Cats: They Own You

A True Kaniggit

On 10/25/2021 at 5:44 PM, 1066 Larry said:

I found two kittens living in the foundation of my house the other day.  I've been leaving food out for them, and then this morning I saw their mama running back to their hiding spot with a big fat mouse delivery.  All three are tuxedo cats.  

I've been gradually moving the food up towards my porch over the last 36 hours.  We're supposed to get heavy rain tonight and I'm hoping they'll take advantage of the warm, dry, porch.  If they want to move in permanently they are welcome.  House has been super empty with my dog gone and wouldn't mind having them around.

You could build an insulated cat house with some foam sheets and a plastic storage tub! This is a method I’ve used to protect ferals and also to trap them and try to un-feral them

I have a question for the resident cat experts.

My cat (Mina) and my cleaning lady (María José), don't get along. Mina is normally wary of strangers, but gets used to them after a time. I've had strangers come to feed her when I'm away and she's been tolerant of them. She hates María José, though. She growls and hisses at her and makes a big nuisance of herself. María José is quite apprehensive of cats, and when Mina gets really aggressive she's afraid she'll attack her (she wouldn't, but I'm sympathetic) and doesn't want to be near her. Today Mina took advantage of that and kept María José away from the bedroom, which meant she couldn't go in there to clean.

On the rare occasions when I've been at home when María José came around to clean Mina behaves better, and I have tried to show her that María José is a friend, but I'm mostly at work when she's around. María José has tried acting friendly or bribing Mina with treats, but thus far to no avail.

I could lock Mina in a room before going off to work, but I know she'd strongly resent that.

Can someone suggest a course of action that will keep all parties involved happy?

Kimchi went to the vet for the fourth time in four weeks last night about his corneal ulcer and his overgrooming. The vet greeted him with 'YEAHHH, IT'S MY FAVOURITE CAT!" (he's a huge flirt and climbs up to smooch anyone he can). The vet says his ulcer is resolving nicely and he just needs another few days of the eye drops (two types). So that's a HUGE relief as it's a two person job and we both have to get up early to do the first dose. And none of this vert stuff is covered by our insurance. :crying: But hopefully we have turned a corner (and no more cat pee anyway, thankfully).

On 11/3/2021 at 11:27 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Your ally:

I think there must be some kind of scientific principle that insanity increases in proportion to the number of cats that own you. Being owned by 17 cats is surely getting close to needing to be institutionalised.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think there must be some kind of scientific principle that insanity increases in proportion to the number of cats that own you. Being owned by 17 cats is surely getting close to needing to be institutionalised.

I'm not anti-cat, but I do not appreciate their sneak attack ways of doing business. To have to be on the watch for 17 of those little fuckers? I'm sure that would break me. 

Benedict Cumberbatch, amazon prime original scripted bio film of Louis Wain, turn of the (19th-20th) C artist of cats. Narrated by Olivia Coleman.

http://museums.eu/article/details/107058/daily-art-story-louis-wain-the-man-who-drew-cats

Review of film here:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-electrical-life-of-louis-wain-2021

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. ES and I just got our first indoor kitten.  She's a calico named Bebe, approximately 10-12 weeks old, and is the most adorable, lovable creature I've ever seen.  We have two dogs inside, one small and very old, and one large and 4-5 years old.  He's a rescue and I'm not sure how old he is.  We're keeping her in our guest bathroom when we're not home so that she's not unsupervised with the big dog.  She's doing great, very well adjusted, seems happy.

I'm taking her to the vet. Friday for all of her shots, and to get some advice, and I've been peppering some of you with questions as I'm a total novice when it comes to indoor cats.  I'd like some websites/references/advice on indoor kittens, if possible.  Please share if you have tips, etc.  

I'm so happy I got her; and I did NOT want her to start with, but I am so grateful that I have her now.  She wakes up at 4am and I don't even care, I'm so happy to see her.  

I am also sort of flabbergasted at how much this tiny kitten poops.  It's a lot.  And she's quite the little stink bomb.  We're experimenting with cat litter right now...and where the litter box is going to live.  Again, any advice is welcomed.

Not sure when we'll be letting her loose to roam unsupervised...this morning she climbed my back while I was applying makeup.  At 6am.  I had been pretty sleepy until that happened.

@Elder SisterSo stoked for you and your new kitten!   Her behavior seems consistent with cats I've lived with. She'll figure out the litter box.

I've been trying to convince a few neighborhood ferals to move in, but I'm a little worried what they'll do go the wrens wondering over on my porch.  

Has anyone seen the Instagram sensation and most beautiful cat alive, Midas?  She has an extra set of earlets?  I'm a little disturbed at how much I love this cat I've never met, I would give her a kidney or two if she needed.

Midas:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/midas-four-eared-cat_n_61995658e4b025be1adcd8d2/amp

if you're on IG she is a must follow

2 minutes ago, Elder Sister said:

I am also sort of flabbergasted at how much this tiny kitten poops.  It's a lot.  And she's quite the little stink bomb.  We're experimenting with cat litter right now...and where the litter box is going to live.  Again, any advice is welcomed.

Not sure when we'll be letting her loose to roam unsupervised...this morning she climbed my back while I was applying makeup.  At 6am.  I had been pretty sleepy until that happened.

I wonder if her stools are being effected by something she's eating?  I mean, cat poop's never going to smell fantastic but she shouldn't be "a little stink bomb":)

Harmless.

The parents of an ex once got woken up by their new kitten/cat (not sure where to draw the line between young cat and kitten), who decided chasing after his own tail on their bed was the way to go.

A highschool mate had a cat, who reliably woke him up (esp. on the WE) by biting his toe to remind him it's time to open up a can of food.

3 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I wonder if her stools are being effected by something she's eating?  I mean, cat poop's never going to smell fantastic but she shouldn't be "a little stink bomb":)

Maybe?  She's eating kitten chow right now.  I figure she's got a parasite or three...she was outside and living a rough life before she took over at our place.    I think she'll get a good worming at the vet on Friday and that will be even more fun.  :ack:

I had read that a parasite will make their poop more stinky than usual...but I'm going to ask the vet what food she should be eating.  In any case, thank you Prince of the North - I feel like a first-time parent.  My husband and I are both going to the vet on Friday and are so hypervigilant about her care...we're sort of ridiculous, and judging from her antics, she seems kind of indestructible!

@1066 Larry, thank you for the well wishes and the IG tip - I follow tons of cats, pigs, shoebill birds, and koi on IG.  Also tons of English cottages and crochet/knitting stuff.  I can't handle anything any deeper/darker these days.  

Archived