Football: of great teams having an exceptional season and exceptional teams having a great season.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I read a while back that UEFA are considering abolishing the away goals rule.

Good. Makes no sense now. Made sense in the 1940s when it was a pain in the ass to get anywhere but everywhere is within 3 hours by private plane these days.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

They brought it in for a good reason, because too many teams were hugely negative away from home, and it could well go back to that without the rule.

I don't see what the issue is. It sucks to go out that way, sure, but not more so than going out on penalties.

The issue is someone is going through without being better/beating the other team.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

The game going to penalties kind of leads to that too though.

True but at least penalties give's both teams a chance. Albeit a shit one. Away goals removes that completely. Flipping a coin would be better than away goals.

7 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

The issue is someone is going through without being better/beating the other team.

That's an awkward point you raise because Spurs did beat City in 1st leg (being better than them, moreover)

Spurs will find a very tough opponent in Ajax though, especially without Kane and Son. But who knows what can happen in this mad CL edition...

Curious about how they'll sustain their PL campain too.

I'm fine with away goals as a decider.  It was miserable when teams just parked the bus in their away leg.  Travel to away legs may be much easier now, but there's still a definite advantage for a team playing at home -- it shows up in league results every week, where travel is even easier.  Plus it creates a more exciting dynamic when a draw/penalties is no longer possible.  Spurs just scored three goals away from home and were rewarded for their enterprise.  I'd rather see that than two teams desperate not to concede and willing to go to penalties.

Considering we just saw QFs with a 6-1, an incredible 4-4 between City & Spurs, United getting spanked and Ajax upsetting Juve -- a very high-scoring round of games -- it seems like a weird moment to complain that the old system was better. 

And I say that even though it would benefit Liverpool to remove away goals, because we generally score a lot more at home than away.

Just saw that Son will be suspended for the 1st leg against Ajax due to picking up three yellow cards That's a huge blow for them as Kane might not be available either. Sissoko looked like he picked up a groin injury and depending on severity, he could be out as well.

ETA. wrt the away goals rule. I'm fine if it stays in place. What I don't agree with is away goals counting should a tie go into extra time because you end up with a situation where away goals are in play for 90 minutes in the 1st leg but 120 minutes in the second. If a tie goes into extra time then away goals should no longer count during extra time imo. 

Well,we basically walked through the quarters pretty easily overall.I'm excited to be facing Barca in the semi's. Will be bittersweet watching us play against Suarez and Cou.

Watched the highlights of City vs Spurs,what a game!!. The look on Fraudiola's face at the end was priceless! :D (he's lost 20 of his 26 knockout Champions league away ties)

On the away goals thing, I don’t see the issue.  You need to do something to resolve ties, everybody knows what the situation is in that second leg and it does exactly what it’s supposed to do which is make the game more interesting. And the winning team does “beat” the other one, on number of away goals scored.

City succumbed the way they always succumb (on the rare occasion they do), by being slack at the back.

Yeah, scrapping the away goals rule seems like madness, especially when the CL has been full of goal laden games over the past few years.

It does exactly what it's intended to, it makes teams try harder to get goals away from home. 

Every single football team (apart from Palace) are better at home than away. That's not a coincidence. It's easier to play at home than away. 

Coaches around Europe are the ones who petitioned UEFA to scrap the away goals rule as the feeling among coaches is that the rule has tipped things too far in favour of the away side which has forced teams playing at home to adopt increasingly defensive tactics. BBC published an article a while back with data that seems to back that up. 

Comparing the numbers from when away goals was introduced (the 60s) to present day shows that the current decade (since 2010) has seen the highest percentage of away wins ever in European competitions, teams are also scoring more goals away from home in Europe than in any previous decade but conversely teams are now scoring fewer goals at home than ever before. 

Moving back to the title race.

I think yesterday's game was a real kick in the teeth for City, they will feel that for a while - especially Sterling's last minute winner (correctly) ruled offside. So that should give Liverpool a small edge. Having that said, let's see how City will get yesterday out of their system by completely falttening Spurs, while Liverpool will unexpectedly drop points against Cardiff.

Archived