Cats: They Own You

A True Kaniggit

4 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

TY I will try to post some of her once I figure out how.

So I was first in line again and made my consultation appointment.  I will pick her up on Wednesday morning.  I bought a bunch of stuff for her and spent several hours assembling a huge cat tower.  I had to take it apart twice when I realized I made an error.  It's up now and is pretty tall.  I worry she will jump at the ceiling fan.  Still not completely sure where to put the litterbox. 

The cat might not be interested in the tower at first, it will need to decompress from the shelter and get comfortable in the new surroundings.  

Can you fit the liter box in the bathroom?  If not, then a spare bedroom I guess.  

50 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The cat might not be interested in the tower at first, it will need to decompress from the shelter and get comfortable in the new surroundings.  

Can you fit the liter box in the bathroom?  If not, then a spare bedroom I guess.  

True.  But I was literally placing our cat tree and our new shelter cat was already in the top of it:D  For what it's worth, her litter box is in our downstairs bathroom and that arrangement works quite well. 

I have brought her home.  Her info said she has anxiety but I don't see it at all.  She was friendly and curious right away.  She hasn't drank water or used her litterbox...which I did put in the bathroom... yet.  She has climbed both her towers.  She found the corners of the couch almost immediately.

Her name is Justice of Toren One Esk Nineteen...One for short.

Her nick is Ellie which was given her by the shelter in Klamath that rescued her from an elementary school playground where she had been 'living'.

5 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I have brought her home.  Her info said she has anxiety but I don't see it at all.  She was friendly and curious right away.  She hasn't drank water or used her litterbox...which I did put in the bathroom... yet.  She has climbed both her towers.  She found the corners of the couch almost immediately.

Her name is Justice of Toren One Esk Nineteen...One for short.

Her nick is Ellie which was given her by the shelter in Klamath that rescued her from an elementary school playground where she had been 'living'.

Aw.  My first personal cat was found on the playground in 5th grade.  I found him at recess, and then stuck him in a little corner, told him if he stayed there until school was over, I would bring him home.  He was and I did. 

Okay so her name remains Ellie.  Calling her One just didn't work.  I chose that name before I brought her home and it just doesn't suit.  I think I have heard her called Ellie too many times and it now is just her name.  I say it's short for Ellarianatte...which is a tree in a book...so I can feel like I'm part of the process. 

Ellie is now drinking her water and using the litter box.  She has not broken anything.  She has turned off my alarm twice.  We have a vet appointment for mid June.  She is on the desk right now.

So I'm seeking a little advice. My daughter got a new kitten, which I'm cat-sitting for the weekend. Now, she's a lovely kitty and I get that kittens are always full of beans, which is why I'm cat-sitting her: she's a lot for my daughter to cope with right now. In particular, she's very hard to dissuade from pouncing and biting. Anybody got any suggestions for good strategies? At present we're combining ignoring her with giving her time-outs for egregious misbehaviour that can't be ignored.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

So I'm seeking a little advice. My daughter got a new kitten, which I'm cat-sitting for the weekend. Now, she's a lovely kitty and I get that kittens are always full of beans, which is why I'm cat-sitting her: she's a lot for my daughter to cope with right now. In particular, she's very hard to dissuade from pouncing and biting. Anybody got any suggestions for good strategies? At present we're combining ignoring her with giving her time-outs for egregious misbehaviour that can't be ignored.

Sounds like very normal kitten behavior to me.  I would find toys for her to play with and chew on (she may be getting some teeth).  I recommend Cat Dancer (it’s a wire with cardboard on the end - simple but magic).  Positive reinforcement always has worked best for us, and some of it will be clearly delineating play time from snuggle time.  If she’s teething be careful of cords - cats can chew through them.

9 minutes ago, mormont said:

From what I know this is the go-to response for unruly kittens that want attention. You’re doing the right thing. 

You walk away when they nip at you. Until they learn biting your feet will not make you pet them. 

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

cats can chew through them.

I’ve lost over $100 in headsets and phone chargers to back up this fact.

(Not to my two girls. It was never an issue with them. It was to my brother’s asshole cat when I babysat him)

Let’s see, distract, wear her out with play as if you had a toddler( laser pointer,  or cat toys though), talk to her gently. If she’s really unacceptable, make a hissing sound but don’t overuse that, it’s shocking and angry to them. They don’t have much stamina.  

4 hours ago, mormont said:

There is nothing you can do except provide her with another kitten to bite instead. Kittens just be that way

9 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Sounds like very normal kitten behavior to me.

It is, but to a somewhat abnormal degree. I think that's mostly down to boredom: my daughter's place is small, kitty doesn't go outdoors yet and my daughter also has a hamster she's keeping the kitten away from so she spends most of her time in one room (well, the hall and bathroom too but they're tiny). When she comes here she has more space, so I'm intending to cat-sit regularly.

9 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I would find toys for her to play with and chew on (she may be getting some teeth).  I recommend Cat Dancer (it’s a wire with cardboard on the end - simple but magic).  Positive reinforcement always has worked best for us, and some of it will be clearly delineating play time from snuggle time.  If she’s teething be careful of cords - cats can chew through them.

We've invested in various toys including interactive ones and we're rotating them so she doesn't get bored.

I inadvertently trained my cat to think attacking my hand was a fun game because it was funny when he was a kitten. It was less entertaining when he was ten times the size and had significantly sharper teeth.

So, yeah, don’t do that. Other than that I have no constructive advice.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I inadvertently trained my cat to think attacking my hand was a fun game because it was funny when he was a kitten. It was less entertaining when he was ten times the size and had significantly sharper teeth.

So, yeah, don’t do that. Other than that I have no constructive advice.

When I was a callow youth, I played a game with my kitten where I stuck my foot out from under the duvet and she'd try to pounce on it before I pulled it back. I was then awoken every morning by sharp teeth in my big toe. Been there, done that.

The game is properly called Blanket Monster, wherein you have a cat on the bed with you and you move a finger or toe underneath the blanket for the cat to pounce upon.

The blanket should be thick enough to protect you from the repercussions of such pouncing.

Re: boredom.  I recently discovered that there is a wide range of programming available on Amazon Prime Video tailored to feline interests.  I only got one episode in to Squirrel Watch.

Re: naming.  I tend to be very literal with names.  In each litter there will be one known as The Toenibbler.  Medium and long hair kittens will be called Spongebob Fluffy Pants.  Sometimes I have a Dances with Bottle Caps.  The one who vocalizes for no apparent reason will be called Drama Kitten.

Once I hosted a mom + kittens where the mom had been named Turkey.  I had no choice but to name the kittens Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Cranberry, Green Bean, and Nutmeg.

Another mom was called Holstein and her kitten Cheese Curd.  These are horrible cat names but at one point I actually called the mom Holstein and she definitely perked up at the name. 

A great benefit to fostering is that I can use many ridiculous endearments without fear of repercussion.  Sweetie Pie, Honey Baby, Pussycat, Kitten Face--all are permitted because it ain't nobody's business if I do.

I believe I read Ellie's intake report incorrectly.  She was not living at the playground.  The people who were giving her up just claimed she was.  They gave her up because she was pregnant.  She had three kittens while in foster care so there may have been some more embezzlement going on.  The pic below is her pic on the OHS site.  Looks like she is getting an exam of some sort.

https://ohspets.shelterbuddy.com/photos/lostfound/132177.jpg

Here's a few shots of questionable quality taken by me at home.

https://i.imgur.com/TqQlId2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yXbhR2g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9wZzhLM.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/2nCSz6z.jpg

Archived