Cats: They Own You

A True Kaniggit

4 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I mean this quite sincerely - do you think we are a good placement bet for a Persian?  I know they are a ton of work and before we took on that kind of commitment I would want to do a lot of research (and make sure that the whole family was on board with it).  

Oh yeah, I know you are an excellent cat mom and a huge portion of it is just paying attention to your pet to know what they need and when something is up. The maintenance for a Persian other than just being a good pet parent who is able to keep up with vet care isn’t rocket science, it’s brushing and/or haircuts and face wiping. Most people don’t take any of their pets to the vet enough and with a Persian that’s just not gonna work out. But I know you would keep up on routine visits and other than dealing with goopy eyes and long hair, that’s the main thing. Your vet can tell you if your particular baby has stenotic nares (too small nostrils) and the surgery and downtime for that isn’t super expensive or hard to recover from

3 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Imagine the fur sticking to your clothes. For that reason, I will not get another long haired cat, unless it’s life or death.( for the cat). White fur…black pants. No lint brush is enough.

Eh, I have a short haired tabby that sheds plenty.  Our medium haired floof sheds less, actually.  Fur everywhere is just a condition of being in our house.

1 hour ago, HoodedCrow said:

Imagine the fur sticking to your clothes. For that reason, I will not get another long haired cat, unless it’s life or death.( for the cat). White fur…black pants. No lint brush is enough.

Persians mostly don’t shed, the texture of their hair keeps it in their coat after it falls out so that’s why you need to brush them so much. They’re pretty much made of cotton candy

Tiki Cat is food I am tempted to put in my lunchbox and take it to work with me for my own meal...and Ellarianatte seems to be getting bored with it.  Or she doesn't seem that interested in it anymore.  She still eats it.  I put it with her kibble which is Instinct Raw Boost, in which she only likes the raw bits unless she is very hungry.  So I ordered a bag of just the the raw bits which hope she likes. 

On 10/17/2021 at 2:57 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

One never owns a cat. The cat owns you :rofl:

Ha. But I own two cats. They are so pitted against each other, I remain Alpha. 

Edit: Except when I sit somewhere I’m not allowed to.

Or when I want to stand up but they’re asleep on my lap.

And pretty much every other instance now that I think about it. 

A couple of years ago I bought this Pop Up Tent thinking it might be the perfect nesting box for nursing moms.  Great size, gives that enclosed, secret feeling of security, cleans easily and folds for storage, bam!

It hasn't been as successful as I hoped.  It's so lightweight that even a tiny kitten can just push it away from the wall and nap behind it.

I would even go so far as to say that the instructions for folding should just say "Have a cat jump on it and it will fold cleanly and immediately."

Back to the drawing board.

So, due to an unfortunately exploding toilet, we are having a bathroom redone.  One of the contractors’ guys let clover out yesterday.  She got into the service stairs.  My husband found her and carried her up.  Phew.

Then she jumped onto our new couch and peed and peed and peed.  So, now I’m in the throes of trying to neutralize cat urine.  Fortunately frame seems ok and got it before it really got through the cushion covers into the pillows.  BUT, not sure if the covers will survive.  FML.

15 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Then she jumped onto our new couch and peed and peed and peed.  So, now I’m in the throes of trying to neutralize cat urine.  Fortunately frame seems ok and got it before it really got through the cushion covers into the pillows.  BUT, not sure if the covers will survive.  FML.

You’re not alone. We’ve all been there.

:grouphug:

Edit: Maybe not that exact scenario, but same end result. Trying to get the smell of cat urine out of your living room so you won’t be too embarrassed to have guests over again. 

My own cat's named Billie. She's a fairly large cat, with a belly measuring eight inches from the top of her back to the bottom of her belly (don't ask why I measured the cat's fat) and she seems to have a clock for 4:30 AM. She'll wake us up by: licking our noses, batting at our faces, purring and staring right down at us, and excessive meowing. One time, she knew I was awake and kept doing all the above so I just pulled the blanket over my head....she went down and started batting at my toes. Got up, fed the cat, went back to sleep. 

On 10/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Then she jumped onto our new couch and peed and peed and peed. 

Is the new couch velvety at all?  A couple of years ago I bought a new bedspread--the most expensive blanket I have ever purchased--and a group of foster kittens pooped their living guts out upon it (while I was sleeping under it.)  It could not be saved.  I never figured out whether they pooped because it was velvety, or because they wanted to poop on me specifically.

You are probably already familiar with Nature's Miracle.  I just spray and pray.

14 hours ago, litechick said:

You are probably already familiar with Nature's Miracle.  I just spray and pray.

Oh, I need this! We adopted two rescue cats almost two months ago. They have settled in very well. They were trained to use litter trays at the rescue centre. It took a bit of adaptation to get them to use their litter trays here with the lids on them (rather than just the open tray). All seemed to be going fine for a few weeks. Then this week they (one of them) has taken to peeing on the carpet right next to the box. We make sure we scoop two or three times a day. We rake the litter and where necessary sprinkle some fresh litter on top. Every couple of weeks I replace the litter and wash the trays and refill with 100% new fresh litter.

One of them (Kimchi) has a corneal ulcer, which we have to treat with drops three times a day. He's at the vets every week. It's all stressful and expensive. :(

On 10/23/2021 at 6:31 AM, Isis said:

Oh, I need this! We adopted two rescue cats almost two months ago. They have settled in very well. They were trained to use litter trays at the rescue centre. It took a bit of adaptation to get them to use their litter trays here with the lids on them (rather than just the open tray). All seemed to be going fine for a few weeks. Then this week they (one of them) has taken to peeing on the carpet right next to the box. We make sure we scoop two or three times a day. We rake the litter and where necessary sprinkle some fresh litter on top. Every couple of weeks I replace the litter and wash the trays and refill with 100% new fresh litter.

One of them (Kimchi) has a corneal ulcer, which we have to treat with drops three times a day. He's at the vets every week. It's all stressful and expensive. :(

Maybe the box is too clean? I had a cat once who would leave a complaint poop outside the box if you didn’t leave a sample in there to let him know it was his. 

I found two kittens living in the foundation of my house the other day.  I've been leaving food out for them, and then this morning I saw their mama running back to their hiding spot with a big fat mouse delivery.  All three are tuxedo cats.  

I've been gradually moving the food up towards my porch over the last 36 hours.  We're supposed to get heavy rain tonight and I'm hoping they'll take advantage of the warm, dry, porch.  If they want to move in permanently they are welcome.  House has been super empty with my dog gone and wouldn't mind having them around.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:31 PM, litechick said:

Is the new couch velvety at all?  A couple of years ago I bought a new bedspread--the most expensive blanket I have ever purchased--and a group of foster kittens pooped their living guts out upon it (while I was sleeping under it.)  It could not be saved.  I never figured out whether they pooped because it was velvety, or because they wanted to poop on me specifically.

Velvety, but Rocco and Roxie did the trick where Nature’s Miracle did not.  I now swear by this enzyme cleaner.

Archived