The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread II

AncalagonTheBlack

Read Tchaikovsky's latest, Cage of Souls. Really enjoyed it, probably my favourite of his books so far. A Dying Earth sort of thing, in which he's managed to build a really rich world where he captures the feel of the scraps and ends of several disparate stories from the world's long long history clash together in its dying days.

I started reading Arkady Martine's A Memory Called Empire. I'm about 200 pages in after a day, having nearly missed most of the changes and stops on my commute. It is ridiculously entertaining. Politically-slanted space opera with a nonetheless playfull tone and all the intrigue and twists and turns you could ask for.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:59 PM, polishgenius said:

Read Tchaikovsky's latest, Cage of Souls. Really enjoyed it, probably my favourite of his books so far. A Dying Earth sort of thing, in which he's managed to build a really rich world where he captures the feel of the scraps and ends of several disparate stories from the world's long long history clash together in its dying days.

That's good to know. I was more interested in Children of Ruin out of the three books Tchaikovsky has coming out in April/May, but may pick this up at some point as well.

Looking on Amazon I see he has another story, Made Things coming out in November, because three books in a year just isn't enough. No summary yet, although it looks more like a novella from the length.

Just finished Holy Sister by Mark Lawrence. It was a very satisfying end to the trilogy. It wasn’t perfect, and some points were a bit too on the nose, but I really enjoyed it overall and couldn’t but it down. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:59 PM, polishgenius said:

I don't know how he manages to be do prolific and high quality. I read that he became a full time author last year so we msy be seeing the benefit of that. I keep thinking these stand-alone books will be disposable but "dog soldiers" is still my favourite read of the year so far. Guess i need to add another of his books to my list.

4 hours ago, unJon said:

Just finished Holy Sister by Mark Lawrence. It was a very satisfying end to the trilogy. It wasn’t perfect, and some points were a bit too on the nose, but I really enjoyed it overall and couldn’t but it down. 

Need to grab this too. I have his 80s stranger things inspired series to read as well. Need to check what he has cooking next, more books set in the world of holy sister or something different.

Daniel Abraham. Long Price Quartet. Just about to finish the second book in the giant one-volume edition published by Tor. 

Fuck me gently sideways with a rusty chainsaw - this is just so fantastically unique and unlike anything else I have ever read! And everyone is just so interesting and complicated! And the plot is a wonderful slow-burn of a plot full of zigs and zags! 

It's just so good! 

On 4/12/2019 at 1:47 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Just started Holy Sister, not loving it so far, but only 10% in.

I'm reading "one word kill" and it's grabbed me from the get go. Lawrence's writing fits really well in a contemporary setting. And the story races along as there's no need for world-building meaning the time spent on explaining the SF element doesn't bog things down.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:13 AM, IlyaP said:

Daniel Abraham. Long Price Quartet. Just about to finish the second book in the giant one-volume edition published by Tor. 

Fuck me gently sideways with a rusty chainsaw - this is just so fantastically unique and unlike anything else I have ever read! And everyone is just so interesting and complicated! And the plot is a wonderful slow-burn of a plot full of zigs and zags! 

It's just so good! 

Jesus, if you like the 1st two books that much, wait until the next two.  Or rather... don't wait, just keep reading.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:34 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Continued from previous topic.

Just got the new Parker book, which, i'm hoping to crack open later tonight.:)

Sigh. The new KJ Parker book may be the most KJ Parker book ever. I mean that in all the good and bad ways possible. 

Good: Very cynical. Fun story. Interesting narrator and protagonist. Some good twists. 

Bad: At least one not credible coincidence critical to plot. Ends abruptly and left feeling a little let down that it wasn’t building to something better.

Not sure Parker ever stuck an ending for me. Maybe Folding Knife. Or Sharps.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:37 AM, Winterfella said:

Jesus, if you like the 1st two books that much, wait until the next two.  Or rather... don't wait, just keep reading.

I'm a few pages away from the end of A Betrayal in Winter. You know what I love? Aside from everything else, I mean. I love how the title doesn't refer to any one specific person, but to a theme that's exhibited/thought about/felt by a majority of the primary characters. 

It's amazing! 

• 3 weeks later...

May Releases

My TBR list:

One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence (May 1)
Empire of Grass by Tad Williams (May 7)
A Brightness Long Ago by Guy Gavriel Kay (May 14)
Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky - (May 14 US/May 16 UK)
An Illusion of Thieves by Cate Glass (aka Carol Berg) (May 21)
The Red-Stained Wings by Elizabeth Bear (May 28)
Walking to Aldebaran by Adrian Tchaikovsky (May 28)
The October Man by Ben Aaronovitch (May 31 U.S.)

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Also, just bought Exhalation by Ted Chiang. Probably most anticipated story collection of the year.

I didn't know he had some new material out. That collection from 15 years ago is a favourite of mine. Thanks for the info.

Archived