[Spoilers] E801 Discussion

Ran

Mostly enjoyable. Loved the Stark reunions but would have liked a Mormont meeting too.

I hate that riding dragons was not linked to Targ blood  in Dany’s mind. It should have made her suspicious that Jon could do it. Plus, that romantic ride when they are at war was strange but I appreciated the callback to Ygritte and the cave.

Was that shape around the Umber boy the same as the shape of the bodies from the very first scene in the series?  

Liked that they dealt with Yara immediately.

I really liked that in spite of everything Sam cared for his father and brother.

added: I call BS on Cersei hiring Bronn to kill Jaime and Tyrion. She knows that they are friends. Qyburn is double crossing her

Edited by nara

1 minute ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

Anyone else notice the call back to the first episode?

Yep, the little boy was a stand-in for Arya. She even smirks in memory. They also played a similar version of the royal sounding Baratheon music

The new opening credits were gorgeous. I will have to go back and do some serious pausing to take them all in. 

A lot of the official trailer came from this episode, Jon, Dany and the dragons in particular. The dragons themselves looked a bit different as well. They seemed to have more color which I applaud. I've always disliked the dingy colors they and frankly the series as a whole have had. Rhaegal in particular looked better. 

While this was a set-up episode, a lot still happened. Tensions are being rightfully built. While I disagree with  the Stark girls attitude toward Jon and Dany (a large zombie army approaching isn't the time to play game of thrones) I do understand their issues. 

1 minute ago, nara said:

Was that shape around the Umber boy the same as the shape of the bodies from the very first scene in the series?  

Yes it was.

I have to admit that I enjoyed the Arya/Gendry/Hound reunion slmost as much as the Jon/Arya one.

I think Sansa will be a good force against Dany. Dany needs to understand everyone doesn't just owe her alleigiance.

Just now, Pandean said:

Cersei and Euron's dynamic together was actually really enjoyable. I was expecting to cringe at Euron like I had before but no, I actually thought the two of them played off each other well.

I still can't warm to show Euron at all :lol:

1 minute ago, Juligen said:

Did Daenerys really threatened Sansa in front of Jon Snow ? not only once but twice??

And told Jon that Sansa needs to start treating her as a queen???

I was bafled, she really is going crazy isnt? I thought it would take more episodes but she is going crazy in the first epsiode.

I think Dany isn't used to having people who are critical of her or don't immediately follow or believe in her. She's used to being Mhysa, a messiah-like figure, etc. So it makes sense she'd probably overreact to Sansa not immediately warming up to her.

Just now, Clan Lindsay said:

I still can't warm to show Euron at all :lol:

Show!Euron sucks, especially just by himself, especially compared to Book!Euron but idk something about his interaction with Cersei made me smile. 

It looks to me like they're already setting up Daenerys' death, especially when you factor in how morbid Emilia sounded about the final season in interviews. Having her threaten Sansa in front of Jon, and then having Arya tell him that she's on Sansa's side and that Jon needs to "remember who his family is" really seemed like foreshadowing. And then there was Sam.

I'm guessing Bran is going to defend Jaime in the next episode, and that's why he looks so surprised in the preview. Jaime has a role to play and Bran knows that. (I also loved his look of shock when he saw Bran at the end of the episode).

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

Not gonna lie, the six or so seconds of silence between Jaime and Bran alone made this entire episode worth watching to me. Those were six or so seconds of wordless excellence. A great call back to S1E1.

Edited by Jamie Lannister

1 minute ago, jobmartell said:

What's the end goal for Bran and Jaimie? Too short a season for each and every interaction not to have some type of meaning for the end. 

I think Bran represents Jaime's ultimate redemption. It was his first major sin on the show. Bran also seems to have some kind of plan for Jaime.