Cats: They Own You

A True Kaniggit

11 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I believe I read Ellie's intake report incorrectly.  She was not living at the playground.  The people who were giving her up just claimed she was.  They gave her up because she was pregnant.  She had three kittens while in foster care so there may have been some more embezzlement going on.  The pic below is her pic on the OHS site.  Looks like she is getting an exam of some sort.

https://ohspets.shelterbuddy.com/photos/lostfound/132177.jpg

Here's a few shots of questionable quality taken by me at home.

https://i.imgur.com/TqQlId2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yXbhR2g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9wZzhLM.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/2nCSz6z.jpg

Beautiful!  ...and that last picture looks just like Toothless from HtTYD! :)

3 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

...and that last picture looks just like Toothless from HtTYD!

Haha I love that picture.  I show it to everyone.  

7 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm not a huge fan of collars on cats, especially if they don't go outside, but you want to make sure its a break-away type so if the cat gets it stuck on something it won't be harmed.

Yeah I took it off.  I dislike collars as well.  My dog didn't wear a collar for fourteen years so Ellie shouldn't have to either.  I might put one on for vet trips.  My biggest fear is that she gets out.  She is very interested in the door whenever I open it to walk out for whatever reason.   

Ellie has discovered the scratching areas of her climbing trees and has pretty much given up scratching the couch. 

She loves the Tiki Cat After Dark wet food.  I mix it in with her kibble.  The kibble has freeze dried raw bits that she also likes.  The kibble...as usual...goes last.  She pretty much ignores my food after an initial sniff, although she does seem to like whip cream as she swatted a pile of it into my face and then licked her paw.  She also tried to steal a french fry.

She bites when she is hyped up.  Play bites..they don't really hurt.  I am trying to teach her that biting my hands means no more petting.  She very gently licked and then bit my eyebrow when I was laying in bed.  It sort of reminded me of how my dog would sometimes nibble my earlobe.  

4 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I found out the litterbox issue was due to a UTI!! Which is...thank goodness. Physical problems are an easy fix.

Cat is on antibiotics and painkillers. He’s doing so much better, emotionally / not fighting with his brother, not randomly hissing and growling.

Also had the carpets steam-cleaned, and got new litter boxes and something called “cat attract” litter additive. They’ve both been using the boxes and really seem to enjoy the new boxes. My environmentally conscious kid got these very thick recycled cardboard litter boxes (rather than plastic) that we can change out monthly, so the cats always have a fresh box but in an environmentally sustainable way. 

There is also so much Feliway (both calming and multi-cat) that y’all really should buy stock in whoever makes Feliway, because clearly, we are responsible for a good bit of their sales :ack:

Cat gets re-tested for the UTI in two weeks after the antibiotics wear off. His brother is also going on because his blood calcium is just a bit off.

Cat cardiology visit still to be scheduled. 

If you need advice about hypercalcemia (if that’s what it is and it’s idiopathic and not a symptom of something else) I have tons of advice in this area as we are currently treating Fernando for it 

I'm visiting my bff (former roomie and gf) at the end of the month and very excited to see Tony (her cat) who I lived with for 6 years or so.  Doesn't feel right reading a book without him on my lap, house isn't the same without a cat.  

He's a country gentleman but also a stone-cold killer -- when he hunts mice he eats the bodies but leaves the heads in his food dish for all to see.

I put the little sidewall addition on the litter box and Ellie has accepted it.  Much less mess in the bathroom when she buries her waste.  She is getting better at not biting/stopping when I tell her no.  She still bites a little but you can tell she is trying.  I have concrete floors and...while there are rugs...she finds spots to run and slide on.  I need to get more rugs for her feet but she can have fun sliding around in the interim.  She still loves whip cream.  She watched an entire episode of Meercat Manor without looking away.  She will stare at the kettle and is completely enthralled by alka-seltzer or anything fizzy like that.  So far so good.

I'm not sure Ellie would take to that.  She has adapted to my apartment without a single issue, though, so maybe she would.  It does look pretty big as you say.  Why the under 5lbs rule?  Maybe they are too small to get in and out?  Maybe a weight sensor down in the tray? 

I read a thing that said not to use the same toys every day.  Is there any toy that can compete with the wand/fishing pole type toys?  She will knock her toys around a bit but none of them hold her attention like the wand toy we have.  It always seems that's the toy she wants to play with. 

I like the fishing pole best, it never fails to engage.  Now I have 3 different poles and I do change it up even in the same play session.  Each pole has its own properties--length of pole, length of string, type of bait.

21 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I'm not sure Ellie would take to that.  She has adapted to my apartment without a single issue, though, so maybe she would.  It does look pretty big as you say.  Why the under 5lbs rule?  Maybe they are too small to get in and out?  Maybe a weight sensor down in the tray? 

I read a thing that said not to use the same toys every day.  Is there any toy that can compete with the wand/fishing pole type toys?  She will knock her toys around a bit but none of them hold her attention like the wand toy we have.  It always seems that's the toy she wants to play with. 

The 5lbs thing is indeed about a weight sensor which will stop the rotation of the globe for safety. I thought my cats would have a hard time adjusting to it, but they did not at all. I just put it where the only litter box was, unplugged for the first few days, with some used litter from the old box to let them know that’s the spot to use. Zero accidents and one of them was notorious for leaving complaints just outside the box if he was displeased about anything in the household.

21 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

If that’s the toy she loves, then play with it every day.

Yeah I pretty much answered my own question.  I guess if she gets bored with the wand she'll let me know.

21 hours ago, litechick said:

Now I have 3 different poles and I do change it up even in the same play session.  Each pole has its own properties--length of pole, length of string, type of bait.

I will do this for sure.  She loves that wand.  I get home from work and she has to be petted for a while then runs into the area where we play and starts looking around in the air as if I'm already swinging the thing around. 

7 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I thought my cats would have a hard time adjusting to it, but they did not at all. I just put it where the only litter box was, unplugged for the first few days, with some used litter from the old box to let them know that’s the spot to use.

This sounds a good plan if I ever try one.  Ellie is around seven pounds right now though I hope she has gained a little weight as she is pretty thin. 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Spice is currently in a Kitten Secure Housing Unit (K-SHU) per recommendation of the vet, while the gabapentin and Prozac take time to kick in.

Spice’s “thinking outside the box” was becoming a severe issue (carpet cleaners have been called again). He would sometimes eliminate in the box and then walk out of the box and poop again.

The vet said that this is because Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorder (which he has had, with symptoms off and on, since he was a kitten) causes them to feel like they have to go, all the time. So, they are always trying to push something out, and they are stressed, so, often pushing out stress poo (it’s kind of semi-liquid).

Having had UTIs, myself, as well as some possible interstitial cystitis (sometimes I will get what feels like a UTI but they can’t culture a bacteria) I feel for him. 

Hence, the K-SHU, which is my bathroom. It is a very large, tile-floor bathroom, which now also features a litterbox with nice, fresh litter, food, water, cat toys, and a cat tree for vertical space. There is also a window for bird-watching, and a closet (yes, my closet) for other vertical space and hiding. I covered the closet carpet with a shower curtain. There is also a new Feliway plug-in. I have been to visit and got meowed at from the top of the cat tree.

Next dose of Gabapentin is at 10 pm.

Poor baby!!!

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Indeed! He’s doing MUCH BETTER now that he’s on the Gabapentin. However, I don’t want to let him out of K-SHU until the carpets have been cleaned and are dry. (Tuesday). AT LEAST.

This is going to be ridiculously difficult because I KNOW that Aramis will be pawing at my bedroom door and Spice will be pawing to be let out of K-SHU, 

Spice does have an X-ray appointment on Tuesday to see if he has arthritis. (Like human, like cat, I suppose). So he will get out, then, and I’ll talk to the vet about a refill on the Gabapentin and concurrent with Prozac, and also try and get him an echocardiogram with an internist who might have availability before either of the veterinary cardiologists - which is October.

Best of luck to Spice !!

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Thank you! And thank you @Fury Resurrected!!!

I contacted the vet we both know in Minnesnowta and he also gave me some ideas to ask my vet about an injectable arthritis med or two that are approved for horses and dogs, and off-label in cats.

The fish-flavored Prozac is being tolerated, and even though there is tail-twitching and digging in with every muscle in his tiny body as I lift him out of the cat tree, he is not freaked the fuck out when I give him the Gabapentin, now. He’s on “token resistance” of a slightly baleful glare.

Honestly, I think he knows it’s helping. 

That vet is the best, he was extremely helpful (moreso than the ones actually seeing and treating him) in Guava’s last weeks, and is why I had weeks instead of only days

Archived