Cats: They Own You

A True Kaniggit

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:25 AM, litechick said:

It's been a rough week.  I saw this thread and specifically decided not to contribute and not be a massive bummer but I've changed my mind.

/snip

That's heartbreaking.  :grouphug:  

Here's a semi-bright spot, anyway.  I learned SO MUCH from the Kitten Lady video, I went on and watched a lot more of them, particularly why she supports "kill shelters."  It completely did a 180 on my head.  

I don't "share" many things on Facebook, but that one in particular I did.

I'm not the kind of person who would shout "oooooh so cuuuuute" at the sight of a cat. I know people who knettle pullover in winter for their cats, who send them seeing a "shrink-cat" if needed, and who can't move if a cat sit on their lap. I definitly won't do that. In sum, I like cats but I'm not a cat person. However I intend to get one once I'm settled in my new appartement (I move next week). I frequently check the photos on the nearest shelter website. And while I don't know yet what my future pet looks like, I'm already freaking out.

Can I handle such responsability? And what if I forget to feed it? What if accidentally I step on it? What if I don't like it?

And now @A True Kaniggit raised new issues: bath? I did not even know it was possible (and I duly note that 3 years old nieces are not compatible with cats). Belly rubs? Well, I thought that if the cat does not purr, it means it is not happy, so I would just stop rubbing whatever part of its body.

Do you think we need special skills to have a cat? Careful attention, special empathy leading to special bond between the cat and us, or just knowledge about cats?

1 hour ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

And what if I forget to feed it? What if accidentally I step on it? What if I don't like it?

1) They'll remind you. Loudly. 2) They're more likely to "accidentally" trip you up (be extra careful at the top of stairs, if you have them!). 3) Not possible.

1 hour ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

And now @A True Kaniggit raised new issues: bath? I did not even know it was possible (and I duly note that 3 years old nieces are not compatible with cats). Belly rubs? Well, I thought that if the cat does not purr, it means it is not happy, so I would just stop rubbing whatever part of its body.

I expect some cats would make bathing pretty impossible, and under normal circumstances it's not necessary; I've never done it. Though our cat does frequently insist on having the bath tap turned on to a trickle so she can drink running water. And cats tend to have more obvious ways to indicate displeasure than merely not purring. They doesn't necessarily start purring immediately even if they're perfectly happy.

17 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

I'm not the kind of person who would shout "oooooh so cuuuuute" at the sight of a cat. I know people who knettle pullover in winter for their cats, who send them seeing a "shrink-cat" if needed, and who can't move if a cat sit on their lap. I definitly won't do that. In sum, I like cats but I'm not a cat person. However I intend to get one once I'm settled in my new appartement (I move next week). I frequently check the photos on the nearest shelter website. And while I don't know yet what my future pet looks like, I'm already freaking out.

Can I handle such responsability? And what if I forget to feed it? What if accidentally I step on it? What if I don't like it?

Do you think we need special skills to have a cat? Careful attention, special empathy leading to special bond between the cat and us, or just knowledge about cats?

Cats don't really need baths because they're incessant and OCD self-groomers. But if you must, baby wipes work just fine. I wouldn't even try to give any of mine a bath--the last time I did (she had gotten out and was covered in fleas), I ended up on antibiotics from a really nasty bite on my finger. 

You don't need any special skills to own a cat. They're not dogs--they pretty much take care of themselves. You won't forget to feed it because they won't let you forget. :) And all but the smallest kitten will get out of the way if they see you coming. 

I would suggest an older cat. They need homes too. 

@Yet another Arya ! :

Have you watched any of the TRILLIONS of funny cat videos that one can hardly avoid on YouTube?  If that doesn't turn you into a cat lover, nothing will.  

(Disclaimer: There are a few videos of feral cats that animal control is trying to capture that I'd probably avoid if I were you.  One that springs to mind concerns an AC officer whose balls will never be the same after a particularly grueling encounter.) 

@Ice Queen and @felice : thanks for your kind replies, I feel reassured! (If needed baby whipes are indeed a good solution) My fear was to fail in "connecting" with my cat. I saw a lot of amazing relationships cat/person and kept thinking "why not me?".

I thought to a grown-up cat, provided it is used to living in an appartement (I don't know at this stage if a cat can climb the wall of my terrace). Moreover I was told older cats are often overlooked by people visiting shelters: they prefer to adopt younger cats. But old cats faced a lot of bad stuff before landing in a shelter and somehow I think they deserve care and a warm home, so I was already inclined to take an adult cat.

@Tears of Lys: I don't watch anything on Youtube but OST of GOT (I know it sounds like a creepy hard-core fan without social life, but I'm a huge fan of the music) and movies OST. Sooooo...I went on Youtube, typed "cat funny", and stayed a long time watching that could become soon a new addiction. But my tender heart can't stand the sight of people making fun of cats in distress (for instance, they laugh because the cat head is stuck in a box, or a quite heavy object falls upon the cat, or a cat falls into water -ok for this one I smiled). I like cat-based humor, but only if the cat is absolutely safe and doing well. Fortunatelly I did not see videos of feral cats being caught!

I will go to the shelter the first week-end of August, can't wait!

@Yet another Arya !

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life. I had no intention of getting a cat...and now I have 5. :) 

Cats adjust, even the ones that are used to being outdoors. I took in the "neighborhood cat" last year. She found the couch and won't go near the door now. She adopted us. She had lived in the neighborhood since she was a kitten. Many people tried to bring her inside, but she wanted nothing to do with it, so everyone just took care of her--fed her, put outdoor cat houses on their porches so she would be warm. One woman even had a heated house for her.  She adopted us, not the other way around, and now she wants nothing to do with being outside. 

This is my opinion and is no way intended to be judgmental, but letting them outside isn't really good for them anyway. I know they're natural hunters, but they live much longer and healthier lives if they're kept indoors. It drives me nuts when people in the neighborhood let their unfixed pet cats roam. Before you know it, you're overrun with kittens. 

Adopting from the shelter means they're spayed/neutered and are up to date on all their shots. And there are so many cats in shelters that giving one of them a home is the kindest thing you could do for them. :) 

5 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

I don't know at this stage if a cat can climb the wall of my terrace

Yes, they can.

5 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

But old cats faced a lot of bad stuff before landing in a shelter and somehow I think they deserve care and a warm home, so I was already inclined to take an adult cat.

That is good of you. :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

I will go to the shelter the first week-end of August, can't wait!

Good!

Just know what comes with owning a cat. If you're adopting an older one like you mentioned, with any luck they might be fairly well house trained. But be aware that your furniture will be fair game as a scratching post if they don't already know better.

Also litter. Keep it clean. Because if you don't, you shouldn't be upset when they find somewhere else to do their business in your house.

16 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

This is my opinion and is no way intended to be judgmental, but letting them outside isn't really good for them anyway. I know they're natural hunters, but they live much longer and healthier lives if they're kept indoors. It drives me nuts when people in the neighborhood let their unfixed pet cats roam. Before you know it, you're overrun with kittens.

Yep. Neither of my cats are allowed outside. They're both fixed, so I don't have to worry about the kitten problem. But there are way too many stray dogs in this area for comfort.

8 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Yep. Neither of my cats are allowed outside. They're both fixed, so I don't have to worry about the kitten problem. But there are way too many stray dogs in this area for comfort.

We have coyotes--cats are a tasty little snack for them., We also have hawks and bald eagles. A few years ago, one of our eagle nests made international news because the adults fed their eaglets a cat on live cam. 

While I was on vacation a few weeks ago someone's pet cat got hit by a car and died.  

8 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Good!

Just know what comes with owning a cat. If you're adopting an older one like you mentioned, with any luck they might be fairly well house trained. But be aware that your furniture will be fair game as a scratching post if they don't already know better.

Also litter. Keep it clean. Because if you don't, you shouldn't be upset when they find somewhere else to do their business in your house.

Completely agree! Clean litter boxes are a must. Ideally you need one per cat, plus an extra one, but with one cat you can have just one. (I have 6 litter boxes so everyone has their favorite.)

Sometimes you might have to try different litters to see which one they prefer. Most cats aren't that picky, but some are pretty OCD about it. They do seem to prefer unscented litter, which I do buy. I add Arm n Hammer carpet powder to it in the summer, and I have Litter Genies. 

I have a scratching post that has survived a total of 7 cats over the years. It just met its match in my kitten. He has torn and unraveled the sisal completely off of it. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 2:25 AM, Ice Queen said:

We have coyotes--cats are a tasty little snack for them., We also have hawks and bald eagles. A few years ago, one of our eagle nests made international news because the adults fed their eaglets a cat on live cam. 

While I was on vacation a few weeks ago someone's pet cat got hit by a car and died.  

Did this eagle thing really happen? Or was it grainy film of eagles with something or rather? I am moving to a bit of land that has a pair or eagles and a pair of hawks that patrol it. I searched the web and only found the grainy film. Eagles are rumoured to take baby lambs but my friends with a hobby farm say they don't. I have gone from worrying about the cats hunting birds to vice versa. We can build an enclosure but one of them in particular would not be happy.

18 hours ago, Castellan said:

Did this eagle thing really happen? Or was it grainy film of eagles with something or rather? I am moving to a bit of land that has a pair or eagles and a pair of hawks that patrol it. I searched the web and only found the grainy film. Eagles are rumoured to take baby lambs but my friends with a hobby farm say they don't. I have gone from worrying about the cats hunting birds to vice versa. We can build an enclosure but one of them in particular would not be happy.

No, it really happened. Thousands of people watched it live. Look up Pittsburgh Hays eagles cat. 

Generally speaking, bald eagles can't dead lift anything heavier than 10 pounds, so lambs are usually safe. Although their main diet is fish, they will take carrion, which made some experts believe that the cat was already dead when the eagle got it (we can only hope), but we'll never know what happened. Hawks, however, are known to prey on cats and small dogs. 

6 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

No, it really happened. Thousands of people watched it live. Look up Pittsburgh Hays eagles cat. 

Generally speaking, bald eagles can't dead lift anything heavier than 10 pounds, so lambs are usually safe. Although their main diet is fish, they will take carrion, which made some experts believe that the cat was already dead when the eagle got it (we can only hope), but we'll never know what happened. Hawks, however, are known to prey on cats and small dogs. 

ick

I am in Australia so they are different species but still...

Tomorrow is the big day: I will be the proud owner of a cat! (unless this is the cat my owner...)

I built the cat-tree, bought a lot of food, let in the living-room the empty boxes of my move to make hideaways... Everything is ready, but me: I feel the same kind of anxiety when I buy expensive furniture, or a car, i.e. something that implies consequences in my life, especially if I move in another city, or if I travel... something that implies responsabilities, and much more than simply check regularly tires or oil level of the car... something that is not "something", but "somebody". A new adventure! :-)

On 8/8/2019 at 3:44 PM, Yet another Arya ! said:

Tomorrow is the big day: I will be the proud owner of a cat! (unless this is the cat my owner...)

I built the cat-tree, bought a lot of food, let in the living-room the empty boxes of my move to make hideaways... Everything is ready, but me: I feel the same kind of anxiety when I buy expensive furniture, or a car, i.e. something that implies consequences in my life, especially if I move in another city, or if I travel... something that implies responsabilities, and much more than simply check regularly tires or oil level of the car... something that is not "something", but "somebody". A new adventure! :-)

Congrats!  How's it going so far?  And, you're right, it's not so much that you now own the cat.  It's more that you now serve the cat and you're fortunate that it allows you to live with it:P

On 7/21/2019 at 1:28 AM, Tears of Lys said:

I learned SO MUCH from the Kitten Lady video, I went on and watched a lot more of them, particularly why she supports "kill shelters."  It completely did a 180 on my head. 

I just received her book Tiny but Mighty.  After my last fostering experience I took a couple of months off and then vowed to rebuild.  I hope that having the reference book will enable me to be a better foster provider. 

Archived