Poll x2: Will Sandor Slay Robert Strong? ...or Slay A Dragon?

Platypus Rex

15 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

I would interpret it as "No", since you label both predictions as "baseless", and baseless predictions are usually wrong.  But let me know if you'd rather I treat this as a non-answer.

Since we cannot speak about ASOIAF in other media formats, All I can say is that as of now in the books, at best Sandor is seriously injured on an island where nobody speaks or at worst dead and buried.  Those two things do not lend themselves to killing much of anything, much less enormous reanimated  corpses or giant flying fire breathing reptiles 

17 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Since we cannot speak about ASOIAF in other media formats, All I can say is that as of now in the books, at best Sandor is seriously injured on an island where nobody speaks or at worst dead and buried.  Those two things do not lend themselves to killing much of anything, much less enormous reanimated  corpses or giant flying fire breathing reptiles 

Sounds like a "No" to me.  Again, let me know if you'd rather I treat it as a non-answer.

Nobody is being asked to consider "evidence" from the show.  Voters are free to allow it to influence their vote (if they wish), because no-one can stop that.   But of course such "evidence" can't be mentioned or discussed here (forum rules).

2 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Maybe to defend the weak?  

In comparison with dragon most creatures are weak. Who are the weak the dragon would attack and why Clegane would want to protect them? I assume a t first the dragons will be used against Lannisters, afterwards against the Others. Do you think Sandor will rejoin the Lannisters or become zombiefied?

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:39 AM, broken one said:

In comparison with dragon most creatures are weak. Who are the weak the dragon would attack and why Clegane would want to protect them? I assume a t first the dragons will be used against Lannisters, afterwards against the Others. Do you think Sandor will rejoin the Lannisters or become zombiefied?

I'm tempted to answer your questions, but that would feel like arguing, and that would feel like breaking my own rules.

But you did just help remind me of another theory-question I could poll …. Was Drogon framed for Hazzea?  That will probably be more popular than this one is.

So, so far:

(1) 8 for to 6 against for Slaying Robert Strong

(2) 0 for to 14 against for Slaying a Dragon.

Thanks for all votes, and please keep them coming, so we can get to page 3 & I can answer broken one's questions.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:14 PM, Platypus Rex said:

(1) Will Sandor Clegane Slay the Mystery Warrior Known as Robert Strong?

(2) Will Sandor Clegane Slay A Dragon?

(1)  No.  The Hound is either dead or found the way to peace.  

(2)  No.  The Hound has finally found peace or he's dead.  Killing one of the dragons would turn him into a villain.

1. Probably, but I doubt he will live through the encounter.

...blind Symeon Star-Eyes had seen the hellhounds fighting.

ASoS

This always sounded like Cleganebowl to me, but of course it doesn't actually say they would be fighting each other...

2. I don't see it

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:01 PM, DMC said:

Sandor will do whatever he's ordered to do.  I mean, really, did you watch all those seasons?  Dude is broken down and for good reason.  I still expect him to die by or on April 28.

Thanks.  But can you go 51% one way or the other on one (or both) Poll questions?  Which, BTW, are about the books, not the show.

On 4/20/2019 at 12:57 AM, Platypus Rex said:

Thanks for all votes, and please keep them coming, so we can get to page 3 & I can answer broken one's questions.

Poll x2: Will Sandor Slay Robert Strong? ...or Slay A Dragon?

What say I try to help get you get to page three. If a person wants to tag another one starts with @ no space and name as in @broken one

Sandor, the Hound/Dog appears to have been protector of Cersei and she gave him to Joff as a body guard. Sandor answers to Cersei.   Sandor did refuse to take vows and was given a KG cloak anyway.

A Game of Thrones - Sansa V     "How do you like that, dog?" King Joffrey asked.     The Hound's scarred face was hard to read. He took a long moment to consider. "Why not? I have no lands nor wife to forsake, and who'd care if I did?" The burned side of his mouth twisted. "But I warn you, I'll say no knight's vows."    "The Sworn Brothers of the Kingsguard have always been knights," Ser Boros said firmly.  "Until now," the Hound said in his deep rasp, and Ser Boros fell silent./

Let's take a look at Sandor coming to the defense of the Knight of Flowers, who cheated by bring a mare in heat to a tourney.

A Game of Thrones - Eddard VII    Ser Gregor swung his sword, a savage two-handed blow that took the boy in the chest and knocked him from the saddle. The courser dashed away in panic as Ser Loras lay stunned in the dirt. But as Gregor lifted his sword for the killing blow, a rasping voice warned, "Leave him be," and a steel-clad hand wrenched him away from the boy.    The Mountain pivoted in wordless fury, swinging his longsword in a killing arc with all his massive strength behind it, but the Hound caught the blow and turned it, and for what seemed an eternity the two brothers stood hammering at each other as a dazed Loras Tyrell was helped to safety. Thrice Ned saw Ser Gregor aim savage blows at the hound's-head helmet, yet not once did Sandor send a cut at his brother's unprotected face.     It was the king's voice that put an end to it … the king's voice and twenty swords. Jon Arryn had told them that a commander needs a good battlefield voice, and Robert had proved the truth of that on the Trident. He used that voice now. "STOP THIS MADNESS," he boomed, "IN THE NAME OF YOUR KING!"/

Sandor had the opportunity to kill Gregor. Self defense no kin slaying. Sandor refused to kill his brother.  Full stop.

Where to start on the slaying of a dragon????     Next post, maybe.

Edit: I am of course going with the flow and referring to Robert Strong as Gregor. Gregor who was poisoned by Oberyn during Tyrion's trial by combat.

Q1 - No.

Sandor may not be a POV character, but he is a dynamic character, one who changes throughout the story. He hit rock bottom when he begged Arya to kill him and she refused. He has begun to recover. He will never be truly at peace, but to continue his growth he must reject his vendetta against his brother. Gregor isn't worth a vendetta.

Q2 - No. (for the time being)

Sandor will die heroically, but he will likely be killed by ice, for the sake of irony. I will remain open-minded on this issue, though.

Still trying to move the thread to page three so @Platypus Rexwill reply to @broken one.

On 4/20/2019 at 12:57 AM, Platypus Rex said:

I continue my chatter about the Hound/Sandor/Dog/Clegane coming into contact with a dragon.

Sooooooooooooo, how does martin move Sandor from DwD to Wow or DoS?

How do you think martin moves Sandor from the Quiet Isle that allows Sandor to be in the vicinity of a dragon?

Me, personally, if Sandor came face to face with a fire breathing dragon he would say-- fuck that.

Plus, let us not forget all the SanSan shipping. that has taken place throughout the years.

And, Bree Bree and the Hound did not fight.

Also, Bree has had part of her face bitten off and was hung or that hanged by LSH until Bree while chocking says the word "Sword."

Sooooooooo, again I will ask when does Sandor come to be in the vicinity of a fire breathing dragon?

Got a semi now, as in semi serious --- Sandor and Stranger leave the Quiet Isle.

Sandor's Hound helm is in the possession of one of LSH's minions.

Hark, while partial face chewed off Bree --- minus her bandage is leading Jamie back to LSH --- the Hound stumbles upon them demanding to know where Sansa is.    Yeah, Sansa,!     Bree's task via Jaime is to find Sansa.    Bree has or had in her possession Jaime's sword Oathkeeper ---  which was made from Eddard's great sword Ice.

I love this frekking bullshyte that I am making up.

Back to Sandor killing a dragon mumbo jumbo --- why, when, where and how? 

18 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

The idea behind waiting for page 3 is to (hopefully) get one or two more votes in, before people start arguing.  But it's nice to know you're itching for debate.  

I can see your point. There is a positive and a negative when referencing arguing. Depends on ones motive for discussion.

contend, assert, declare, maintain, state, proclaim, advance, insist, hold, claim, aver, avow, reason, attest, expostulate, testify, swear, certify

OR

quarrel, disagree, row, squabble, bicker, fight, wrangle, dispute, feud, have a row, bandy words, have words, cross swords, lock horns, be at each other's throats

I'm merely curious as to when a person thinks Sandor is going to come into contact with a Targ (Targs have been refereed to as dragons) or when Sandor is going to come in to contact a fire breathing dragon.

I assume that sometime during WoW Dany is going gather her Dothraki horde, sellswords and Unsullied and set sail for Westeros.

I have not however been able to come up with a reasonable explanation how Dany manages to bring her two free range dragons to heel.

I mean Drogon may have saved Dany from the pit but Drogon does not kowtow to Danys wishes. Drogon seems fairly comfortable with Dany walking, puking and pooping out in the wilderness.

I know that Vic and his ragtag remnants of the Iron Fleet have arrived at their destination.

What or who is going to entice Sandor to leave the Quiet Isle? He doesn't need his helm because he is known by is scared face and body shape/size/stature.

Let's say Sandor gets a wild hair when/if he discovers someone is using his helm to impersonate him.    Keeping it simple, the Elder Brother allows Sandor and Stranger to use the ferry.

Where does Sandor go, the Riverlands or the Vale?  What reason would martin have to take Sandor off the Quiet Isle?

A Feast for Crows - Brienne VI   The man you hunt is dead."    That was another shock. "How did he die?"      "By the sword, as he had lived."      "You know this for a certainty?"     "I buried him myself. I can tell you where his grave lies, if you wish. I covered him with stones to keep the carrion eaters from digging up his flesh, and set his helm atop the cairn to mark his final resting place. That was a grievous error. Some other wayfarer found my marker and claimed it for himself. The man who raped and killed at Saltpans was not Sandor Clegane, though he may be as dangerous. The riverlands are full of such scavengers. I will not call them wolves. Wolves are nobler than that . . . and so are dogs, I think./

From my pov it would be in martin's best interest to leave Sandor where he is.  It is a fitting end to the character. Peace.

I guess it's time for me to answer some questions/objections.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:39 AM, broken one said:

In comparison with dragon most creatures are weak.

Sure.  That's why the dragon is the traditional adversary of a True Knight.  A True Knight defends the weak, and opposes the strong.  The iconic story representing this is Saint George defending the Damsel from the Dragon, to whom she was offered as a human sacrifice.

Notice that Drogon is already getting started on that old maiden-devouring schtick.  Poor little Hazzea did not stand a chance.  

Who are the weak the dragon would attack and why Clegane would want to protect them?

Human beings.  Smallfolk who will starve in the long winter if a dragon devours their cattle and burns their crops.  And it's not like we have not already seen Sandor working for the smallfolk, during the course of his redemption arc (if that's what it is).

GRRM might even go full traditional, and have him defend a maiden from a dragon.   Sandor seemed to have a soft spot in his heart for defending maidens, even before he became reconciled with the Faith of the Seven, which is the source of the ideal of the True Knight.

I assume a t first the dragons will be used against Lannisters, afterwards against the Others.

I don't really share these assumptions.  This is not, I think, going to be the story of Good Fire versus Evil Ice.   In the Long Winter, dragons have a potential to be as much a threat to human survival as ice zombies.

Do you think Sandor will rejoin the Lannisters or become zombiefied?

No.  I think he will rejoin the Faith of the Seven and become a True Knight.  Traditionally, Zombies and Lannisters don't defend maidens from dragons.   The True Knight does, though. 

Melisandre believes in human sacrifice, as did the townsfolk in the tale of Saint George.  A True Knight has other ideas.

Archived