That AGoT line foreshadowing the last scene of ADoS

Ida Hearst

Here's how I imagine the Arya/Needle line working (it doesn't necessarily fit with what I think will happen, but rather if the line was it):

Winter has taken over the north, the Others are marching on Winterfell, and Arya fights against the Others allowing the living to flee through the secret tunnels. We never see her again.

Later in the story, after everything is over, maybe years later, in the epilogue, the dream of spring is no longer a dream: spring has returned, the snow starts to melt, and Ghost and Summer wander into the ruins of Winterfell, searching for the sent of their sister Nymeria, and stumble on Arya's frozen body with needle in her hand.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:40 PM, Ida Hearst said:

"You had best run back to your room, little sister. The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You'll be sewing all through the winter. When spring comes, they will find your body with a needle still between your frozen fingers."

I think this is it. There may be other key lines that we will eventually recognize as having foreshadowed the conclusions for various characters (the Tyrion = giant is probably also significant). This is a passage that would have looked unimportant until the author flagged it as necessary. There are little wordplay confirmers that tell me these lines tie into major motifs and Otherworld hints in the series. For instance, the lines refer to spring, and we know the last book will have something to do with spring. Sewing and fabric are also parts of a major set of symbols.

Two Winterfell characters associated with sewing are Old Nan and Septa Mordane. Arya's fate, I fear, is to "become" an Old Nan herself, keeping a low profile and telling scary stories about the heroes of the past. After her escape from King's Landing, Arya has been hiding a long time.

I'm afraid her penance will be very stern.

54 minutes ago, Seams said:

I think this is it. There may be other key lines that we will eventually recognize as having foreshadowed the conclusions for various characters (the Tyrion = giant is probably also significant). This is a passage that would have looked unimportant until the author flagged it as necessary. There are little wordplay confirmers that tell me these lines tie into major motifs and Otherworld hints in the series. For instance, the lines refer to spring, and we know the last book will have something to do with spring. Sewing and fabric are also parts of a major set of symbols.

Two Winterfell characters associated with sewing are Old Nan and Septa Mordane. Arya's fate, I fear, is to "become" an Old Nan herself, keeping a low profile and telling scary stories about the heroes of the past. After her escape from King's Landing, Arya has been hiding a long time.

Ha, that is better than what I wrote. A big time skip and old Arya knitting telling stories the kids aren’t sure they should believe is great.

14 hours ago, briantw said:

I doubt it's the "that's Sansa" line simply because, at that point in the story, she is already engaged to the Crown Prince, so she's already in line to be queen.  Not really foreshadowy enough. 

That scene is just character development for Arya. 

But the dialogue in question is directed at Arya that she would Marry a King - a future she would never want. The same person who tells her that also has a line in the books where he mentions being a father to Queens. The show changed the dialogue for the same reasons many book readers found the line as perplexing. A few chapters later, GRRM has Jon playing out a similar scenario where he is called a King over and over again and deflects the title off on someone else.

14 hours ago, NonoNono said:

Which line would it be?

"You,” Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, “will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon.” - A Game of Thrones 

This is the scene from the graphic novel:

https://i.imgur.com/0DRXtFM.jpg

That quote above also mirrors the scene between Maggy the Frog and a young Cersei. Arya asks three questions about her future just like Cersei does and both girls left puzzled. 

10 hours ago, a black swan said:

But the dialogue in question is directed at Arya that she would Marry a King - a future she would never want. The same person who tells her that also has a line in the books where he mentions being a father to Queens. The show changed the dialogue for the same reasons many book readers found the line as perplexing. A few chapters later, GRRM has Jon playing out a similar scenario where he is called a King over and over again and deflects the title off on someone else.

It doesn't mean king of the seven kingdoms.  It points to Arya marrying the king of winter Jon Snow.  It's almost a guarantee for Jon to replace Mance.  He will rule over the wildlings until he gets killed and becomes a direwolf.  Arya will be his functional mate.  Both while they're human and even after death as wolves.

23 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

It doesn't mean king of the seven kingdoms.  It points to Arya marrying the king of winter Jon Snow.  It's almost a guarantee for Jon to replace Mance.  He will rule over the wildlings until he gets killed and becomes a direwolf.  Arya will be his functional mate.  Both while they're human and even after death as wolves.

:ack:

52 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

King-Beyond-the-Wall and King of Winter/King in the North are different things...

But I am surprised at the notion that the Starks are going to have a proclivity for beginning relationships with people they have grown up with knowing as their siblings, and are biologically related to....

15 hours ago, a black swan said:

"You,” Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, “will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon.” - A Game of Thrones 

This is the scene from the graphic novel:

https://i.imgur.com/0DRXtFM.jpg

That quote above also mirrors the scene between Maggy the Frog and a young Cersei. Arya asks three questions about her future just like Cersei does and both girls left puzzled. 

Yeah that'll be it.

So I'm through now. Here are a few more candidates, but nothing that struck me as more likely than the Arya ones.

- Mormont telling Jon "The things we love destroy us every time" after telling him of Robert's death. (Unlikely - too general to be indispensable as foreshadowing, and the point comes up multiple times throughout the series.)
- Osha telling Bran about the weirwoods: "They're sad. Your lord brother will get no help from them. Their weirwoods in the south were all cut down, thousands of years ago. How can they watch your brother when they have no eyes?" (I still think the eventual resolution will have to do with the Children of the Forest remaining in the weirwoods etc., but if it is, that's likely to come out a while before the final scene)
- Maester Luwin encouraging Bran to become a maester (possible, if underwhelming)
- Bran telling Maester Luwin "I dreamed about the three-eyed crow again last night. He led me down to the crypts. Father was there. He was said. Something to do with Jon, I think."
- Osha telling Bran "Winter's got no king. If you'd seen it, you'd know that, summer boy."
- Mormont telling Jon "The blood of the First Men flows in your veins, the men who _built_ the wall. I think you were meant to be here." (A tad too general for my tastes. Generally the final Mormont/Jon conversation was less interesting in this regard than I'd expected... or maybe I just missed something deep.)
- Hoster Tully insisting that Brynden should have married Bethany Redwyne (that one would be awesomely esoteric)

On 4/7/2019 at 9:01 PM, Seams said:

I’ve always guessed Arya would die based on how much trauma she’s endured (hard to live a normal life after that, like Frodo) and the quote about needle. However, I like the idea that she would become an old nan type

• 2 weeks later...

Something else came to me, but I'm not sure the line is in the comics. There is a scene, when Jon and Tyrion go to CB, where Tyrion says that he used to dream of dragons, and then he adds something along the lines of "I know you had the same dreams". This could foreshadow an ending where we learn that Tyrion had guessed that Jon was R+L very early in the Game.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually think it will be Jeyne, not Arya, who will be found frozen with a needle in her hand. Something tells me that in the next book Jeyne Poole will meet an unfortunate incident before she even gets to Castle Black and dies in the open and thereby fulfills the foreshadowing. That would be an interesting plot twist.

Archived