Cats: They Own You

A True Kaniggit

• 3 weeks later...

I had to let one of my cats go live with my sister.

After years of coexistence the larger one decided to start treating Minnie like trash a couple months ago. Nothing i tried would change the behavior. (I guess Lulu felt like she needed more territory, but there was no more available?) Minnie couldn’t even use the litter boxes without Lulu attacking her. 

I miss Minnie, but the little sister says she seems very happy. I think what I did was for the best. 

On 12/19/2021 at 2:07 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

I had to let one of my cats go live with my sister.

After years of coexistence the larger one decided to start treating Minnie like trash a couple months ago. Nothing i tried would change the behavior. (I guess Lulu felt like she needed more territory, but there was no more available?) Minnie couldn’t even use the litter boxes without Lulu attacking her. 

I miss Minnie, but the little sister says she seems very happy. I think what I did was for the best. 

Any time you have a sudden change in behavior, it’s a good idea to get a vet checkup. Cats are masters of hiding ailments and it’s a good idea to rule out a physical issue making her more defensive to be sure you’re not missing the opportunity to treat something that is time sensitive

On 12/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, Fury Resurrected said:

Any time you have a sudden change in behavior, it’s a good idea to get a vet checkup. Cats are masters of hiding ailments and it’s a good idea to rule out a physical issue making her more defensive to be sure you’re not missing the opportunity to treat something that is time sensitive

I'll give a second opinion in support.   In two cases where I had a pair of cats, both who had been 'siblings' for a decade or so, the healthy cat suddenly started hissing at the other one at completely inexplicable times and became extremely hostile.  In both cases, the receiving cat sadly had a terminal disease and didn't last beyond the week.   It was heartbreaking to see the behavior, but seems to be something fairly hardcoded into cat instincts. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bebe the kitten is doing great and has become my most favorite, loved being ever. How did I have happiness before this critter?  She’s also kind of terrible at times but her cuteness/snuggliness makes this easy to forget. Also, she loves me most. And she makes the most adorable chirping sounds. These are usually a harbinger of doom because she does this right before she rips/tears/knocks something over. 
She gets the last round of shots on Friday. 

16 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

Bebe the kitten is doing great and has become my most favorite, loved being ever. How did I have happiness before this critter?  She’s also kind of terrible at times but her cuteness/snuggliness makes this easy to forget. Also, she loves me most. And she makes the most adorable chirping sounds. These are usually a harbinger of doom because she does this right before she rips/tears/knocks something over. 

The chirping sounds are always the best!!!

18 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

So does kitty's poo no longer stink that bad. I am kinda curious what happened to that bit.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So does kitty's poo no longer stink that bad. I am kinda curious what happened to that bit.

Thank goodness, yes!  I think it was either a parasite or what she had been eating in the wild.  She's doing awesomely well.

Thanks so much for asking - I'm kind of a clean freak and that particular aspect of cat ownership was driving me up the wall.

• 1 month later...

On February 16 I explained that I'd just been to a veterinary hospital where I was told my 5 year old cat had a congenital heart condition and only a year to live. 

This morning I found that my cat died in his sleep. Barely a month later. Doctors insist nothing could have been done. They said it was the worst heart they'd ever seen in a 5 year old - multiple congenital defects, any one of which was eventually fatal. They were surprised this didn't kill him as a kitten, and astonished he went 5 years with no symptoms. So this wasn't normal, but nothing at all could have helped. I take mild, passing solace in the fact that while his life was cut short, it was so sudden that he never deteriorated or truly suffered. He died peacefully in his sleep in his own home. 

I'm reminded how how unfair the death of Elio & Linda's dog Breeze was, a sudden brain aneurysm at Christmas break 2020. 

My cat's unexpected illness and death is a heavy blow and I will need some time to process this.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

@The Dragon Demands

We're very sorry for your loss!.  You took good care of Spitfyre, and his passing gently in his sleep, in the home he knew and where he was loved, must be some comfort. It's never easy losing a pet.

Breeze's sudden death, a sudden death at Christmas, was too cruel. I've thought of it often. Even before our recent medical drama in 2022. I miss him barking over videos, it provided comic relief.

Finished my cat's burial and funeral in our garden. The universe will not much mark the life of a cat, particularly one that lasted only five years, but he did a LOT with his family in that time. Trapped at home as we were with COVID the past two years....spent more time with him than years while I was living in another state at undergrad and didn't see the old family cat for months at a time. His life was short but very full.

I'm barely holding it together now.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:51 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

Finished my cat's burial and funeral in our garden. The universe will not much mark the life of a cat, particularly one that lasted only five years, but he was a good brother and was the first cat my sister's children got to play with before they were old enough to go to school. From HIS perspective, as an indoor cat, our house/property WAS his "universe". 

By that standard, we just gave him a hero's burial, alongside all the other great cats who came before.

I'm barely holding it together now.

I’m so sorry for you loss.  Cats are so small but they provide so much comfort and joy to so many of us.  We are lucky that they exist at all.  I know where you are.  Remember the love.

Archived