Aussie Thread: Democracy Sausage

Paxter

If only the media actually challenged the narrative that Adani was actually about jobs rather than a prototype for an automated mine with minimal workers

11 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Looks like Jeor and I were wrong and the franking credit scare campaign was actually a winner for the coalition?

I thought Labor's negative gearing and franking credit stuff would have been a vote winner on balance. I guess it's hard to say how much that had an effect, as @The Winged Shadow says the Adani business seems like it had an outsized effect in Queensland.

Looks like it's almost impossible for Labor to win from here. Bill Shorten must be crushed - I really thought they'd win it this time, and coming from a moderate Liberal voter I do concede that he ran a largely positive, policy-based campaign which was much more sensible and substantial than the Liberal personality/scare campaign.

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Looks like Jeor and I were wrong and the franking credit scare campaign was actually a winner for the coalition? I'm so fucking dismayed at the implications of this campaign for future elections.

And what the fuck at how off the polling is looking, it would take a huge difference in the prepoll numbers to get close.

Yeah, no party will risk actually putting up a platform of reform or releasing actual policies before an election. Scare campaigns, an almost total absence of policies or vision, a Daggy Dad leader who spouts bullshit and a cabinet in witness protection won the day. So many issues won't be tackled and climate change policy will again be put on the never never.

In retrospect, probably a good thing poor Bob went out when he did.

However, for once, the Coalition will have to deal with an economic downturn instead of hand-passing the issue to Labor.

Just now, Wall Flower said:

However, for once, the Coalition will have to deal with an economic downturn instead of hand-passing the issue to Labor.

This much is true. Last time the Coalition was able to blame Labor for the GFC (which really wasn't their fault at all) so I suppose this is payback. Morrison talked up his economic credentials and we'll see what that looks like when the downturn hits - there will be one in the next three years, of that I'm sure.

This might sound crass, but I thought Bob Hawke's passing would actually be a big boost to Labor. In that only a few days before the election, people would be reminded of a successful Labor government that managed the economy well and did many constructive things for the country.

5 minutes ago, Jeor said:

This might sound crass, but I thought Bob Hawke's passing would actually be a big boost to Labor. In that only a few days before the election, people would be reminded of a successful Labor government that managed the economy well and did many constructive things for the country.

Crass or not, we were thinking the same thing

18 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Adani probably played a bigger role in QLD.

QLD is now the trashiest state. Taking the mantle from Western Australia :P

QLD has always been the wacky state.

I know people tend to point the finger at WA, but I see WA as more "traditionally" conservative.

QLD is where you get the kind of conservatives who'll blame brown people on raggedy boats as the root cause of all our problems.

It seems like the strategy of preference deals with one nation and palmer has paid off since even though LNP were down on primary votes, the preference flew strongly towards LNP.

Shorten is probably gone after this. Cannot possibly stay on after this disaster.

Senate is probably going to be a clusterfuck as usual.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess Labour supporters can look an the bright side, LNP will be in power when the next global recession hits, so Labour won't get blamed for it.

Oh but don't you see, you can't change to Labor during an economic crisis because only the coalition are sound economic managers. Everyone already "knows" it and the media will do their job and parrot that that is the opinion of the country.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess Labour supporters can look an the bright side, LNP will be in power when the next global recession hits, so Labour won't get blamed for it.

Yes, no one else can get the blame - they've had power the last few years and will have it a few more years yet.

Just now, karaddin said:

Oh but don't you see, you can't change to Labor during an economic crisis because only the coalition are sound economic managers. Everyone already "knows" it and the media will do their job and parrot that that is the opinion of the country.

I think the next economic downturn will happen within 12-18 months, so by the time the next election comes around Labor might be able to say, "Look at that mess, we're going to clean it up" rather than have the Coalition say, "Trust us to clean up the mess that Labor can easily pin on us."

1 minute ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Do the”woke” bunch on this site ever consider that maybe THEY are the extremists, who are out of touch with the normal, middle class, traditional values voter?

If the mainstream is in step with you, then yeah I'm out of touch. Doesn't make it any less fucking reprehensible than you are though.

I think Shorten will have to resign after this result. Everyone expected Labor to win, the Coalition had shot themselves in the foot with the leadership spill and were in all sorts of trouble with Cabinet resignations all over the place and many personally unpopular politicians (Abbott and Dutton). No two ways about it, even if the Libs only get a minority government this is an absolutely disastrous result for the Labor party.

Shorten has had five and a half continuous years as Opposition Leader and contested two federal elections. The Labor party will thank him for his service and try something new.

4 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I think Shorten will have to resign after this result. Everyone expected Labor to win, the Coalition had shot themselves in the foot with the leadership spill and were in all sorts of trouble with Cabinet resignations all over the place and many personally unpopular politicians (Abbott and Dutton). No two ways about it, even if the Libs only get a minority government this is an absolutely disastrous result for the Labor party.

Shorten has had five and a half continuous years as Opposition Leader and contested two federal elections. The Labor party will thank him for his service and try something new.

I think this result suggests he should have resigned after the last one, he absolutely has to go now. The difference in how badly Labor were punished for Rudd/Gillard compared to the price that the Coalition have paid for Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison looks pretty glaring now.

ETA: I think its Albo or Bowen that will get it and that neither of them have a chance of winning the next one - this assumption is why I think Morrison wins the next one too.

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

ETA: I think its Albo or Bowen that will get it and that neither of them have a chance of winning the next one - this assumption is why I think Morrison wins the next one too.

Albo or Plibersek might stand a chance, they both have good name recognition and are pretty popular.

Wong or Bowen as deputy leader maybe.

Archived