The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread II

AncalagonTheBlack

• 3 weeks later...

Just started the first chapter of Anthony Ryan's The Wolf’s Call.

Ryan returns to the world of the Raven’s Shadow series and it continues the story of Vaelin Al Sorna.I'm liking it so far.From what i read online, it seems the problems that some readers had with books #2 and particularly #3 have been fixed and it's a return to form of book #1.Let's see, fingers crossed. :)

Oh,if anyone wants to quickly get up to date with the story in the previous trilogy, there's a very nice synopsis and plot summary of all three books here:

https://beralshakur.fandom.com/wiki/Blood_Song
https://beralshakur.fandom.com/wiki/Tower_Lord_(book)
https://beralshakur.fandom.com/wiki/Queen_of_Fire

Old topic:

My new novel, an action/adventure fantasy in a north African-based setting (a blend of Morocco/Egypt and the Sahara) is released today!

Published by Elsewhen Press, the ebook is out today (on multiple platforms) and paperback comes out in October. The publisher link below has links to the various ebook venders such as Amazon.

http://bit.ly/ThornsOfABlackRose

12 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

My new novel, an action/adventure fantasy in a north African-based setting (a blend of Morocco/Egypt and the Sahara) is released today!

Published by Elsewhen Press, the ebook is out today (on multiple platforms) and paperback comes out in October. The publisher link below has links to the various ebook venders such as Amazon.

I liked Resurrection Men a lot so will give this a shot.   I googled it and hit the link to the book on Amazon, and it said the kindle price was $350.00 ?!!

Then I noticed the link had sent me to Amazon.in, it was 350.00 rupees, not dollars.

Just downloaded Recursion by Blake Crouch for my Kindle, it came out last month. I've never read the Wayward Pines series and not that interested to, but his previous book, Dark Matter, I loved and have read that twice now. Recursion is right up my alley too, I'm about 20% in and enjoying it. It's like people being able to "Quantum Leap" into a memory in their own lives putting right what once went wrong for them, but typical to Crouch though it shows the dark side of that...history changing subtly or not so subtly, Mandela Effect being a manifestation of that, kids that were born having never being born and vice versa, people alive that were dead and vice versa. It's interesting.  

Also last week I downloaded Shawn Inmon's 11th book in his Middle Falls series when it just came out. I made it three days without starting on it, but once I did, like always, I read straight through and was done the next day.

10 hours ago, Leofric said:

I liked Resurrection Men a lot so will give this a shot.   I googled it and hit the link to the book on Amazon, and it said the kindle price was $350.00 ?!!

Then I noticed the link had sent me to Amazon.in, it was 350.00 rupees, not dollars.

Thanks!

For a moment there my heart sank, thinking Amazon had screwed up the price, and would need to contact the publisher. The publisher page linked above has direct links to the various regional Amazon links. (Also available on Apple, Nook etc)

Hope you enjoy! It’s worth every rupee.

23 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Awesome! As chance would have it I was looking for this last weekend as I needed a new book for my commute. Obviously i was a week out but its already next in the queue :) 

Out of curiosity (and if you prefer not to reply, or to reply in boarders writing a novel or wherever else go for it) how are sales for RM doing? Is your publisher pleased with them, and more importantly are you?

On 7/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Awesome! As chance would have it I was looking for this last weekend as I needed a new book for my commute. Obviously i was a week out but its already next in the queue :) 

Out of curiosity (and if you prefer not to reply, or to reply in boarders writing a novel or wherever else go for it) how are sales for RM doing? Is your publisher pleased with them, and more importantly are you?

Sales for Resurrection Men aren't as good as I'd like. According to the publisher, independent presses like themselves have seen a drop in sales recently across the board, but how RM compares sales-wise to their other recent books I don't know. I've sold roughly 105 books (digital and paperback) but that includes 20 copies I bought myself at a discounted rate to sell on to indie bookshops etc. Of those 20 I've sold 2, got 4 in a small bookshop on a sale-or-return basis (will need to check if they've sold yet), and another bookshop will take two copies. A month hasn't passed that I've not sold at least one copy.

The main hurdle as a new writer with a small publisher is getting noticed. E-books, Amazon etc should be good for small presses, but the market is flooded with 99 cent self-published works, so it's hard getting noticed. It's also hard getting reviews from bloggers, newspapers etc. There's so many others trying to get reviews, most just don't reply. I've managed to get two sites to review RM, with another reading it at the moment. So far one of those (probably the second, too) will consider Thorns.  I spend a lot of time on social media trying to promote it, but again so is every other writer out there.

I'll go into more detail about the 'joys' of being a new writer on the Boarders Writing a Novel page later.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:43 AM, The Last Storm said:

dont know if it was mentioned but Dark Age by Pierce Brown (book 5/5 of Red Rising) just came out and has me so far. about 1/4 through and i have to say it might be the best in the séries, a lot to go though.

Interesting. I liked the first two but 3&4 became more and more dull. It reminded me of what reading Dan Brown was like.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, Quinze said:

Interesting. I liked the first two but 3&4 became more and more dull. It reminded me of what reading Dan Brown was like.

your right about 3 and 4 for sure. i would say finish the series. i think 5 rivals #1 as the best in the series.

finished the book today. found out a new trilogy is planned taking place after Dark Age. im sure we will see the trilogy completed before Winds is released.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

News! a new translation of Dumas’s Twenty Years Later, by Lawrence Ellsworth. The first new translation in a long time. Sequel to The Three Musketeers.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/618019/twenty-years-after-by-alexandre-dumas/9781643132020

~~~~~~~~~~

Under Occupation (Nov. 12, 2019) by Alan Furst.

A new installment in his historical espionage series featuring protagonists who know the German invasions and war is coming, who are planning in their own ways to do their best to prepare, to create effective spy and resistance networks – and those who get pulled in, whether they intended to or not. This title, Under Occupation (Nov., 12, 2019), is in 1942 occupied Paris, and Germany. As in the previous books, a United States alliance against Germany is what, they are all, in the end, hoping for; when possible the figures or people they are protecting get to safety in New York or London. 

These days, we all know there is no safety in either place, and refugees from violence aren’t acceptable. This rather colors how one will read this novel, perhaps, as it also seems this fact is coloring how the author wrote this novel. The protagonist of this one, Paul Ricard, is an espionage historical novelist himself, which in itself, creates an odd angle by which the events are perceived. But never fear, like all Furst's other protags, Ricard is irresistible to a series of astonishing women.

Archived