Football: of great teams having an exceptional season and exceptional teams having a great season.

Frankfurt through to face Chelsea. Not quite as compelling as the first leg as Benfica were too passive for their own good, letting Frankfurt try to break them down. They got the luck this time with the decision to allow Kostic’s goal from an offside position. Nice for Rode to get the winner, who has been excellent in the Europa League since rejoining in January.

So as we move into the semi-final stage, it's possible that we could have both CL and EL finals contested only by PL teams. 

Chelsea and Arsenal are probably both favorites in their semi-finals, and I think Spurs have been made narrow favorites in theirs.  Liverpool are the only one of the four not favored to go through.

27 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Chelsea and Arsenal are probably both favorites in their semi-finals, and I think Spurs have been made narrow favorites in theirs.  Liverpool are the only one of the four not favored to go through.

I think the people who have made Spurs favourites are showing their EPL bias. Ajax just dumped out both Real Madrid and Juventus and outplayed both those teams for large portions of those respective ties and especially in the away fixtures. Plus Spurs will likely be without Kane, Son is suspended for the 1st leg and we don't yet know how serious Sissoko's injury is. It's a 50-50 tie and I'd even give Ajax a slight edge for the 1st leg.

Liverpool and Barca is very much a 50-50 game as well. Barca showed a vulnerability to aggressive pressing and they can be exploited down the flanks as well as none of their front line help out defensively and Alba plays more as a winger than a fullback. United's pressing isn't well coordinated as yet and we only had Ashley 'can't-pass-or-cross' Young to exploit the spaces down the one flank. Liverpool are far better at both pressing and exploiting spaces down both flanks than United. I expect your lot to cause Barca a lot more problems than we did.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, Consigliere said:

Fucking incredible. Spurs will just not lay down.

ETA. correct call to award the goal.

The ref thinks it didn't hit his arm. It did. Next season it is explicitly stated that use of the arm/hand in scoring a goal must be disallowed.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:38 PM, ljkeane said:

Yeah, it does brush his arm slightly but I think Llorente's trying to pull his arm away rather than deliberately handling it.

Irrelevant, no? Had it not hit his arm the ball is unlikely to have ricocheted on target.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:39 PM, Philokles said:

Not even sure it hit his arm. Peter Walton on BT saying it hit his knee - could do with some anatomy lessons.

Ah Walton, responsible for some of the worst refereed games I've ever watched and appears to have sided with every controversial decision against City in the CL this season. And yes, it did hit his arm.

That said, I understand that in the heat of the moment and the replay video the ref looked at, it was pretty difficult to judge well enough to make such a big call as to disallow it.

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Irrelevant, no? Had it not hit his arm the ball is unlikely to have ricocheted on target.

Er, no. Deliberate handball is a foul, accidentally handling the ball isn’t.

On top of that, no, I don’t think the ball brushing off his arm made much difference to it’s trajectory. It bounced off his side into the goal, arm or not I think it’s likely doing the same thing.

17 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Have you been away for so long that you've lost your 'u's, Isk? Colouur me disappointed!

:) I’ve lived in the US for almost 19 years now.  I gave in on American spellings — fewer u’s but lots of z’s — after a few years of everyone and MicroSoft Office correcting me all the time.  The real tragedy was when I started saying toma(y)to and ba(y)sil.  At this point, Irish people would view me as American even if  Americans still view me as Irish, or possibly Canadian.

I think this is the key game for the title race.

City could be flat after getting knocked out of Europe, if they drop any points today it piles massive pressure on the derby for them. Alternatively they could be especially motivated to do well in the league now, a big win today and I’d expect them to win out from here.

ETA: Foden starts for City. That’s interesting.

ETA: Fuck’s sake Spurs. How do City win two headers in the box with 3 centrebacks playing.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

ETA: Foden starts for City. That’s interesting.

How so?

According to Guardiola he is always pretty close to breaking into their starting XI. So he rates him quite highly, So him coming in rested is not that surprising imho. I mean, what'S the point of a deep squad if you don't use it? I am more surprised Sane didn't get a start today, too. As he didn't play that many minutes Wednesday and should be rested.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

How so?

Presumably David Silva’s not ok to play 2 games in quick succession. The obvious thing to do though would be to drop Bernardo Silva into midfield and play one of Sané or Mahrez. That Foden plays suggests he might be moving ahead of them in the pecking order.

Milan have thrown CL away in all likelihood. Have to wonder if they wouldn’t have had that fourth spot wrapped up if they had a more experienced coach. Gattuso seems to park the bus everytime he gets the lead. 

Turned city/spurs off after City scored in the first 5 minutes for the millionth time. Surprised to see it’s still 1-0

Just now, ljkeane said:

I think that’s done it. Maybe there’ll be a crazy result in the Manchester derby but given United’s form I can’t see it.:frown5:

Yeah agree. Crazy that if both teams win out that our loss against City prevents us from being invincible centurions :lol:  :crying:

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think that’s done it. Maybe there’ll be a crazy result in the Manchester derby but given United’s form I can’t see it.:frown5:

City will hammer them unfortunately.In the end, it all comes down to those stupid draws,especially those back to back draws.:(

Archived