06-04     Neal Stephenson     Fall, or Dodge in Hell
06-04     Fran Wilde     The Fire Opal Mechanism
06-04     Sarah Gailey     Magic for Liars
06-04     Karen Lord     Unraveling
06-11     Cameron Johnston     God of Broken Things • The Age of Tyranny #2
06-11     Richard Kadrey     The Grand Dark
06-13     Peter Newman     The Ruthless • The Deathless Trilogy #2 [UK]
06-18     Max Gladstone     Empress of Forever
06-25     Michael Swanwick     The Iron Dragon's Mother • The Iron Dragon's Daughter #3
06-27     Ed McDonald     Crowfall • The Raven's Mark #3 [UK]

I'm looking forward to God Of Broken Things and Crowfall.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding this to the list as I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, and even though it's a reprint, it should be celebrated: 

Random Penguin are republishing Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry, with new covers and typeface - one that is far easier to read than the previous Ace editions that featured a think, ink-blot serif typeface that was difficult on the eyes (and which also featured a blurry world map, for reasons unknown to me). The Summer Tree came out in January of this year. 

Here's the link: https://penguinrandomhouseeducation.com/book/?isbn=9780451458223

(This is the hill I will die on - a bad typeface or font will absolutely guarantee that I will not read your book. I get eye-strain *way* too easily these days, even with reading glasses, one of the, uh, "perks" of getting older.)

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh good, I have't read Song ofrArborne specifically cause the ones in the store make me feel like i have eye drops.

Yeah, the Roc version is (sorry to any Roc publishers reading this!) absolutely awful. The Harper Voyager edition is the best edition to obtain, if it's within your means and ability to do so.

35 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Yeah, the Roc version is (sorry to any Roc publishers reading this!) absolutely awful. The Harper Voyager edition is the best edition to obtain, if it's within your means and ability to do so.

Hey at this point I'll track down a decent hardcover if i have too. My god that font. I had to show it to other people to make sure I wasn't having eye problems.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

My god that font. I had to show it to other people to make sure I wasn't having eye problems.

*claps*

I did the same! Showed it to store staff and friends alike as we marvelled and wondered who thought such a thing was a good idea - and was that person or persons even a book reader? 

Aim for that Harper Collins edition if you can! 

It would not be surprising if we start seeing new editions of all of GGK's books being reprinted, given that The Fionavar Tapestry was optioned for development two years ago. If production actually does go forward on that, chances are new editions of all of his works will start coming out as part of a concerted marketing push. 

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

FONTS MATTER

:wub:

Thank you for getting that! 

Would you like me to have a look around the stores in Sydney? If I can find a copy that has a modern typeface, I'd be happy to post it your way! 

12 hours ago, IlyaP said:

:wub:

Thank you for getting that! 

Would you like me to have a look around the stores in Sydney? If I can find a copy that has a modern typeface, I'd be happy to post it your way! 

Already snagged a Harper Collins copy off the Amazon, but thanks for asking.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Already snagged a Harper Collins copy off the Amazon, but thanks for asking.

Welcome! Facilitating book-reading is obviously near and dear to me, so, y'know, I'll never not make the offer if it puts a gem into a reader's hands! :)

I started reading Max Gladstone's Empress of Forever. It's reallllllly  good so far (about 200 pages in I think). Lightly written yet dense enough that it packs a lot in. Also, it's marketed heavily as the big space opera of the year and it definitely has space opera in it, but it's almost more of a modern planetary romance, old school pulp style given a post-tech-revolution... makeover is the wrong word. It takes modern ideas as its ludicrously unscientific justification for way old school tropes and settings. 

Anyway I'm having a ball.

"step by step" the autobiography by Simon Reeve is fascinating. His childhood and background are not what i expected based on his onscreen persona. I've just covered the part where he spent 4 years of his life researching and writing his book on al quaeda and how it was a massive flop. Then 9/11 happened and he suddenly found himself to be the only person on the planet to have written a book on the perpetrators. 

Fiction wise I'm reading "dispel illusion" the sequel to mark lawrence's "one word kill" released way back in May. It's just as fun as the first book and the prose is far more comfortable than his fantasy prose and i get the impression contemporary phrases and thoughts really brings his writing alive. There was nothing wrong with his fantasy prose either.

I have Empress of Forever and Limited Wish, the Mark Lawrence one (Dispell Illusion is the third one I think :)), lined up.  So, very pleased to see the good reviews.  Also, almost certainly will get around to October Man, the Ben Aaronovitch novella sooner than later.

For some reason, and this feels like a share in group therapy, I’m currently reading fucking Name of the Wind for probably the fourth time.  I swear I only went to check something I saw on a thread on reddit, but now I’m reading the whole book.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:22 AM, polishgenius said:

I started reading Max Gladstone's Empress of Forever. It's reallllllly  good so far (about 200 pages in I think). Lightly written yet dense enough that it packs a lot in. Also, it's marketed heavily as the big space opera of the year and it definitely has space opera in it, but it's almost more of a modern planetary romance, old school pulp style given a post-tech-revolution... makeover is the wrong word. It takes modern ideas as its ludicrously unscientific justification for way old school tropes and settings. 

Anyway I'm having a ball.

That's good to know, I really enjoyed Gladstone's Craft Cycle books, so I'm definitely interested in other things he's doing. I see he's also got a book (co-written with Amal El-Mohtar) called This is how you lose the Time War coming out soon, which also sounds intriguing.

• 3 weeks later...

July picks:

07-02     Bradley P. Beaulieu     Beneath the Twisted Trees • The Song of Shattered Sands #4
07-02     Ed McDonald     Crowfall • The Raven's Mark #3 (US)
07-02     Duncan M. Hamilton     Dragonslayer • The Dragonslayer #1
07-02     Paul Tremblay     Growing Things and Other Stories
07-02     Peter McLean     Priest of Lies • War for the Rose Throne #2
07-02     Wayne Barlowe     The Heart of Hell • God's Demon #2
07-02     Chuck Wendig     Wanderers
07-09     Michael J. Sullivan     Age of Legend • Legends of the First Empire #4
07-09     Sean Grigsby     Ash Kickers • Smoke Eaters #2
07-09     Mercedes Lackey     Eye Spy • Valdemar: Family Spies #2
07-09     S. L. Huang     Null Set • Cas Russell #2
07-09     Tade Thompson     Survival of Molly Southbourne
07-09     Cherie Priest     The Toll
07-11     Benjanun Sriduangkaew     And Shall Machines Surrender
07-16     Christopher Ruocchio     Howling Dark • Sun Eater #2
07-16     Kerstin Hall     The Border Keeper
07-16     Evan Winter     The Rage of Dragons • The Burning #1 (Hardcover debut)
07-16     Amal El-Mohtar, Max Gladstone     This Is How You Lose the Time War
07-16     Molly Gloss     Unforeseen
07-23     C. S. E. Cooney     Desdemona and the Deep
07-23     Silvia Moreno-Garcia     Gods of Jade and Shadow
07-23     Fonda Lee     Jade War • The Green Bone Saga #2
07-23     Emily Devenport     Medusa in the Graveyard • Medusa Cycle #2
07-23     Tricia Sullivan     Sweet Dreams (US)
07-23     David Wellington     The Last Astronaut
07-23     H. G. Parry     The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
07-23     Anthony Ryan     The Wolf's Call • Raven's Blade #1
07-25     Andrew Caldecott     Lost Acre • Rotherweird #3
07-25     Alexander Dan Vilhjálmsson  Shadows of the Short Days
07-25     Anna Smith Spark     The House of Sacrifice • Empires of Dust #3 (UK)
07-25     Aliette de Bodard     The House of Sundering Flames • Dominion of the Fallen #3
07-30     JY Yang     Ascent to Godhood • Tensorate #4
07-30     Pierce Brown     Dark Age • Red Rising #5
07-30     Levi Black     Death Goddess Dance • Mythos War #3
07-30     Andrew Bannister     Iron Gods • The Spin Trilogy #2 (US)
07-30     Claire O'Dell     The Hound of Justice • Janet Watson Chronicles #2
07-30     Leo Carew     The Spider • Under the Northern Sky #2 (US)

I'm almost done with Crowfall and have pre-ordered The Wolf's Call and The House of Sacrifice.

Archived