Football: of great teams having an exceptional season and exceptional teams having a great season.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Sure and I don't think that's ideal but if he gets a job he gets a job but my problem is with Strachan equating the inevitable abuse of him with racist abuse of players.

I think his wording was pretty insensitive and there is no way he should be trying to equate those things. What he seems to be saying however is that we shouldn't tolerate any form of abuse from the terraces, and he would be right if that was his opinion. 

On the topic of abuse, I do think you really do notice the difference at different grounds and in different terraces. Any time I'm up the sides at a Prem game, its all quite dignified and friendly, in fact I've seen people being told to sit down and shut up if they get too mouthy. But if you sit closer to the pitch or behind the goal the support is often a lot more abusive. 
Go lower down the leagues and the problem gets a lot worse. 

The money in the game has caused a real gentrification of the game at the top end, with many people being priced out of being able to go to games.. but the prawn sandwich brigade are often a bit more polite, which is an upside.

The Strachan thing - I’m struggling to see the harm in the sense that his comments make no sense.  From the transcripts I’ve seen he appears to be implying that we have to allow abuse of Johnson if we want to stamp out racist abuse.  I mean there is a conflation because of word proximity so yes, apology needed but I don’t think this should sink him as a pundit.  Sky’s statement just entirely disowning the situation is the kind of bullshit you always see from broadcasters in such circumstances.

3 hours ago, john said:

The Strachan thing - I’m struggling to see the harm in the sense that his comments make no sense.  From the transcripts I’ve seen he appears to be implying that we have to allow abuse of Johnson if we want to stamp out racist abuse.  I mean there is a conflation because of word proximity so yes, apology needed but I don’t think this should sink him as a pundit.  Sky’s statement just entirely disowning the situation is the kind of bullshit you always see from broadcasters in such circumstances.

That is... not my understanding of what he said.

I understood it as in if we protect black players from racist abuse, then we have to protect him from abuse for being a convicted sexual predator, too. Implying both are equal (what aboutism in pure form). Another reading would be, there's nothing to be done, so those black pussies should just suck it up.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That is... not my understanding of what he said.

I understood it as in if we protect black players from racist abuse, then we have to protect him from abuse for being a convicted sexual predator, too. Implying both are equal (what aboutism in pure form). Another reading would be, there's nothing to be done, so those black pussies should just suck it up.

I realise that’s the objection and I haven’t watched the clip, but the bbc article reporting it quotes him saying

“If he goes on to the pitch and people start calling him names, have we got to do the same as it is to the racist situation?" ... 

"Is it all right to call him names now after doing his three years - have we got to allow that to happen?"

Maybe I’m being overly generous but it seems like the fact he’s questioning the idea of shutting down abuse of Johnson suggests he does think the two situations are different (but possibly assumes that in an abusive football fan’s mind they would be conflated).  I think it’s just a case of bad punditry rather than actually being a racist.

Gomez is fit enough to be on the bench. Fingers crossed he's able to get back to full fitness for the run in.

ETA: Er, less good news it was apparently supposed to be Moreno on the bench but he wasn't fit enough so they've drafted Gomez in. Still, at least he's at the stage were he's an option to be on the bench.

24 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I think there was a slight deflection on that.

I'm not looking for him to fail - I want him to do well!

There was definitely a deflection. Despite that I think this has been comfortably Keita's best game in a Liverpool shirt, he's been good.

Decent result for Liverpool but Porto showed enough to think they've got a reasonable chance at home. We probably could have done with the tie being over to allow an easier game in the second leg.

On the plus side it looks like City are really going to have to dig deep. 

17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Weirdly I think both spurs and city would have taken the 1-0.

Idk about City - it's a tricky scoreline for them. They will be confident of winning at home but one away goal for Spurs would mean that City have to score three. City have a deep squad but the downside of going all the way to the final in both domestic cups means that they've had to play two games a week for practically the entire season. That's bound to take a toll. 

And City managed to injure Kane before they play Spurs in the CL and PL over the next two weeks.  That's convenient.

Good result for Liverpool.  We could have scored another to make it more comfortable but we know we'll get some chances against Porto as they have to attack.  Once again our opponents target the right side of our defense.

Archived