How do you put on your bra?

Fragile Bird

Apparently the question, how do you put on your bra, is a very controversial and heated topic elsewhere on social media. 

The two main contenders are, by putting on the bra and then reaching around your back to hook it closed, or, by hooking it in front and then turning the bra around. 

Minor variations include hooking it up then stepping into it and pulling it up, or hooking it up and pulling it over your head, down into place. Those seem awkward.

i used to do either of the two first, but now I just use the hook it in front method. Making bras with the hooks in front seems sensible, but only popular with for nursing mothers.

What do you do?

Seems we need to talk about something for 7 more days, right?

I used to hook it up in front and spin round as my mother taught me.  Now I just just find it easyer to hook up behind.  Quiet regularly inside out, only to work out why it was so uncomfortable when I take it off.

I think the more interesting question is, when do you normally take it off, and how.

For me it's often one of the first items of clothes I remove, pulling it out via my sleeves.  Normally  after dinner, but a few hours before bed.  Unless I have company of course, husband don't count.

33 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

Hook up and spin around, but I have always somehow suspected that's the less qualified way to do it and I have some subtle incompetence in my inability to hook it up blind.

Ha! That was the feeling I always got as well. Finally I just said to hell with it.

Apparently there’s this massive twitter thread on the topic. Last week there were more than 4,000 responses, and ladies were sneering at each other for choosing a method that was not to their liking.

The way my mother taught me, close it in the front, pointed downwards, then spin it around and pull it up and the straps over the shoulders.

I tried to close it in the back a few times, but have failed to do that correctly, so I suppose I am sticking with the "inferiour" way.

Re: Pebble's question, I normally remove it when I come home and mostly don't wear it at home. If I don't remove the shirt first, then open it on the back, fiddle with the straps inside the sleeves so the straps fall down, and then pull it out in front of my neck.

Who knew there was a possible argument here?

Am I the only creature of sophistication left? Hook it behind the back, its the only way to fly. 

Meanwhile when removing a bra everyone knows the only dignified method is to pull it out of your sleeve ninety seconds after you get home and begin flailing bonelessly about the house in search of those Avengers Ice Cube trays because you want Iron Man to chill the tears you weep into your glass of Sprite.

13 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

it up and pulling it over your head, down into place. 

Thats the method I use.

13 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Those seem awkward.

Those seem easy for people with the manual skill of an elefant and the patience of a whining three year old. 

8 hours ago, Pebble said:

For me it's often one of the first items of clothes I remove, pulling it out via my sleeves.  Normally  after dinner, but a few hours before bed.  Unless I have company of course, husband don't count.

Why does everybody tend to remove their bra when they want to relax?

Im wearing my bra 24/7 save for showering and swimming. I feel uncomfortable without it, sort of unprotected, while my tits become victims of gravity (they are not that heavy (B/C cup)).

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

The way my mother taught me, close it in the front, pointed downwards, then spin it around and pull it up and the straps over the shoulders.

My mom too, though I did try the hook it in the back way when I was a teen.

I can go either way re taking it off - sometime its off five minutes after I'm home, some days its the most comfortable thing ever and I have to remind myself to not fall asleep in it (often the same bra*)

*oh why lie. I have one bra.

Actually - here's a bra question: how many bras do you have that are in real daily rotation?

I used to hook mine from the, then turn it around. I stopped a long time ago -- I think I wondered if that wasn't stretching them??? And being the cheap bastid I was, I didn't want to chance that. I hook from behind now, regardless.

I also used to sleep my bras on, but stopped because I feared that was stretching them.

I take my bras off when I have my nightly shower. I have small breasts and generally don't experience discomfort from bras.

On this other forum I go to, we once had a thread about post-defecation wiping -- there was a poll asking whether you stand, sit, do something in between, or do something else. No fights broke out, but the thread was kind of awkward, because I think we all visualized respondants wiping in their particular way if they posted it.

55 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

Actually - here's a bra question: how many bras do you have that are in real daily rotation?

Different.

I usually try to change them at least once in a month (My mom tells me it should be once in a week). But honestly the last time I Bra I changed was worn by me for at least three months. In summer you should change them more recently. When I traveled to Rome ( around 40°C) Iwas persuaded by my aunt and mom to use three bras for one week. 

11 minutes ago, Karneol said:

Different.

I usually try to change them at least once in a month (My mom tells me it should be once in a week). But honestly the last time I Bra I changed was worn by me for at least three months. In summer you should change them more recently. When I traveled to Rome ( around 40°C) Iwas persuaded by my aunt and mom to use three bras for one week. 

That sounds right...I generally end up having one bra I really like a given moment, and once in a while - 3 months or so - I will wash it and then put it right back on. (I mean, there's another few that are for something particular - strapless, or that hideous beige one to be worn with that one white button up for conferences - but that's all compromises.)

4 hours ago, Karneol said:

Why does everybody tend to remove their bra when they want to relax?

Im wearing my bra 24/7 save for showering and swimming. I feel uncomfortable without it, sort of unprotected, while my tits become victims of gravity (they are not that heavy (B/C cup)).

Because it is comfortable. ;) I cannot imagine wearing one for sleeping, and don't understand the reasoning for why anybody would do that.

You are right about swimming though, undoing the back strap of the bikini feels so freeing and when you bind it again, you realise how constricting it is. (I only do it if I go swimming late at night in summer, when it is already dark and nobody can see me.)

1 minute ago, Buckwheat said:

Because it is comfortable. ;) I cannot imagine wearing one for sleeping, and don't understand the reasoning for why anybody would do that.

You are right about swimming though, undoing the back strap of the bikini feels so freeing and when you bind it again, you realise how constricting it is. (I only do it if I go swimming late at night in summer, when it is already dark and nobody can see me.)

"Buckwheet sets the boobs free when swimming only when its late, dark and no-one can see her"?  I can imagine what that pictionary chain would turn into.

I don't know how I'd put one on if I needed to, but I can tell you how I take them off:  one-handed with my first two fingers and thumb <rimshot>. 

I'll be here all week folks...or, until the 'Net becomes self-aware and schedules for elimination the subset of biological sentiments designated:  "people who make really bad jokes on forum topics"...or until the sun goes nova and crisps us from existence, whichever comes first (insert existential crisis emoji here).

In all seriousness, based on my (admittedly VERY limited) observations, I always thought the individually preferred method for donning a bra was at least partially related to cup size...it seemed more common for those with smaller cup sizes to prefer the hook behind the back method, while those with larger cup sizes seemed to prefer the hook in front, then twist around back method.

Although this is again based on casual observation of a (very limited) sample size, so I'm sure my calculated margin of error is way up there.

10 minutes ago, Pebble said:

"Buckwheet sets the boobs free when swimming only when its late, dark and no-one can see her"?  I can imagine what that pictionary chain would turn into.

I forbid you to send anything similar to that in as a pictionary sentence. It should be up there on the list of forbidden things, alongside Harry Potter's wand and horny bears.

Archived