What end of the story will satisfy you

T and A

45 minutes ago, Aurane said:

Good idea but the show and books seem to have anti feudalistic themes. I doubt that the show is going to end with a king literally being chosen by god to rule over the kingdom. Besides, I'm not really sure if R'hllor has the best definition of a just ruler. I'm fairly sure that the reason that Jon was brought back will not be answered.

Lol, another "Westeros won't be a monarchy anymore". You guys always crack me up.

Newsflash: Westeros is not going to suddenly go from a feudal monarchy to a republic, democracy, or anything even close. At most it'll become even more of an absolutist monarchy, since the feudal nobles' power is extremely weakened after the wars, and that's one of the requirements to make the leap towards absolutism.

Even GRRM said he had it planned who'll sit the IT in the end. Representative governments appearing out of the blue simply wouldn't make any sense.

49 minutes ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

I personally don't think he is a good leader. So I don't subscribe to that mindset. I'm putting my support behind Gendry and Sansa. A Baratheon restoration is what's needed not Targarian.

Jon Snow is not a good leader, but mr Gendry "I'm a blacksmith who has no clue about leading anything or anyone", and is also illiterate IIRC (though I may be wrong on that one) is a better choice? Good joke.

53 minutes ago, Xemi said:

Lol, another "Westeros won't be a monarchy anymore". You guys always crack me up.

Newsflash: Westeros is not going to suddenly go from a feudal monarchy to a republic, democracy, or anything even close. At most it'll become even more of an absolutist monarchy, since the feudal nobles' power is extremely weakened after the wars, and that's one of the requirements to make the leap towards absolutism.

Even GRRM said he had it planned who'll sit the IT in the end. Representative governments appearing out of the blue simply wouldn't make any sense.

No, that's not what I was talking about but I get how you can interpret it like that. I definitely think that it'll still be a feudal society. I don't think that there's a satisfying and believable way to do otherwise. I think that it's pretty clear that there's a lot of criticisms of this type of government system. What I was saying was that GRRM's tendency to leave vague gray areas when it comes to the right to succession makes it pretty hard to believe that the story will end with a god just choosing a champion to be the rightful king.

I'm a bit late to the party. After 3 episodes a few avenues have been shut but I'll give a go:

• Most main characters die in the "final" game of thrones.
  • KL will be destroyed. They can rebuild the capital or move it somewhere else.
  • As most houses have died, new governors will be appointed. I guess they'll be hereditary (which means they're vulnerable to a weak heir in the line).
  • I don't see many IT candidates that will fit the story line. I think Sansa remains in the north as Lady of WF and involuntarily ends up as Queen of the realm.
  • Sansa wants to rebuild the realm and wants more maesters and craftsmen. This requires more education and urbanisation which in turn makes the Seven Kingdoms richer.

What I don't really get is that the previous kingdoms existed for thousands of years but they stay relatively agricultural. At that stage of stability (and war) the economic needs of the state would gravitate towards cities and manufacturing. Well, GRRM was surprised that a  700ft wall "is actually too tall" or Arya "is too young I'm bad at ages", so he mucks up millennia old states that are static (even Egypt wasn't the same after 4000 years as kingdom).

3 hours ago, Xemi said:

Jon Snow is not a good leader, but mr Gendry "I'm a blacksmith who has no clue about leading anything or anyone", and is also illiterate IIRC (though I may be wrong on that one) is a better choice? Good joke.

That's why I said Gendry AND Sansa. Gendry has the birthright, the fighting prowess and the knowledge of the common people. Sansa has the political knowledge and understands the aristocrocy. It's a perfect fit. Their strenghths cover each others weaknesses. Together they would create the ideal administration. 

5 hours ago, Squall said:

What I don't really get is that the previous kingdoms existed for thousands of years but they stay relatively agricultural. At that stage of stability (and war) the economic needs of the state would gravitate towards cities and manufacturing. Well, GRRM was surprised that a  700ft wall "is actually too tall" or Arya "is too young I'm bad at ages", so he mucks up millennia old states that are static (even Egypt wasn't the same after 4000 years as kingdom).

This is a weak feature of Fantasy World-Building. Most fantasy worlds are based on the Medieval period, but whether they are or not, however deeply the author creates the world (and GRRM is #1 in my view), they all seem to get stuck with economic and technological development. Indeed, since the Bronze of the First Men was superceded by the Iron of the Andals, technology in Westeros has not progressed a jot in 8000 years!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 6:18 PM, Kajjo said:

he Iron throne has to be destroyed. No one will sit on the Iron throne.  [...] The throne was created by dragon fire, it should come to an end with dragon fire.

If someone were to sit on the Iron throne, this would be really disappointing to me.

My expectations were fulfilled. I am pleased with the end.

I really hope for an ending with a satisfying explanation of the White Walkers, the Three-eyed Raven and the role of the Children of the Forest.

No explanation for these issues. That was clear after E3. Somehow disappointing, but overall it works our for me. These topics were not pivotal to the whole story of Game of Thrones.

All White walkers and wights should die in the moment the Night King dies. Loudest battle clamour, suddenly utter silence. The great war is over. But of course the South is still holding up... the next war to come.

Exactly like this. Perfect.

I wish for Sansa and Arya to survive and have a future worth living. The pack survives.

Fulfilled.

Altogether, a nice wrap-up.

Archived