The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread II

AncalagonTheBlack

• 1 month later...

Not much new epic fantasy coming out this month, so i selected 3 random books based on rec's from The Guardian:

Fate of the Fallen (Shroud of Prophecy #1) by Kel Kade (Tor Books)

The Shadow Saint (Black Iron Legacy #2) by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan (Orbit)

The Glass Breaks (Form and Void #1) by A.J. Smith (Head of Zeus)

I've started with The Glass Breaks.I'm just a few chapters in, but so far it's pretty good.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:29 AM, Zorral said:

William Gibson's prequel to The Peripheral officially is published on the 21st, though it is available now.

First mainstream review (that I've seen) here.

This analysis of the novel captures the various elements and themes at play quite well.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/22/agency-william-gibson-review

(I *plowed* through Agency in all of three days. Enjoyed every second.)

35 minutes ago, unJon said:

Actually it’s more like a Novella. Classic Parker. 

It's a fun story. I liked it quite a bit, even though I tend to enjoy his work without any supernatural elements more. Also love the cover art (I wish Subterranean Press would use this art style for their Parker books).

On 2/12/2020 at 6:28 PM, IlyaP said:

This analysis of the novel captures the various elements and themes at play quite well.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/22/agency-william-gibson-review

(I *plowed* through Agency in all of three days. Enjoyed every second.)

2 days for me. I enjoyed every second of it also. Is it just me or is Gibson becoming more of an optimist in his old age? This was nowhere near as dark as his older stuff.

6 hours ago, maarsen said:

Is it just me or is Gibson becoming more of an optimist in his old age? This was nowhere near as dark as his older stuff.

The impression his texts have given me over the last few years is that he's delighting in the weirdness of the quotidian and happy to let that bemusement shine through in his texts. Hell, he intentionally wrote a thriller about military contracts for clothing.

Bill G is not getting optimistic in his older years.  Quite the contrary.  Even Bruce Sterling, that eternal ain't tech just the frackin' best shyte evah, is pretty much convinced democracy is finished, and that tech, due to climate catastrophe, isn't that far behind.

The Guardian's put up an excerpt from The Mirror and the Light, Hilary Mantel's conclusion volume of her Thomas Cromwell trilogy -- which makes him a sympathetic and good man, which, in fact, knowing the facts, particularly his role in the first Dissolution, hard to swallow. Of course, by now, for most of us? at least me! it's probably impossible to separate her Thomas Cromwell from Mark Rylance's interpretation of Mantel's Thomas Cromwell.  Damn, Rylance did that good!  :bowdown:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/feb/22/the-mirror-and-the-light-hilary-mantel-extract

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The Guardian's put up an excerpt from The Mirror and the Light, Hilary Mantel's conclusion volume of her Thomas Cromwell trilogy -- which makes him a sympathetic and good man, which, in fact, knowing the facts, particularly his role in the first Dissolution, hard to swallow. Of course, by now, for most of us? at least me! it's probably impossible to separate her Thomas Cromwell from Mark Rylance's interpretation of Mantel's Thomas Cromwell.  Damn, Rylance did that good!  :bowdown:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/feb/22/the-mirror-and-the-light-hilary-mantel-extract

Some epic powers of self-delusion on display here, called out by both his son and Rafe.  So, so excited for this book.  In my imagination he is not Mark Rylance's slim, sad Cromwell but the venal and arrogant man painted by Holbein.  That said, Claire Foy nailed Anne Boleyn better than anyone who has ever played her, including Natalie Portman. 

Just finished False Value by Aaronovitch.  Some nice, innovative touches in the writing but also some undecipherable scenes.  Not his best work, but I think the start of a new story arc. 

7 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Some epic powers of self-delusion on display here, called out by both his son and Rafe.  So, so excited for this book.  In my imagination he is not Mark Rylance's slim, sad Cromwell but the venal and arrogant man painted by Holbein.

Here is where we find that Cromwell, and so much more too -- highly recommended:

Thomas Cromwell: A Revolutionary Life (2018) by Diarmaid MacCulloch

11 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Some epic powers of self-delusion on display here, called out by both his son and Rafe.  So, so excited for this book.  In my imagination he is not Mark Rylance's slim, sad Cromwell but the venal and arrogant man painted by Holbein.  That said, Claire Foy nailed Anne Boleyn better than anyone who has ever played her, including Natalie Portman. 

Just finished False Value by Aaronovitch.  Some nice, innovative touches in the writing but also some undecipherable scenes.  Not his best work, but I think the start of a new story arc. 

Holy crap, I had no idea False Value was coming out(not out here til tuesday) this soon.

5 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Picked up De Castell's first book in the Greatcoats series, Traitor's Blade. Read the first few pages and it's got style for miles. Looking very forward to chomping into this later today!

:thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Ben Aaronvitch is doing a book signing at one of the local bookshops tomorrow so I'm going to pick up a copy then.

Archived