Would it be possible to make an animated movie set in Westeros that looked like the art from The World Of Ice And Fire?

Mwm

I’m talking about like the type of photo realization of the portrait of Alysanne and Jahaerys from the worldbook.

or this:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-27db41c5664dd028a5d79a946e1944b1-c

I’m sure hell freezing would be likelier and the costs would be insane if done properly, but all the details they could get right that would be impossible for live action.

Maybe. It'd probably be like that Tintin movie from some years ago when you couldn't tell what was real and what was animated. ;)

Truly, though, for an ASOIAF adaptation that was animated, I'd prefer a series to a movie, and since budgeting's always an issue, something a little more like a high-quality anime would be more viable in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

Maybe. It'd probably be like that Tintin movie from some years ago when you couldn't tell what was real and what was animated. ;)

Truly, though, for an ASOIAF adaptation that was animated, I'd prefer a series to a movie, and since budgeting's always an issue, something a little more like a high-quality anime would be more viable in my opinion. 

To each his own I guess, I remember not being able to stomach that movie.

11 minutes ago, Mwm said:

To each his own I guess, I remember not being able to stomach that movie.

It was unsettling, but it's sort of one of those blends between live-action and 3D that dips into uncanny valley. I guess a more apt comparison would be the rare 2D/3D blends you can see sometimes, which can kind of also be unsettling (e.g. The Dragon Prince, for example).

I feel like unfortunately animation is sort of ghettoised as either being for kids or a medium for crude humour in the west, but I do think an animated adaptation would be awesome.

I would love an animated adaptation of some part of the ASOIAF world. If it was only a film it would have to be a pretty short event like Robert's Rebellion, or Aegon's Conquest. I would love to see a TV series though, maybe about the Blackfyre Rebellions, or the Dance of the Dragons. 

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

It was unsettling, but it's sort of one of those blends between live-action and 3D that dips into uncanny valley. I guess a more apt comparison would be the rare 2D/3D blends you can see sometimes, which can kind of also be unsettling (e.g. The Dragon Prince, for example).

I feel like unfortunately animation is sort of ghettoised as either being for kids or a medium for crude humour in the west, but I do think an animated adaptation would be awesome.

That’s the biggest problem, the only market is aimed at children. Morons in Hollywood won’t do a big budget animated skewed toward adults because it’s never been attempted before, but they’ll sure as hell waste money on a Fantastic Four reboot everyone seemed to figure out except them that it sounded like shit.

19 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I would love an animated adaptation of some part of the ASOIAF world. If it was only a film it would have to be a pretty short event like Robert's Rebellion, or Aegon's Conquest. I would love to see a TV series though, maybe about the Blackfyre Rebellions, or the Dance of the Dragons. 

I would love it if they had used it, or another fantasy series, to break new ground in the art form. By implimanting gritty realistic imagery like paintings rather than CGI or whatever the hell style Disney and Dreamworks do. Manipulate it to get certain brand of effects one couldn’t accomplish in live action like some of the renditions of the battle of the trident, the water splashing a certain way....etc.

Can you imagine the ravens teeth arrows coming down a bit like that 300 slow mo scene-I always though that looked out of place in live action, how they tried to mesh that cgi into the scenes.

I'm not sure they could make a properly animated movie that looked like a painting, not yet at least. They replicated the comic book look with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but that's less organic to begin with. The closest thing I can think of are the clips Blizzard does for World of Warcraft and other games, but those drawings are only partially animated. Something like this.

Edit: There is also Loving Vincent, an apparently fully painted movie, but that looks like a lot of work for an imho not very effective result.

1 hour ago, The Map Guy said:

It would be pretty cool if ASOIAF was presented like a japanese anime. All the dragon battles would be awesome.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why everyone seems to love these...

4 hours ago, The Coconut God said:

I'm not sure they could make a properly animated movie that looked like a painting, not yet at least. They replicated the comic book look with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but that's less organic to begin with. The closest thing I can think of are the clips Blizzard does for World of Warcraft and other games, but those drawings are only partially animated. Something like this.

Edit: There is also Loving Vincent, an apparently fully painted movie, but that looks like a lot of work for an imho not very effective result.

I’m along the same thought pattern on the limitations...

Would be cool if they ever think to develop a movie and video game side by side so one could actually stand up to another and work together for a new storytelling experience.

Theres a rumor Martin is working with the Dark Souls team on a game, never actually played one myself, but I would have to if it were ASOIAF.

7 hours ago, Mwm said:

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why everyone seems to love these...

Cartoons and anime can create colorful imagination that live-action cannot, at least not cheaply.

To create a three-way dragon battle in anime is cheaper and quicker than CGI/live-action.

With books, the imagination can run wild.

With cartoons/anime, the imagination can run wild visually.

10 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Cartoons and anime can create colorful imagination that live-action cannot, at least not cheaply.

To create a three-way dragon battle in anime is cheaper and quicker than CGI/live-action.

With books, the imagination can run wild.

With cartoons/anime, the imagination can run wild visually.

I didn’t mean cartoons in general-Are Anime’s the ones with the huge eyes and weird faces?

On 4/6/2019 at 12:09 AM, Mwm said:

I’m talking about like the type of photo realization of the portrait of Alysanne and Jahaerys from the worldbook.

or this:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-27db41c5664dd028a5d79a946e1944b1-c

I’m sure hell freezing would be likelier and the costs would be insane if done properly, but all the details they could get right that would be impossible for live action.

You mean paying actors and stunt people aren't costly?  It is possible.  Get enough artists and cgi people and it's possible.  Would you want to?  How is it better than live action.

14 hours ago, Mwm said:

I didn’t mean cartoons in general-Are Anime’s the ones with the huge eyes and weird faces?

Well yes, Anime is Japanese cartoons and they do emphasize large eyes ... but it depends on which cartoon and the style of the artists.

Most American cartoons, either for kids or adults, are usually limited to one story per episode. The next episode doesn't have to connect to the last one.

Most Japanese anime, either for kids or adults, usually have ONE story spread out over multiple episodes ... even a season or seasons.

IMO this is style of cartoon is more fitting for ASOIAF ... its more like a comic book that connects each issue after issue.

This is why GRRM choose HBO, a TV show with multiple episodes and multiple seasons.

GRRM didn't want to make ASOIAF into a movie or a movie trilogy. His story is too long and he established a pace for his story ... and his pace can't be rushed.

Also the story-telling style of Anime is flashy, sometimes over-emphasizing and over-dramatizing the smallest little thing.

Example: Anyone remember from the 1990s American cartoon X-Men: The Animated Series? Da-nah nah nah, Da-nah nah nah, nah NAH!

Look at what the Japanese did to their intro when they got their hands on it:

THIS HYBRID JAPANESE ANIME INTRO of an AMERICAN CARTOON IS AWESOME!!!

Even with this awesome intro, people who have seen the American cartoon knows the show is nothing like that lol.

If Fire and Blood, the story of the Targaryens, was an American cartoon ... they would look something like these guys:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/29/be/a6/29bea67459e5ae7731dbc074559aeae6.jpg

Aegon the Conqueror and his warrior sister Visenya! Blackfyre and Dark Sister! lol

Now add that Japanese-anime flare to Aegon's Conquest & some dragons ... we would have a SICK cartoon/anime hybrid.

10 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Well yes, Anime is Japanese cartoons and they do emphasize large eyes ... but it depends on which cartoon and the style of the artists.

Most American cartoons, either for kids or adults, are usually limited to one story per episode. The next episode doesn't have to connect to the last one.

Most Japanese anime, either for kids or adults, usually have ONE story spread out over multiple episodes ... even a season or seasons.

IMO this is style of cartoon is more fitting for ASOIAF ... its more like a comic book that connects each issue after issue.

This is why GRRM choose HBO, a TV show with multiple episodes and multiple seasons.

GRRM didn't want to make ASOIAF into a movie or a movie trilogy. His story is too long and he established a pace for his story ... and his pace can't be rushed.

Also the story-telling style of Anime is flashy, sometimes over-emphasizing and over-dramatizing the smallest little thing.

Example: Anyone remember from the 1990s American cartoon X-Men: The Animated Series? Da-nah nah nah, Da-nah nah nah, nah NAH!

Look at what the Japanese did to their intro when they got their hands on it:

THIS HYBRID JAPANESE ANIME INTRO of an AMERICAN CARTOON IS AWESOME!!!

Even with this awesome intro, people who have seen the American cartoon knows the show is nothing like that lol.

If Fire and Blood, the story of the Targaryens, was an American cartoon ... they would look something like these guys:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/29/be/a6/29bea67459e5ae7731dbc074559aeae6.jpg

Aegon the Conqueror and his warrior sister Visenya! Blackfyre and Dark Sister! lol

Now add that Japanese-anime flare to Aegon's Conquest & some dragons ... we would have a SICK cartoon/anime hybrid.

I was thinking more along the lines of animation the like of which hasn't been done before-something exactly like the artwork presented in the World of Ice and Fire. There is such character in this artwork that is entirely missing from the tv show because there are too many factors an on the ground production has to adhere to and compromise the integrity of the world building. And that would move more like a live action rather than the wily coyote and the road runner. Exactly like a portrait that produces a more faithful transcription than live action rather than a previously shown animated medium. 

12 hours ago, Mwm said:

I was thinking more along the lines of animation the like of which hasn't been done before-something exactly like the artwork presented in the World of Ice and Fire.

Using the artwork of TWOIAF and putting it into motion would be beautiful ... but drawing it frame by frame of that would be tedious work.

I think the average is 12 new pictures for every second in your typical cartoon. 12 simple pictures per second is possible.  But 12 masterpiece artworks per second? lol. There is a reason why cartoons/anime would never look like the artwork of TWOIAF. At that point, CGI or live action would be cheaper.

11 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Using the artwork of TWOIAF and putting it into motion would be beautiful ... but drawing it frame by frame of that would be tedious work.

I think the average is 12 new pictures for every second in your typical cartoon. 12 simple pictures per second is possible.  But 12 masterpiece artworks per second? lol. There is a reason why cartoons/anime would never look like the artwork of TWOIAF. At that point, CGI or live action would be cheaper.

Exactly what I thought...maybe one day the "style" of the artwork can be inputed into an animated cgi model like the code Dreamworks uses.

Archived