The Wildfire plot succeeds, who's in charge of the Westerlands?

Eddard Waters

So Aerys successfully Burns king's Landing to the ground, Tywin, presumably his brothers, and the army he brought with him are nothing more than ash. 

Eddard Stark and his host arrive to see a city engulfed in greenflames.

So who's in charge of the Westerlands? Tyrion is legally the rightful lord of the Westerlands, but he's a dwarf and his sister will inevitably try to kill him. 

After Tyrion, Cersei is next in line, but she's a woman in a highly patriarchal society and isn't exactly a good leader to put it mildly. 

There's also a shitload of Lannister cousins who might make a play for Casterly Rock.

Honestly, I say "legally" Tyrion gets it. Genna would essentially rule the Rock though, at least until Tyrion comes of age. Cersei is probably still married off to Robert though, now with additional power that he's going to need a loan just to rebuild KL. 

I honestly just got on here to look for a thing talking about why all the Lannisters seem to be cool with the Baratheons inheriting Casterly Rock. I'm not saying it's right but Tywin should have 100% disinherited Cersei/made Kevan his heir at so many points during the books. 

16 minutes ago, CAllDSmith said:

Honestly, I say "legally" Tyrion gets it. Genna would essentially rule the Rock though, at least until Tyrion comes of age. Cersei is probably still married off to Robert though, now with additional power that he's going to need a loan just to rebuild KL. 

I honestly just got on here to look for a thing talking about why all the Lannisters seem to be cool with the Baratheons inheriting Casterly Rock. I'm not saying it's right but Tywin should have 100% disinherited Cersei/made Kevan his heir at so many points during the books. 

Tywin was always working towards his goal of getting Jaime out of the Kingsguard and continuing the Lannister line, including inheriting Casterly Rock.  Tywin openly plotted to send Cersei back to Casterly Rock, as Lady of the Rock, while he pursued a new marriage for her. Upon Tywin's death, Kevan informs Cersei that her place is as Lady of the Rock, although Kevan graciously (LOL) says he will not force marriage upon her.

Tywin put Lancel in Darry, and Gemma seems to think that Tywin would have made Lancel Lord of Riverrun if Kevan had asked.

Tywin intends to stack as many lands and lordships with Lannisters, trueborn, and that includes Casterly Rock.

That said, in response to the OP, I think it becomes a race to rule through Tyrion. There's a huge power void in Tywin's absence.

The theoretical burning of King's Landing took place in 283 AC. Tyrion was only 6.  Ser Tygett Lannister was a bit of a badass, and he died in 285 AC, although he was likely with Tywin and Kevan during the Sack, which would be his place. Tyrion's favorite uncle Gerion did not make his fool's quest to Valyria until 291 AC, and would have likely ruled as Tyrion's regent, which would have been an interesting time for the Westerlands.

10 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

Tywin intends to stack as many lands and lordships with Lannisters, trueborn, and that includes Casterly Rock.

Except he pisses away the Rock the second Jaime says that he isn't leaving the KG. (One of the reasons I put down for Tywin supporting Tyrion going on trial is that way he can actually disinherit Tyrion.) No matter what, the moment Cersei dies Casterly Rock stops being Lannister turf and becomes Baratheon. It's enough to make one think he actually knows that Tommen isn't a Baratheon. 

10 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Besides Kevan we don't know who else went with Tywin to Kings Landing. Where Tygett and Gerion there? If not then they along with Genna would probably be regent for Tyrion until he came of age. 

Right, that's what I was thinking. Tygett at the least probably was along considering his reputation as a soldier. I'm guessing he left at least one brother behind as Castellan tho - probably Kevan. Tyrion would have been a boy of ten and Kevan would have ruled in his place as regent.

We know that Tyrion was restless in his youth and that Tywin kept his adventurous spirit in check. Would Kevan or whoever was regent have bothered to keep Tyrion from joining his Uncle Gerion on his adventure to Valyria, for example? I doubt it. I don't think Tyrion ever rules Casterly Rock in this scenario.

1 hour ago, Syl of Syl said:

Right, that's what I was thinking. Tygett at the least probably was along considering his reputation as a soldier. I'm guessing he left at least one brother behind as Castellan tho - probably Kevan. Tyrion would have been a boy of ten and Kevan would have ruled in his place as regent.

We know that Tyrion was restless in his youth and that Tywin kept his adventurous spirit in check. Would Kevan or whoever was regent have bothered to keep Tyrion from joining his Uncle Gerion on his adventure to Valyria, for example? I doubt it. I don't think Tyrion ever rules Casterly Rock in this scenario.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Kevan was there. I personally always thought Gerion was the one who stayed back. Either way, the Tywin sibling that survives is de facto in charge of the Rock. I would say that Gerion would not feel the need to go try and find Brightroar because the shadow of Tywin would not be compelling him. Tygett also probably wouldn't have died young from the pox that killed him, many of his own mentioned character vices were driven from trying to get out of Tywin's shadow and he didn't have a pox at this point based on Tyrek's age. Also based on Tyrion's comments on his uncles I don't think any of them actually would have tried to get Tyrion killed. Especially since there's enough dead westermen in this scenario that whichever Lannisters survived could make pretty good claims to a lot of land. Kevan has a claim as Knight of Cornfield if Steffon and Harys Swift were part of the host, Same for Tygett if Damon and Addam Marbrand were there and he wasn't. Gerion could have at least taken Clegane Tower.

18 hours ago, LindsayLohan said:

That said, in response to the OP, I think it becomes a race to rule through Tyrion. There's a huge power void in Tywin's absence.

The theoretical burning of King's Landing took place in 283 AC. Tyrion was only 6.  Ser Tygett Lannister was a bit of a badass, and he died in 285 AC, although he was likely with Tywin and Kevan during the Sack, which would be his place. Tyrion's favorite uncle Gerion did not make his fool's quest to Valyria until 291 AC, and would have likely ruled as Tyrion's regent, which would have been an interesting time for the Westerlands.

Tyrion was 10 in 283 AC when the Sack occurred, he was born in 273 AC.

19 hours ago, CAllDSmith said:

Tywin's obsessed with the direct line, that is to say his line ruling. That's why he's pressing for Jaime to leave the Kingsguard and never thinks to pass it along to Cersei because she's a woman, while Tyrion is... well, Tyrion.

On 4/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Tywin's obsessed with the direct line, that is to say his line ruling. That's why he's pressing for Jaime to leave the Kingsguard and never thinks to pass it along to Cersei because she's a woman, while Tyrion is... well, Tyrion.

That's my point his line doesn't rule if Cersei inherits Robert's does. Or if we're talking the short period of time that is 281-283 Aerys's line if he manages to somehow get Rhaegar or Viserys to marry Cersei once Elia and Aerys are dead. (His presumed plan before the Rebellion.) It's the same issue with what would have happened if Arianne Martell and Edmure Tully/ Willas Tyrell/Any of the elderly lords Doran offered her married. Does House Martell inherit Riverrun/Highgarden or does House Martell always have to marry down when the heir is a Princess (ex. Rogare) lest they lose control of Dorne?

On 4/13/2019 at 3:40 PM, LindsayLohan said:

Tywin and Kevan were in KL, so they would be very dead. Tyg was a fighter of considerable merit, so I'd assume he was with the Westerlands army. Gerion participated in tourneys, but we don't know if he was a knight. He might well have stayed behind as castellan / regent like Benjen did for Ned.

I'd imagine that the regency would go these people in order (depending on who's alive): Gerion, Genna, Stafford (if he wasn't with Tywin), Damon. Honestly Daven and Tyrion are the same age, so it wouldn't surprise me if Stafford had stayed behind. He's not particularly impressive and Tywin doesn't exactly like the Lannisters who don't do the family proud. Either way, I'd imagine that Genna would be the one actually pulling the strings. She's Tyrion's closest relative and lives at the Rock.

Definitely Tyrion. Tywin might have hated Tyrion but there was no implication that he had formally disinherited him until the crown did that after Tyrion (allegedly) murdered Joffrey and (actually) murdered Tywin.

And I don't think there'd be an obstacle if Cersei were to kill Tyrion and get away with it. She actually does become Lady of Casterly Rock after Tywin dies, and Casterly Rock has had female infants as rulers before. 

Archived