Aussie Thread: Democracy Sausage

Paxter

Pretty epic by Barty to win her first grand slam. I'm not a big tennis fan but it's good to see an Aussie player that we can be proud of playing so well on the international stage.

6 hours ago, Paxter said:

Pretty epic by Barty to win her first grand slam. I'm not a big tennis fan but it's good to see an Aussie player that we can be proud of playing so well on the international stage.

It was great to watch.  Also good that she thinks clay is her worst surface.

And also good that she's not a brat like the current crop of Aussie "men" (Kyrgios, Tomic).

Australian tennis has a pretty low bar for sportsmanship but Barty does seem like a genuinely good sort.

18 hours ago, Jeor said:

And also good that she's not a brat like the current crop of Aussie "men" (Kyrgios, Tomic).

Australian tennis men's sport has a pretty low bar for sportsmanship but Barty does seem like a genuinely good sort.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Though to be fair I'm mostly thinking about the Cricket team.

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

Side track: Should we start taking bets on who of @Jeor and @Stubby will get to 10k posts first?! You guys are neck and neck :P.

Stubby will beat me. I only really post in Aussies, Cricket and Tennis (and occasionally Marvel threads), a significant slow down from my crazy posting days when I used to come up with random ASOIAF theories (I still lay claim to being one of the first to raise the prospect of fake Aegon back on the old ezboard!). 

@The Anti-Targ is close too!

Although I just noticed that Stubby and I have join dates only one day apart from each other back in 2005 so there is an eerie symmetry in our post counts...

21 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Stubby will beat me. I only really post in Aussies, Cricket and Tennis (and occasionally Marvel threads), a significant slow down from my crazy posting days when I used to come up with random ASOIAF theories (I still lay claim to being one of the first to raise the prospect of fake Aegon back on the old ezboard!). 

@The Anti-Targ is close too!

Although I just noticed that Stubby and I have join dates only one day apart from each other back in 2005 so there is an eerie symmetry in our post counts...

I moved from legit ASOIAF postings into become a basement dwelling Gen chat inhabitant quite quickly. With a flurry of activity in the GoT TV section prior to and for a few seasons. When I first joined I thought I'd never post enough to make 1000. I guess if you hang around long enough you eventually get there.

+1 to the post count.

There's certainly not enough interesting stuff happening in NZ, or enough NZ board members to be able to sustain its own thread. But given those facts arguably there's no need to be inclusive in this instance. When something really interesting happens in NZ it get's its own thread, and that seems to work OK.

Nice to be given some consideration though.

Edit: and there's now the international thread, which covers all bases.

8 hours ago, Stubby said:

I reckon we should merge with NZ so we can have Jacinta as our PM.

+1

In the referendum there will only be 1 question: "How do you spell the NZ Prime Minister's name?" If you collectively get >50% we'll let you in.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In the referendum there will only be 1 question: "How do you spell the NZ Prime Minister's name?" If you collectively get >50% we'll let you in.

I realised I spelled it wrong after posting it.  I think it's better that Jacinda gets spelled incorrectly than typing out Scummo all the time.

Just to emphasise a point I made a while ago about the recent election being more consistent with polling than you might think - it's worth looking at the final Senate results.

The Libs and Nationals picked up 19 seats, Labor and the Greens also got 19 between them. One Nation managed to get Roberts re-elected in Queensland (lol) and Lambie somewhat heroically re-won her Tassie seat. Yes, the right-leaning parties did a little better than expected (especially in Qld where Labor got a paltry single Senator), but these results are not overall inconsistent with 51-49 or 52-48 polling.

For the record, the Coalition fell four seats short of an overall Senate majority. They can count on Bernardi, but will need to compromise to get either One Nation (2 votes) or the Centre Alliance (2 votes) (or both) plus or minus Lambie to pass legislation. It's a less complicated Senate map than we had after the double dissolution in 2016, but the electorate is being quite consistent in denying any major party upper house control.

Hehe speaking of Bernardi he has called time on his own political party. Will be interesting to see now whether he resigns (leading to a casual vacancy for the Libs) or stays on as an independent voting with the Government.

I assume there is no chance the Liberals would accept him back into the fold after he won a six-year term on the Liberal ticket only to dump the party after the election.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:35 AM, Paxter said:

Hehe speaking of Bernardi he has called time on his own political party. Will be interesting to see now whether he resigns (leading to a casual vacancy for the Libs) or stays on as an independent voting with the Government.

I assume there is no chance the Liberals would accept him back into the fold after he won a six-year term on the Liberal ticket only to dump the party after the election.

Don't sell them short, mate.  They will embrace him with open arms to get his vote in the senate.

17 hours ago, Stubby said:

Don't sell them short, mate.  They will embrace him with open arms to get his vote in the senate.

Yes. All will be forgiven if they can secure another vote.

It'll be interesting to see if this tax cuts legislation gets through. I for one am ambivalent about the third tranche of cuts (the ones for high earners) as I  think income inequality is a legitimate issue that should be addressed. Given the economy tanking, the first two sets of tax cuts aren't a bad idea and raising Newstart will probably help too (as all of that money will be spent by the people who get the raise and will thus circulate around the economy).

However it's just bad policy to legislate tax cuts so many years into the future, you need flexibility. I tend to be believe an economic crisis of some sort is coming in the next 12-18 months (whether sparked by Brexit, trade wars, US debt or an uncertain next generation of EU leadership and the euro). With interest rates so low, the RBA is very limited in what it can do, so the Australian economy as a whole is going to have to rely on government action and fiscal policy to address whatever issues arise. The banking system is well capitalised so that provides at least one buffer, but it will be interesting to see how this lot (Coalition) manage it.

Archived