Football: of great teams having an exceptional season and exceptional teams having a great season.

45 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm surprised United started Pereira tonight - he's such a stroppy dickhead there's no way he'll last the whole game on the pitch.

This seems weird. He's never stood out to me as unusually stroppy.

Anyway he's played quite well and City have clearly been confused by the fact that we started with two playmakers. Obviously they're dominating play but we've defended well and created a few chances so can't complain.

Arsenal, meanwhile, are getting smashed up by Wolves.

We can't defend, barely create anything and sure as hell can't finish. City are way too good for us but the way we have been playing for the past month, it's actually very difficult to see us pick up any wins in the remaining fixtures. Chelsea next and it looks like a draw is the best result we can hope for. Even the likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield look like difficult games for us. Race for top 4 is a three horse race now. 

De Gea really has been looking overrated in the last few matches. And United's attack is impotent at this point.

Someone powerful made some strange bet, which has made United, Arsenal, and Chelsea to trip over themselves on who can fuck up more.

Oh Arsenal.

If we don't make the CL this year we are going to look like the biggest screw-ups since...well, the last time Arsenal threw something away.

I really hope we're not just mentally relying on the Europa League. There's still a few tough games to go there.

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

De Gea really has been looking overrated in the last few matches

Last year

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

PFA team - 6 City, 4 liverpool and Pogba (played well for 2 month's, again proving that having the vote when they do is beyond fucking ridiculius). Also no Hazard. 

What a joke. Pogba is no where near deserving. 

I wonder if the Pogba inclusion is to do with the timing of the voting. He did his an amazing patch a while back, which might have coincided when votes were cast (I havent checked). There are definitely players who are far more deserving.. Hazard, Son, Neves I'd rather have there than Pogba.

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

De Gea really has been looking overrated in the last few matches.

He does make mistakes now that he didn't before. Second goal last night is his.

I actually wouldn't blame him for the first - it's a hard shot, well placed, and Bernardo pulls the trigger fast.

Pogba's inclusion is undoubtedly as a result of when the vote takes place. D.Silva should be in his place.

Re: De Gea. While he has been great for us for 5 seasons, if he doesn't lower his wage demands then I think we should consider selling - he's reportedly demanding in excess of £400k/week while United have offered £300k/week. Even on his current deal (£200k/week), DDG is the highest paid GK in the world so it's not like we are lowballing him. Handing Sanchez that contract was a big mistake but that doesn't mean we should now double down on that mistake by allowing every player to hold the club to ransom. 

15 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Chelsea next and it looks like a draw is the best result we can hope for. 

If Man United perform how they did in the first half against City, they should beat Chelsea. Not that Man United were good in the first half, they just pressed and ran about a lot. Chelsea don't like teams showing any form of intensity against them.

As for the DdG conversation, if those wage demands are correct, he's asking for far more than he's worth, even with the Alexis deal taken into consideration. On the other side, though, he's absolutely the only player in the Man United side that they wouldn't be able to replace with someone better. 

He's not been at his best this season, but he is still one of the top five goalkeepers in the world, at least - and Man United are unlikely to be able to sign any of the other four to replace him.

Courtois could be an (unlikely) option, if Zidane decides he isn't keen on him, but Courtois is still a downgrade on DdG.

We're never going to get one of the current top keepers but we can try for one of the up and coming keepers. Lafont at Fiorentina looks very promising or we could promote Romero for a season while we weigh up options or we could give Dean Henderson a shot who has had two good seasons out on loan at Shrewsbury and Sheffield United. 

We should make an effort to keep DDG but not for the reported wages. We'd be much better served actually investing in the defence. How the likes of Smalling and Jones still start is beyond me. After all these years we have still not properly replaced either Ferdinand or Vidic. It's only this season that Shaw has looked like he could be a good replacement for Evra.

Archived