Long distance trading and logistics

Widow's Wail

7 hours ago, Widow's Wail said:

How do merchants like illyrio and xaro xhoan daxos operate long distance trades with places they have never been to without being cheated by their ship captains. How does any of it work? 

I imagine the same way it works nowadays more or less. Just think if you are a ship's captain - you've got possession of whatever's aboard your ship whilst you are at sea. If you betray your merchant employer, you'll have trouble turning those goods in a port. On the other hand, if you successfully make your trade runs, you can hope to buy your ship and set yourself up as an independent trader and make some moves up the food chain. The choice is between steady employment with a possibility of upward mobility versus turning pirate which is a significantly more dangerous line of work.

1. Hire loyal captains, I believe Xaro and illyrio doesn't just have their ships captained by some random sailor he happens to meet, and ships are most likely bought by merchants themselves, there are a lot of honorable and decent people in their world.
2. Captains and sailors salary is probably very good that they don't have resort to stealing whatever in their trades.
3. If the captains cheated a powerful merchants like Illyrio and Xaro, they'll get branded as pirates or thieves and get hunt down, so it's more safer and profitable to stay loyal to them.

for long distance trading I advise you to read about trading, it's too long to explain them here.

When you are as wealthy as Xaro and Illyrio I think you would have the ability to hire sellsails to hunt down any captain who made off with your goods.

I am sure those in their employ are aware of this.

What is they call that? Oh yeah, DETERRENCE.

23 hours ago, Gendarrion said:

2. Captains and sailors salary is probably very good that they don't have resort to stealing whatever in their trades.

I'd say this is actually probably the most right and in depth answer while also kind of being wrong. Ship's captains wouldn't have salaries. They're paid on commission. The percentage of what you bring back to me is what you get, so sail to the best of your ability, get good trades, and keep good books. Salary pay was the death of Adam Smith's capitalism because it turned into people being paid for the perceived value of their existence and not actually for what they generate. 

Archived