Aussie Thread: Democracy Sausage

Paxter

10 hours ago, Paxter said:

Bahaha. That guy is an embarrassment. For that portfolio to go from Frydenberg (a possible future PM) to him is just a joke. 

I'm guessing the bench is not particularly deep...especially with all the ministerial departures.

18 hours ago, Jeor said:

I'm guessing the bench is not particularly deep...especially with all the ministerial departures.

They could've given it to Price! Previously those portfolios were combined under MT...

Is it just me, or are there record numbers of candidates getting blown out of the water with scandals?

I guess in this day and age there are more records of things that would have been discreet 20-30 years ago, but the rate at which candidates are dropping like flies is still pretty crazy.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:26 PM, ants said:

I very much hope the “we’ll give you cash, no solutions and maybe a change in prime minister mid-term to a far righty” party doesn’t beat the “uncharismatic, not perfect solutions, but trying to fix some things and fairer” party.  Labor should be romping this in, but I’m worried. 

I seem to be alone but I genuinely really enjoy Bill Shorten. Sassy Bill > everyone else in Parliament. 

On 5/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, Jeor said:

Is it just me, or are there record numbers of candidates getting blown out of the water with scandals?

I guess in this day and age there are more records of things that would have been discreet 20-30 years ago, but the rate at which candidates are dropping like flies is still pretty crazy.

I think it's a combination of societal attitudes needing to catch up to the internet age, which is a problem we see in other fields as well and is something we'll have to address or no one under a certain age will be able to run for office, and a bunch of candidates + their party not caring about doing the slightest bit of due diligence on candidates that are never going to win (the coalition), or who are deliberately meant to disrupt the process (Palmer).

10 minutes ago, Paxter said:

People can be such morons. How about we just vote people like Anning and Morrison out rather than egging them?

Damn egg didn't break. Couldn't even get that right!

I agree that voting Morrison out is an answer to him, I don't think simply not voting in actual Nazis is sufficient though. Society needs to shun these fucks so that they know they have no place here, as soon as they start getting the space they've had recently their toxic ideas start breeding in those that aren't quite as extreme. Don't let them forget for a second that Nazis are scum that have been shorthand for "we can kill these baddies in movies without any guilt" for 70 years.

1 hour ago, Impmk2 said:

Damn egg didn't break. Couldn't even get that right!

Because Morrison is soft in the head.

But seriously, if you are a Liberal and you get egged at a CWA meeting you have lost your base.

So Folau is found guilty of CoC violation, and so the ARU can boot him out with no compo. I suspect though that this is only round 1 of the legal part of the dispute.

The ARU should probably offer Folau a "no fault" payout and get him to piss off and take up a new career as a pastor so that he can say whatever hateful thing he wants about the LGBT community in his own safe space.

I suppose no coach or selector is obliged to pick him for a team even if he remains on contract. So he could just go on gardening leave for 4 years. Expensive for the ARU to have to pay Folau to have him sit with his thumb up his arse for 4 years. But if Folau ultimately wins the dispute through appeals what's to be done if no coach or selector will put him in a playing squad?

42 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So Folau is found guilty of CoC violation, and so the ARU can boot him out with no compo. I suspect though that this is only round 1 of the legal part of the dispute.

The culture wars definitely makes it possible the right will try take this up as a court case to champion their rights to bigotry.

Pretty depressing how little traction the UN report on the likelihood of 1 million species going extinct got yesterday, the media loves the flashy story of the egg.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yes, being guilty of the Code of Conduct violation is only the first step - they'll then need to actually terminate his contract, which I imagine he will challenge in court. It will probably still be quite a lengthy, drawn-out saga.

The more I hear about this franking credits thing the more I think it's a loser for the Coalition. Old people who pay no tax getting to cash out their franking credits is ridiculous (remember, they're still already getting the original dividend as well, and franking credits are meant to offset your tax, so if you pay none, tough luck - you shouldn't get to cash them out). Added to the negative gearing it's very easy to point to the Coalition as the party of old rich Baby Boomers getting richer - and actively helping them to do so.

It's one thing to be a liberal (in the classical market sense) economist, but it's quite another thing to actually have government interventions that actively help the rich get even further ahead. They definitely do not want to go the way of the Republican party in the US, which is where the future lies if they continue on this track record.

Anthony Mundine has commented on the obviously racist attacks on Israel Folau. Given Israel’s posting on twitter was an expression of his ethnic origin as a Pacific Islander and Rugby Australia (no longer the ARU btw) has acted in a way that, is not only likely to but has intimidated Israel and others in the islander community, maybe there’s a case based on section 18c of the racial discrimination act. It is obviously offending the islander community and its threatening dismissal of employment, that sould constitute a criminal offence. I look forward to the ALP extending 18c to other areas like religious beliefs…

From, I think the only Queenslander here, my guess would be ALP will get around 80 seats and form majority. ALP lose a couple up north but gain elsewhere. PHON will be lucky to get a senate seat here as I think Clive will get one if advertising and preferences influence people at all.

48 minutes ago, Squab said:

From, I think the only Queenslander here, my guess would be ALP will get around 80 seats and form majority. ALP lose a couple up north but gain elsewhere. PHON will be lucky to get a senate seat here as I think Clive will get one if advertising and preferences influence people at all.

You have a few banana-bending compatriots on here, but they tend to be lurkers (I'm looking at you neal).

In terms of election predictions...I'm hesitant to commit. On the one hand I'm expecting a Liberal bloodbath in Victoria and Queensland, with lots of marginal seats turning red. On the other hand I think Morrison's leadership might have sandbagged the Liberals in Qld, plus I'm always worried about the ALP in NSW....

I still think there are some differences going on this election, the environment and climate change are the number one issue for the first time and I think that's going to take a while to filler through the political consciousness. I'm not sure whether that can be having an impact that throws off the polling, but it can certainly lead to misunderstanding other indicators.

Murdoch's decision to attack Shorten over his mother might have been the biggest gift they could have given him, one of his biggest weaknesses is coming across as insincere and it handed him a sympathetic time to give a speech that was wholly authentic. With the coalition launch on mothers day no less. What the fuck were they thinking with that?

18 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Sledge Labor at all costs.  As they always do.

I thought they tried to be strategic, that's what I'm surprised by. Not that they're awful but that it was pretty clearly a bad idea

The Murdoch press coverage notwithstanding, I think this has been a very uninteresting campaign. Both parties' platforms are reasonably well understood and there haven't been many flashy announcements or developments. We've really been scraping the barrel with stories about FB posts that unimportant candidates made ten years ago.

I wonder what the turnout would be if we didn't have compulsory voting...

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

I wonder what the turnout would be if we didn't have compulsory voting...

I shudder to think what the campaign would have been like without compulsory voting. If you think the Coalition is drifting more and more to the right (which it is), think about what it would be like if it was a US system where all they had to do was convince the hardcore fanatics to turn out to vote.

I think Labor will get a comfortable victory but not by as many seats as they would wish. A majority of maybe 5-10 seats. 

I hope most of the minor parties get wiped out in the Senate. Too many got in during the last double dissolution election (where the state vote quotas were lower because every Senator was up for re-election) so the Senate balance will hopefully return to normal.

Archived