Football: of great teams having an exceptional season and exceptional teams having a great season.

2 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

We know what Keita is capable of doing, he was player of the year in 2 different leagues.From what i've seen of Fred,he looks bang average at best.Hence why i said is he really Brazilian. :P

Fred was pretty great for Shaktar though. If he doesn't perform next season as well then you'd have a point. Same for Keita - if his performance levels next season are no better than this then there is reason to question him. But it's premature to write off a player and call them "bang average" (which Fred isn't) after just one season in a new country and league. Some players take longer than others to adapt and it's been a turbulent season at United as well.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Liverpool going to finish with the third highest points in EPL history, the downside, City are going to finish with the second highest points in EPL history.

I am really not sure, whether this I should sympathize with Liverpool or laugh at them. Probably sympathize, as in I don't feel any animus towards them and their fans; while I really dislike City's sugardaddies.

I agree with your logic — City play great football but it’s all financial doping from a squalid source.  OTOH plenty of rival fans would hate to see Liverpool win based on the very same reasoning.  If City win they can shrug and say no-one can compete with their spending (even though United spends just as much), but if Liverpool win they lose that excuse.  

I prefer City to win just because Liverpool fan's reaction to not winning is always much funnier than City fans, who apart from the hardcore insane on whatever their fansite is called (and all members of all of those are insane) are quite reasonable about it.

48 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

If City win they can shrug and say no-one can compete with their spending (even though United spends just as much), but if Liverpool win they lose that excuse.   

I don't think that reasoning works. My personal opinion is, that Liverpool is having a "fluke season". Almost any close game goes in their favour, and they're performing pointwise in the EPL at their absolute limit and arguably even beyond that. And it looks like that's still not enough to win the league. Arsenal's invincible wouldn't win the league this year, Uniteds' great teams wouldn't win it either, and neither would prime Chelsea under Mourinho. Liverpool is further in their squad building process than any of them. The other team with a more or less complete squad is Tottenham, and they are mere spectators in that race.

Anyway, I think Liverpool will regress a bit next season (pointwise), and gather 80-90 points next season. Which is still pretty good, objectively. Just that City will again be in their 90-100 points range.

Liverpool are over performing this season but if they have another good transfer window then 90 points or more could become their new level.

I wouldn't call the title race just yet. City should get the job done but Leicester could be a tricky fixture even though it's a home game for City. 

Did you turn scouse, while I wasn't looking? :leaving:

Ok, joking aside. Tom effing Trybull is playing for Norwich and thus playing EPL football next year? How on earth did that happen? Has he finally grown up, or has Farke found a magic spell that turned him into a professional footballer? Here Trybull has pretty much earnt him self the reputation as a lost talent. He was once considered to be one of the most gifted footballers of his generation, somebody from Bremen (his first professional team) was quoted with if he doesn't play for Barcelona in 5 years, we must have done something wrong.

Then he joined us, and his performances in training and on the pitch were so lacklustre that we moved him on after a year. His next stop was Fürth, where he again played for their second team, and they also were quite happy to move him on after one season.

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Did you turn scouse, while I wasn't looking? :leaving:

Hell no. I just don't think that Liverpool are that far behind City. The difference is in depth among the forwards and creativity through the middle. Liverpool's first choice front three are great but there's a big drop off after that and they don't have anyone in midfield with the creative skills of a KdB, D.Silva or B.Silva. I'd say get rid of Origi, Lallana and Sturridge and look to make 3 or 4 signing to beef up those positions. 

I’d agree that Liverpool have outperformed this season.  We’ve been very efficient at collecting points (although nowhere near as much as United outperformed their level of play last season), especially considering we had long periods when our attack was misfiring.  And we’ve been fortunate to avoid injuries to our front three, although Salah was obviously inhibited by lingering damage to his shoulder for the first few months.

But with this defense, a relatively young team, Ox returning and Fabinho & Keita now acclimated, I think we could expect 90 points next season provided we add some depth up front.  We have a very good foundation.  If we can improve results against the top 6 (too many draws there) then we can even exceed that.  

Of course predictions like that will leave the Fates convulsed with laughter.  We’ll see what actually happens.

That was a decent point for Chelsea yesterday, considering both Tottenham and Arsenal lost. Neither team played particularly good football, but they both battled hard and put in the effort. A draw was a fair result, on the balance of play. 

It's really a proper slog for all four teams involved in the 3rd / 4th race, as none of the four can find the kind of form to secure the positions. All it would have taken would have been two of them to go on a half decent run of wins and the battle for third and fourth would be over already, but the fact all four regularly drop points, it's still open. 

Has there ever been less impressive third or fourth placed teams in the PL than whichever teams finish in those two positions this season?

Archived