Cats: They Own You

A True Kaniggit

All there is a lovely story in the Miami Herald that Binx, a resident of Champlain Towers South, has been found alive and reunited with his (remaining) humans (who were some of the people pulled from the rubble in the immediate aftermath). Go Binx!

On 6/15/2021 at 3:01 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

If that’s the toy she loves, then play with it every day. My cats watch birds every day and never get bored of it.

Oooh, just looked these up. Looks like great fun. I wonder if my puppy might like one. 

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I took my little buddy to the cat cardiologist, today. He’s got hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which means he’s going to be taking beta blockers. Fortunately, these come in a fish flavored treat formulation.

His 30 day regular vet visit the day before revealed normal bloodwork, so he can stay on the Gabapentin for his arthritis, and he’s doing well on his Prozac, too.

No such thing as a free cat, lol.

Nando has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy as well! It is so far not so serious he needs medication, thankfully

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 3:53 AM, Inkdaub said:

Spice is a great name.  I hope his testing goes well.  Here's a pic of Ellie staring at alka-seltzer for luck.

A little late. But how is your skeleton still alive?

You’re kitty hasn’t tried to murder them yet buy pushing them off the bookcase? 

On 8/8/2021 at 10:37 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

A little late. But how is your skeleton still alive?

You’re kitty hasn’t tried to murder them yet buy pushing them off the bookcase? 

I don't really know.  She goes up there but doesn't knock him over.  They have reached an accord based on his being a musician or some strange spirit world connection.  She is seemingly obsessed with the bathtub/shower, however. 

Here she is with her buddy.

• 1 month later...

Another cat came to the window and is sitting now on the wall between the window and the house next door.  Ellie is furious.  She is hissing and yowling really low and possessed-like and her fur is standing on end.  The cat outside is just sitting on the wall watching.

10 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Ah, the territorial instinct.

Wait until Ellie starts singing the song of her people at 3 am to the other feline. The “get off my lawn” song. I recommend nipping this in the bud by scaring the other cat away and putting hot peppers (dried) on your lawn. Also, inside, closing the blinds when you go to bed and a Feliway plug-in by that window.

I thought it was the neighbor's cat but now I think it's just some cat out and about that found our window.  Yes I will try to scare him or her off if I can.  The cat will come to the wall and meow until Ellie comes to hiss at him/her.  I am not sure if the cat wants to be friends or what.  There is some Feliway there now.  No cat since I got home from work.  We'll see if the cat finally went home or found some other window to peep.

Ellie has already climbed through the blinds several times so I don't put them down at all anymore.  She also pulled the screen down with her on it.

From time to time, I watch cat videos.  Largely, these are people who walk around with cat food and a cell phone to record their interactions with Community Cats.

I understand (from Kitten Lady) that we should suppress community cat populations by TNR--Trap, Neuter, Release.

However, I can't help but wish there were more community cats in my neighborhood.  The idea of going about my daily life, surprised by cats and kittens, is tantalizing to me.  Going about your business?  Hard day at work?  Surprise!  Here's a kitten!  Community cats make the world more amazing and wonderful.

Nevertheless, if you love cats and want them to be healthy and safe, TNR is the way to go. 

Damn you Minnesotans and your responsible love of felines!  Why can't I have this?  That is only available in places with Out of Control cat populations.  What can I do but watch my email and hope for one more foster litter before winter?

On 9/18/2021 at 1:48 AM, litechick said:

From time to time, I watch cat videos.  Largely, these are people who walk around with cat food and a cell phone to record their interactions with Community Cats.

I understand (from Kitten Lady) that we should suppress community cat populations by TNR--Trap, Neuter, Release.

However, I can't help but wish there were more community cats in my neighborhood.  The idea of going about my daily life, surprised by cats and kittens, is tantalizing to me.  Going about your business?  Hard day at work?  Surprise!  Here's a kitten!  Community cats make the world more amazing and wonderful.

Nevertheless, if you love cats and want them to be healthy and safe, TNR is the way to go. 

Damn you Minnesotans and your responsible love of felines!  Why can't I have this?  That is only available in places with Out of Control cat populations.  What can I do but watch my email and hope for one more foster litter before winter?

If you go work on a farm you’ll be surprised by kittens all the time! I try to home or TNR anything that pops up around Fury Sr’s place but somehow there’s always still kittens popping up

Yeah, I grew up in a rural area with a cat who was not spayed.  Farms willing to take in barn kitties was one of our main sources of homing the kittens we produced.  I was naive enough that I didn't grasp that those kittens did not live long, healthy lives.

My wish was granted.  I picked up 3 foster kittens on Tuesday.  I suspect they may be barn kitties--they were sick and scrawny and timid.

Now two of them are thriving even though one has an eye infection which is not clearing up as fast as I would like.

The third is the proverbial runt of the litter.  He is scrawnier than the others and more timid.  He is gaining weight but I see the other two harassing him and dominating the food dish and the toys.

In any other context the two would be fantastic kittens but contrasted with the gentle kitten of the sad eyes, they seem like meatheads.  I'm trying to make the right choices in handling them and nurturing them but it's hard to tell whether my instincts are true or whether I am just projecting my own feelings on the sad kitten.

I'm trying to figure out whether the sad kitten needs the others so that he is not alone or whether I should create a space where he can feel protected and special, away from the meatheads.

Perfect kitten rearing isn't really a big deal.  Do the best you can, get them healthy and adoptable and move on to the next group.  Nevertheless, I want to be some perfect kitten guardian and I tie myself in knots trying to achieve it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have brought home a persian kitten that was rescued from a hoarding situation in Seattle and then brought to Bismarck. I picked him up there (with another for my coworker) and hauled back to Minneapolis. He is tiny and still in a little rough shape, but I think he’s gonna be fine. I have named him Richter and cannot wait for him to finish quarantining in the spare room and meet his big brothers!

21 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Might as well just give up while there’s still a decent selection of 2021 models

Or we could just wait for the 2022s.....(actually since we are having some work done on some bathrooms right now (yay exploding toilet had to be fixed!) 2022 is a better bet.  Adding another cat as a stressor right now would not be very kind).

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Or we could just wait for the 2022s.....(actually since we are having some work done on some bathrooms right now (yay exploding toilet had to be fixed!) 2022 is a better bet.  Adding another cat as a stressor right now would not be very kind).

If I see any handsome local boys for you on the Persian Rescue Network group I’m going to be tempting you with them

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

If I see any handsome local boys for you on the Persian Rescue Network group I’m going to be tempting you with them

I mean this quite sincerely - do you think we are a good placement bet for a Persian?  I know they are a ton of work and before we took on that kind of commitment I would want to do a lot of research (and make sure that the whole family was on board with it).  

Archived