Poll x2: Will Sandor Slay Robert Strong? ...or Slay A Dragon?

Platypus Rex

This is a poll.  Please answer "Yes" or "No" to one or both of the following TWO questions:

(1) Will Sandor Clegane Slay the Mystery Warrior Known as Robert Strong?

(2) Will Sandor Clegane Slay A Dragon?

Responses to both questions (e.g. "Yes; No") will be applied to the 2 questions in the above order.  However, if you choose to answer only 1 question, please make sure I know which response you are answering.  The theories are not mutually exclusive; and it is possible to answer "yes" to both.

For context, the FIRST question above relates to a (relatively) popular fan theory or fan prediction dubbed "Clegane-bowl".  The basic idea is that Sandor and his brother Gregor are arch-enemies since childhood, when Gregor severely mutilated Sandor's face.  Ser Gregor, or an undead version of him, is commonly supposed to be Ser Robert Strong.   In many versions of the theory, the showdown between the 2 brothers takes place in a duel, a single combat, a trial-by-combat, a tournament, or an arena combat (hence, "CleganeBowl").  Bran's dream of the 3 shadows is commonly cited in support of the theory, and in this version of the theory, Ser Robert Strong will menace Sansa and Arya, and Jaime and Sandor will team up to defend them.

Some opponents of this theory believe that Sandor has found peace on the Quiet Isle, and believe his arc to be over.  Others feel it would be inconsistent with his character arc, for him to return to a program of vengeance against Gregor, after having supposedly (according to the Elder Brother) put such hate-filled feelings to rest.

The SECOND theory is far less well known, but posits that Sandor's date with destiny is with a very different kind of monster.  It starts with the idea that Sandor is afraid of fire.  But is it possible to be brave when you are afraid?  According to Ned Stark, that is the only time a man can be brave.  And what does it take to slay a dragon, according to Irri?  That's right -- a brave man!   Sandor has already partially overcome his fear of fire when he overcame Lord Beric, with his flaming sword.  Does this foreshadow a greater feat to come?  And of course, as all tale-tellers know, dragonslaying is the ultimate achievement of any True Knight; making this an ironic twist to Sandor's destiny.

To which it is of course objected that Sandor would never slay a dragon, because he is too afraid of fire, and because he despises the ideals of knighthood.

Please feel free to give reasons for your answer or otherwise elaborate.  However, I ask that you not argue with the reasons given by other posters until the third page.  After that, have at it.

Thank you in advance for all votes.

-------------------------------------------------x

"Will Sandor Slay Robert Strong?":  12 for to 11 against.

• For:  chrisdaw, Mat92, Impbread, Karneol, Shara, Legitimate_Bastard, Daemon the Black Dragon, Remiem, redriver, tmhwk, hielmal, Bran the Bodybuilder.
  • Against:  NonoNono, Haus Berlin, Missing Benjen, Clegane'sPup, Dorian Martell's son, broken one, The Gizzard of Oz, Ibbison from Ibben, White Ravens, Plain Simple Tailor, GloubieBoulga.

"Will Sandor Slay A Dragon?":  0 for to 23 against.

• Against:  NonoNono, chrisdaw, Mat92, Impbread, Haus Berlin, Karneol, Shara, Legitimate_Bastard, Missing Benjen, Daemon the Black Dragon, Clegane'sPup, Dorian Martell's son, broken one, Remiem, The Gizzard of Oz, tmhwk, hiemal, Ibbison from Ibben, White Ravens, Bran the Bodybuilder, Plain Simple Tailor, GloubieBoulga.

13 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

I think the Mountain is already dead, I don't think the Hound would want to "put him out of his misery", I think he would be fine with his current status.

I think Aegon will be the one to "kill" him.

And no, no dragon.

Thank you.  

Note that I chose "slay" in place of "kill" because I felt it was more appropriate for monsters, including zombies, vampires and other undeads.

Cleganebowl will be a trial by 7 to decide Sansa's guilt in Joff's murder. Ungregor will fight for the prosecution (Cersei) and Sandor will fight for the defence (Sansa). Sandor may or may not be the one of seven to make the decisive final blow against Ungregor. If you wish to construe this as a yes or no to the question is up to you.

I'm certainly not sure on it but I don't think he will slay a dragon. It's a good possibility, but I think Barry is possibly a little better possibility, and Davos the best possibility (though not alone). I do think however Sandor will brave dragon's fire, and that's all he really needs to do to make good on the arc. So on this I'm a no.

When I read the title of this post, I interpreted it as:

"Will Sandor Slay Robert Strong? Or Will A Dragon Slay Robert Strong"

I think this would be a fitting end to The Mountain he burned his brother and in turn he gets burnt.

I ultimately think it would be much more satisfying to see Sandor kill him, however it should be noted that in a literary sense, both The Hound and the Mountain are "dead." So it will be interesting to see if this happens.

I agree that Sandor will not slay a dragon. A part of his arc has been about overcoming his fear of fire (eg: fighting Beric with a flaming sword). So I think it's thematically more relevant for him to side with Dany at some point (or at least whoever she has also sided with/not against her).

4 hours ago, Mat92 said:

When I read the title of this post, I interpreted it as:

"Will Sandor Slay Robert Strong? Or Will A Dragon Slay Robert Strong"

That's the trouble with trying to keep it brief.  It gets ambiguous.

Anyhow, I edited it to make it clearer.

4 hours ago, Mat92 said:

I ultimately think it would be much more satisfying to see Sandor kill him, however it should be noted that in a literary sense, both The Hound and the Mountain are "dead." So it will be interesting to see if this happens.\

I have you down as a "Yes".  But if you are not at least 51% in favor, let me know and I will change or remove.

Thanks for the votes.

I think he will kill his brother or whatever he has become. Sandor is going to leave the isle. No reason to show he is alive just to leave him there. 

I dont think he will slay a dragon. His arc needs him to conquer his fear if fire. He will do that by fighting the others. He will join team Dany. Fire is life as Mel says. 

Two times "no" from here and thanks for your poll again, dear @Platypus Rex.

My impression is that GRRM wants to explore the dog theme through other characters and give Sandor really a rest.

I can see the mountain getting himself killed by Wildfire or a dragon's flame, whereas his brother turns out supporting both Brotherhood without Banners and a Targaryen after some time, hence the rusty dragon's head from the Crossroad's Inn ashore the Quiet Isle. Something strange is up with those holy men, I feel.

21 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Yes.

Cersei has still a trial awaiting even though she does neither know or want it.

It will be a 1 vs 7 trial by combat. 1 representing the accused (Cersei) and 7 the prosecuter (the seven gods). The 7 champions will be represented by the faith millitant or other religous fighters.

Sandor as muscolous gravedigger would be a good choice for the stranger. He will not be excited at first but when he hears some rumors about Ser Robert he might come to the conclusion which would be a very good reason for him to fight.

21 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

No.

I'm subscribing the idea of Dany never coming to Westeros. Sandors plotline plays in Westeros; he has no real connection to Essos except Arya and he doesn't care that much for her.

My own prediction (before the show starts) is.

No, Sandor will not fight Gregor.  But "the Hound" might.  GRRM knows that readers expect the Hound to take on the Mountain, so when they see this happening, they will assume that Sandor is back in action.  However, Sandor is no longer "the Hound" and "the Hound" is no longer Sandor.  Someone else's head will be inside that Helm.

Yes on the second question.  Dragons are monsters and they not-infrequently require slaying.  The Hazzea incident foreshadows this truth.  And Sandor is the man for the job.

1. Yes.

Personally I'd prefer it to be a 'no', but I think there's enough in Bran's dream of the 3 shadows and some other bits and pieces to make me put both feet (just) over the line into the 'yes' camp.

2. No.

Never heard this theory and there's nothing I've seen in the text to really point in this direction.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:14 PM, Platypus Rex said:

This is a poll.  Please answer "Yes" or "No" to one or both of the following TWO questions:

1. Yes

2. No

Sandor will do whatever he's ordered to do.  I mean, really, did you watch all those seasons?  Dude is broken down and for good reason.  I still expect him to die by or on April 28.

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sandor will do whatever he's ordered to do.  I mean, really, did you watch all those seasons?  Dude is broken down and for good reason.  I still expect him to die by or on April 28.

Yes, but do you have a vote on the poll questions?

Also, the vote is about the books, not the show.  I did mention a preference for getting things on record before the show ends, but that's only because I want to see opinions before show developments influence them.

18 hours ago, DMC said:

Sandor will do whatever he's ordered to do. 

Gotta disagree. Sandor left Lannister during the Blackwater fight. The fire got to him.

He ain't takin' orders. Sandor declined to take vows and Lannister gave him the KG clock anyway.

He rode around Westeros for a while. Then got involved with Arya and entangled with Beric and his brotherhood.

Eventually Sandor ended up on the Quiet Isle. That is where he is as of end of DwD ---  Lame (injured leg), digging graves while his horse defies being neutered when Bree comes to visit.

17 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Also, the vote is about the books, not the show.  I did mention a preference for getting things on record before the show ends, but that's only because I want to see opinions before show developments influence them.

Good luck with that.  I have been struggling with the you know what influence for a few years.

No, no Cleganebowl. Sandor had the opportunity to kill his brother and declined to do so.

7 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Good luck with that.  I have been struggling with the you know what influence for a few years.

I'm not aiming for any impossible levels of HBO-free mental purity.  The idea is merely that if you guess correctly before next week's hypothetical HBO spoiler, you may have better bragging rights than if you guess correctly afterwards.   (So get your votes in, folks).  But of course only the books will ultimately determine if you were correct.

7 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

No, no Cleganebowl. Sandor had the opportunity to kill his brother and declined to do so.

Thank you.  Any position on the dragon?

15 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

1: We will have to wait until the next book. Baseless speculation is just that. 

2: We will have to wait until the next book. Baseless speculation is just that. 

I would interpret it as "No", since you label both predictions as "baseless", and baseless predictions are usually wrong.  But let me know if you'd rather I treat this as a non-answer.

Archived