Game of Thrones character poll

Cersei_Lannister

Amazing how many who put Daenerys as their "least favorite", surpassing lovely characters like Cersei, Joffrey, Meryn Trant, Alliser Thorne, Gregor Clegane, the Waif (she's probably my least favorite now when I think of it), etc.

People are entitled to their own opinion but damn, people are strange...

7 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Amazing how many who put Daenerys as their "least favorite", surpassing lovely characters like Cersei, Joffrey, Meryn Trant, Alliser Thorne, Gregor Clegane, the Waif (she's probably my least favorite now when I think of it), etc.

People are entitled to their own opinion but damn, people are strange...

From you comment I see you believe that people should not enjoy characters that do not allign with their personal morality. I can tell you this assertion is false. I enjoy good villians. I really liked Tywin Lannister for example. I hated his politics. I disagreed with almost every moral decision he made. But I enjoyed the character. Daenerys does horrible things and never admits they are bad. She's not burdoned by them and doesn't even wrestle with the morality of the action, even when her advisors ask her to. That's fine. Niether does Ramay. But at least with characters like Ramsay and Joffry they were true to their convictions. They were horrible people who enjoyed being horrible people. Daenerys is a horrible person who believes herself to be a hero. That's what makes her so unappealing as a character. 

1 hour ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

Daenerys is a horrible person who believes herself to be a hero.

Hmm, not sure if the thousands of slaves she freed or thousand of would-be dothraki rape/murder-victims in a world where they continued on as usual instead of following her to Westeros would agree with this assessment. 

I find Daenerys intriguing because of her ambivalence. She's the saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" personified.
Is she flawed? That's for damn sure, but "horrible" is a bit of a stretch. If you look at her from a Black and White perspective, she becomes boring.  

4 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Hmm, not sure if the thousands of slaves she freed or thousand of would-be dothraki rape/murder-victims in a world where they continued on as usual instead of following her to Westeros would agree with this assessment. 

I find Daenerys intriguing because of her ambivalence. She's the saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" personified.
Is she flawed? That's for damn sure, but "horrible" is a bit of a stretch. If you look at her from a Black and White perspective, she becomes boring.  

I'm sure they don't. How are those subjects doing by the way? Daenerys destroyed the economic system of three major interdependent cities overnight without providing a replacement. She was keeping those citties (when they weren't in the midst of civil war) together by sheer force of will and fear. I'm sure everything is working fine now that Daario is leading Mireen. And let's not even talk about the hundreds (or is it thousands? It's so easy to lose track) of people mercilessly murdered in her persuit of power.

Daenerys is very good at breaking things and bringing death. Not so good at stable substantive policy. She's a terrible ruler. Not unexpected really, given that she had no experience and no training. But her insistence on ruling and her "obey me or die" mentality is not a good combination. She's also quite partial to fits of rage that result in hundreds of innocent deaths like, for example, the crusifixons in Mireen. But hey, she says she's a hero so we must believe her. Right? 

Archived