The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread II

AncalagonTheBlack

On 3/14/2020 at 11:14 AM, Zorral said:

Very fortunate indeed.  So envious.

I dropped my health club and gym memberships in the mid-90's when I realized I was getting infected with colds and flu from the other members.  Began working out work outs of various kinds I could do that included elements of cal, aerobics, dance, weights, stretch, that I could do in the confines of home.  So I went from cds and radio to audio downloads over the years.

But even when I still running in the days of Walkmans and so on, until my Back made that out of the question, I wouldn't shut off the world.  I ran down to the shore of the Hudson River Tiderace and it was wonderful.  I miss what tourism and all the rest did to that run, which also contributed to me quitting running -- though of course it really was The Back.

One of the nice things about life in Sydney - lots of green space, and so many gyms. And some even intelligently built to allow natural light and a reminder of the world outside the gym. New York City being, well, NYC, can't really offer that kind of, uhm, offering. 

5 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

N.K. Jemisin's The City We Became is out today. I'm curious about this one after reading the short story that precedes it. Is anyone starting it today?

I don't remember being that impressed by the short story when I read it in the Hugo packet. On the other hand, Jemisin's previous trilogy was spectacular so I'll probably pick this up at some point but maybe not immediately.

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

I don't remember being that impressed by the short story when I read it in the Hugo packet. On the other hand, Jemisin's previous trilogy was spectacular so I'll probably pick this up at some point but maybe not immediately.

I was born in NYC and I think its the NYC specific aspect of the new trilogy that intrigues me. I have all of Jemisin's previous books but have not yet been inclined to start them. This one just jumps out for me. I think especially with everything going on the in the world and NYC and cities and people living in them being so much on my mind these days. I will probably wait a few days, however. I'm not sure how to link to a tweet but Lauren Panepinto had a pretty interesting discussion on twitter about the creation of the cover, which was very interesting. There be tentacles...

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Speak for yourself! There's a new Mark Lawrence and John Gwynn.

Unfortunately these new characters from Mark just don't do it for me.:( I hope he goes back to the Broken Empire setting.

As for Gwynn, i read the first 2 books of his first series but didn't continue, too generic a setting and story for me.Does that change later on?

On 4/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Unfortunately these new characters from Mark just don't do it for me.:( I hope he goes back to the Broken Empire setting.

How can you possibly know if these characters do it for you if as far as we know we've never met this one before? I understand Book of the Ancestor coz (even though I liked it) the characters did sometimes skate the magical-school cliches (even if usually eventually subverted) but this is unlikely to be that.

15 hours ago, polishgenius said:

How can you possibly know if these characters do it for you if as far as we know we've never met this one before? I understand Book of the Ancestor coz (even though I liked it) the characters did sometimes skate the magical-school cliches (even if usually eventually subverted) but this is unlikely to be that.

I was talking about the characters from Red Sister, which i've read but dropped the series.The new upcoming book is set in the same world.

• 4 months later...

All the New Fantasy Books Arriving in September!
https://www.tor.com/2020/09/01/all-the-new-fantasy-books-arriving-in-september/

All the New Science Fiction Books Arriving in September!
https://www.tor.com/2020/09/02/all-the-new-science-fiction-books-arriving-in-september/

Master of Poisons by Andrea Hairston - looks interesting.Waiting for a few reviews before buying.

The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire #1) by Andrea Stewart - another one that sounds interesting

The Trouble with Peace (Age of Madness #2)—Joe Abercrombie - already pre-ordered!

Dead Man in a Ditch (Fetch Phillips #2) by Luke Arnold - pre-ordered!

A Deadly Education (Scholomance #1) by Naomi Novik - another pre-order

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke - pre-ordered!

• 4 weeks later...

I had two instances recently where I started reading about a new non-fiction book and was excited to get it.  Then, I found the author's name and thought WTF.  The books' names were Killing Crazy Horse: The Merciless Indian Wars in America and The Virginia Dynasty: Four Presidents and the Creation of the American Nation.  

Killing Crazy Horse by Bill O'Reilly

The Virginia Dynasty by Lynne Cheney

Archived