Cats: They Own You

A True Kaniggit

3 hours ago, litechick said:

Mom is In Heat.  I wish I could soothe her without giving her some P.  She is getting surgery next week to alleviate her suffering but for the next 5 days she is all mine.

All I can think is "please God, let me not have ever been so nakedly needy and horny as she is right now."

Its keeping them locked up that makes it unbearable. I have often thought the same that I couldn't bear to be so totally possessed by a set of hormones.

4 hours ago, Castellan said:

Its keeping them locked up that makes it unbearable. I have often thought the same that I couldn't bear to be so totally possessed by a set of hormones.

Well, “keeping her locked up” is what’s keeping the cycle of unwanted kittens from starting with her again- which leads to countless unnecessary deaths of cats on the streets and in shelters. She and her kittens are already in the system, lite is doing exactly the right thing.

@litechick I’m so glad you’re fostering! Kittens at that age are so fun and so terrible

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Well, “keeping her locked up” is what’s keeping the cycle of unwanted kittens from starting with her again- which leads to countless unnecessary deaths of cats on the streets and in shelters. She and her kittens are already in the system, lite is doing exactly the right thing.

@litechick I’m so glad you’re fostering! Kittens at that age are so fun and so terrible

Our baby Katara had a couple of cycles before we were able to get her in for her appointment.  (She was precociously early).  She wandered around the house, and it sounded exactly like she was saying “hello Romeo”.  We felt for her, but it was also a little funny.  She still says “hello” when she is feeling “lost”.

12 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I realise that! Not a criticism at all.

Many years ago my housemates and I embarked on a foolish program whereby we gave up locking up our cat who had gone into heat up, thinking supervised outings might calm her down (really this meant we couldn't stand the way she was climbing walls and rubbing against the window) anyway this attempt at 'supervision' meant I observed the whole process from rolling about to spread her pheromones where the driveway met the street to pregnancy. And the hormonal behaviour seems a lot less grotesque and more charming than when locked up. Luckily all kittens found a home, possibly because she was very early in the season, and she got desexed after that.

Thank you Kay.

This is it.  The kittens are 7.5 weeks old.  Tomorrow they have a vet check appointment. I expect that the shelter will keep them, vaccinate them, fix them and put them up for adoption.

I am comforted to think that mom is so fucking awesome, she won't last 10 minutes on the adoption floor before someone scoops her up.  The kittens are kittens--too adorable to worry.

But tonight I feel bad because I know mom and kittens will be separated tomorrow but they don't know.  I always feel guilty about the unintended blindside.

Random side note:  Mom was pregnant when I brought her home with me.  The shelter didn't know how many kittens she was carrying.  It was her first (and only) litter and she had 2 kittens. 

In several interactions with the shelter they have asked, "what about the other kittens? ...there are only 2.  I was met with some skepticism which makes me think they are concerned that I may be embezzling kittens---like she actually had 4 and I am only reporting 2.

I am super entertained at the idea of a kitten embezzlement scheme but from the shelter's point of view, I guess they have to be on top of that.

5 hours ago, litechick said:

Thank you Kay.

This is it.  The kittens are 7.5 weeks old.  Tomorrow they have a vet check appointment. I expect that the shelter will keep them, vaccinate them, fix them and put them up for adoption.

I am comforted to think that mom is so fucking awesome, she won't last 10 minutes on the adoption floor before someone scoops her up.  The kittens are kittens--too adorable to worry.

But tonight I feel bad because I know mom and kittens will be separated tomorrow but they don't know.  I always feel guilty about the unintended blindside.

Random side note:  Mom was pregnant when I brought her home with me.  The shelter didn't know how many kittens she was carrying.  It was her first (and only) litter and she had 2 kittens. 

In several interactions with the shelter they have asked, "what about the other kittens? ...there are only 2.  I was met with some skepticism which makes me think they are concerned that I may be embezzling kittens---like she actually had 4 and I am only reporting 2.

I am super entertained at the idea of a kitten embezzlement scheme but from the shelter's point of view, I guess they have to be on top of that.

I giggled imagining an international kitten embezzlement scheme.  I mean, I’d sort of probably be there for that.*

*I know why they are concerned and the dark side of what can happen to cats out there.  Allow me my giggle. 

I have never seen The Godfather in its entirety but once I did watch the opening scene.

opening scene

I have since been amazed that nobody ever told me how freakin' charming that cat was and why all references to the Godfather leave that bit out.

Now I imagine a world of bullies and hustlers who know exactly how charming that cat is and swirl their bourbon and smoke their cigars while plotting to steal kittens from shelters.

FB, yes 2 kittens is a small litter but because the mom was less than a year old and clearly it was her first litter, it's not unreasonable.  I totally get why the shelter was skeptical but what can I say?  She had 2 kittens.

Friend sent photo of Tom, "I'm a Real Man Now," pounding at the screen door with front paw, rat in mouth, outraged that he's not being let in and having his catch admired and he adored.  It's all captured in that photo.

This winter Tom caught his first mouse and went on a rampage up and down the floors of the brownstone, vocalizing like mad in his pride.

• 2 weeks later...

Chats, I feel your pain.  When I first moved in here and got my brand new purple carpet, I was so happy.  Then a particular mom cat peed on the rug and all her kittens followed her example.  I clean it well.  I have lots of Nature's Miracle. Still, it's the perfection/toilet dichotomy that is the problem.

Lately I have been mixing vinegar and water in a spray bottle.  Cats always sniff before peeing and the theory is that if they get a snoot full of vinegar, they will look elsewhere for a place to pee.

It's not scientific but nobody has peed on my rug since I started spritzing. 

Trying to adopt a cat but I missed my appointment email.  That's a link they send so you can make an appointment for a phone interview.  The link is good for three hours before they move on to the next person in line for that pet.  Ellie...the cat...is already back up on the adoption page.  I resubmitted my request so I hope I am first in line again.  I can't fathom people not picking her but my fingers are crossed. 

5 hours ago, litechick said:

Good luck!  Please post pictures.

TY I will try to post some of her once I figure out how.

So I was first in line again and made my consultation appointment.  I will pick her up on Wednesday morning.  I bought a bunch of stuff for her and spent several hours assembling a huge cat tower.  I had to take it apart twice when I realized I made an error.  It's up now and is pretty tall.  I worry she will jump at the ceiling fan.  Still not completely sure where to put the litterbox. 

Archived