Aussie Thread: Democracy Sausage

Paxter

Mandatory voting enjoys widespread public support across the political spectrum.

Advantages include:

- Having to market to the entire electorate. Not just the most partisan / ideological. It's a brake on extreme policy.
- No push for vote disenfranchisement. On the contrary, as voting is compulsory it's made as easy as possible.

Disadvantages include:

- BUT MAH FREEDOMZ!!
- Yeah I'm struggling to come up with any.

I find the 'votes for whoever gives them free stuff' as a critique of the left to be particularly funny this election as one of the main policies from Labor (the center-left) is to take a big government handout away from wealthy investors.

And Australia has a history of electing extreme populist governments.

Spoiler

Oh wait no it doesn't. 

On 5/16/2019 at 5:22 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Now people who couldn’t be bothered to vote otherwise, are compelled to do so, and rather than vote with insight and forethought they will likely just draw their cross next to the guy who promises to give them more free shit.

So in other words, an inevitable gain for any left leaning party.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

13 hours ago, Stubby said:

Having scrutineered at a couple of elections, I can say that those who disapprove of being forced to vote end up voting informally.  That is, they add another box and write in someone like Mickey Mouse or they draw a cock and balls on the ballot paper or write "get fucked".  So their vote doesn't count anyway.

Even the informal vote is useful in that you can assess the number of disengaged voters. Like, you can analyze the trend that over the last decade the number of informal vote have increased so overall more people are unhappy with the option available to them. Or something along that line. That is still a useful matrix.

Of course, then there are those people who just like drawing dicks on everything! :lol:

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

Hey, if the dick doesn't obscure your voting intention it might still be a valid vote?

If that's not a democracy sausage I don't know what is.

Happy democracy sausage day everyone! Heading out to vote soon.

We're in a new electorate, and hopefully we pick our polling booth better this year, and we don't have to go to several to find one with a bbq. The dog will get half my sausage. My lucky wife will probably be offered some expensive bread with a bit of onion in it like last time (vegetarian).

Then tonight we're going to open a bottle of red and sit in front of the TV with some chinese takeaway and watch the results roll in. Hoping to see at least Dutton get rolled.

I love election days! Yes I am strange I know.

I've voted now, and to the amazement of people on the board I am going to confess I voted Labor in the Senate.

Paul Fletcher still gets my vote in the Reps, it's a blue ribbon Liberal seat anyway so no chance of that changing. And he seems to communicate well with the electorate.

I fully expect Labor to form government but the real battle will be in the Senate, which unfortunately the TV networks are going to gloss over. But I think the Senate is going to be very important as to how much of Shorten's policies he's actually going to be able to get through Parliament.

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

If that's not a democracy sausage I don't know what is.

It seems a Palmer supporter took this joke a bit too far

4 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Then tonight we're going to open a bottle of red and sit in front of the TV with some chinese takeaway and watch the results roll in. Hoping to see at least Dutton get rolled.

I love election days! Yes I am strange I know.

Brook and I will be making a night of it too, the kids are even with their grandma lol.

@Jeor I'm with you on the Senate being the real question, I'm just hoping for enough semi sane cross bench to make it workable rather than the bunch of racist->Nazi adjacent->explicit Nazi parties that were doubling the size of the Senate ticket.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:08 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

No doubt you are right even though the last 50 years of Australian parliaments have shown the opposite.

In the last seventy years, Australia has had 48 years of conservative governments, and 22 of left-wing governments.

(Amusingly... New Zealand in the same period has had 47 years of conservative governments, and 23 of left-wing governments. With a different voting system, and without compulsory voting).

Yep, Abbott is a goner. A blessing in disguise for the Coalition. If they end up losing, no one's going to look backwards to him for leadership anymore.

A pity that Dutton looks like he's hanging on.

If Labor don't win this it will be a big shock. But I would hate there to be another hung parliament.

Enjoying the ABC coverage.

I'm actually beginning to like Penny Wong.

If Labor lose this election, Shorten might well resign (he's been leader since 2013 now) and she could be one of the new powerbrokers.

1 minute ago, The Winged Shadow said:

So far it does look like LNP will be back.

Assuming they lose a seat in WA though it seems it will be a minority government. Which would majorly suck...

Looks like Jeor and I were wrong and the franking credit scare campaign was actually a winner for the coalition? I'm so fucking dismayed at the implications of this campaign for future elections.

And what the fuck at how off the polling is looking, it would take a huge difference in the prepoll numbers to get close.

Archived