[Spoilers] E801 Discussion

Ran

1 minute ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It looks to me like they're already setting up Daenerys' death, especially when you factor in how morbid Emilia sounded about the final season in interviews. Having her threaten Sansa in front of Jon, and then having Arya tell him that she's on Sansa's side and that Jon needs to "remember who his family is" really seemed like foreshadowing. And then there was Sam.

I'm guessing Bran is going to defend Jaime in the next episode, and that's why he looks so surprised in the preview. Jaime has a roll to play and Bran knows that. (I also loved his look of shock when he saw Bran at the end of the episode).

Which is primarily a Targ!  I agree there is definitely foreshadowing there.

3 minutes ago, King of the Wall said:

I think Bran represents Jaime's ultimate redemption. It was his first major sin on the show. Bran also seems to have some kind of plan for Jaime. 

I would say second sin, we see him banging out his sister first. Then " what I do for love". 

14 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

So is Harry actually fAegon?

I've suspected that but there was not a single hint. Not that I was expecting a dragon tattoo on his ass but I thought there could be some kind of foreshadowing. A throwaway conversation about the last time The Golden Company came westward during the War of the Ninepenny Kings or something about Ser Barristan killing Maelys the Monstrous. Maybe next week or maybe never.

I think Bran is actually in a way going to be grateful to Jaime since it was his action that made him the three eyed raven.

By grateful I don't mean like thankful or sentimentally wise or anything

more like I can imagine Jaime trying to speak to Bran and Bran saying "Thank you" in that monotone voice of his and it being uncomfortable for everyone involved

The last scene, the way that Jaime looks around being back at Winterfell, taking off his hood was definitely a reference to him arriving there at season 1. But the look on his face when he gazes Bran? Chilling.

Another moment that was really powerful was when Sam told Bran that he is Jon's brother and he should be the one to tell him but Bran replies that they are not really brothers. It does seem as if Bran is very cold and distant. Also his reunion with Jon seemed too short. Really looking forward to see his interactions in the next episode. Plus Brienne will be with Jaime again.

I also agree that the revelation of Jon's parentage was anticlimactic. I mean he was raised as a bastard Stark, had no idea who his mother was, he is in love with Daenerys and all of a sudddn he is told that Lyanna is his mom and Rhaegar his dad? I understand that in the show they don't have much time to further explain things but it seemed too fast.Honestly I cared more abiut the impact of the revelation that Dany killed the Tarly than Jon finally learning who he is. 

I did laugh the moment when Bronn was given the crossbow. Hope he makes it alive in the end.

Is it me or in the books dragonriding for the first time is not so easy? 

Favourite moments: Bran and Jaime reunion, Dany telling Sam that she killed his dad and brother.

Least favourite moment: Jon finds out who he really is.

Huge let down. Nice reencounters, but other than that nothing really happened.

Jon riding the dragon was terrible, Euron and Cersei was terrible, Yara being rescued made no sense. Neither did Sam's reaction over his father and brother being dead. The dialogues between Jon and Dany felt like a scene from Riverdale.

The R+L=J revelation felt rushed and could've been done way better imo.

I'm really disappointed.

Good start to the final season.  I figured there would need to be some place-setting before things get crazy from here on out.

Just curious (and I hope it's ok to ask this) to those of you who followed all the leaks/spoilers/etc over the past 2 years...after having seen the premiere, were any of the leaked scripts correct?  I remember reading some of the desinerd ones a couple of summers ago and they were pretty depressing.

1 hour ago, direwoofwoof said:

Loved the ending with Bran waiting for an old friend! That was great!

The moment he said old friend, I knew he was referring to Jaime although he kinda reminded me of a similar quote from Silence of the Lambs. I think that this is the only episode where Jaime has no lines.

Bran is basically me. Kind of over it all, yet still invested. Telling everyone all the things, with no pomp or circumstance, because can we just do this, people?

New favorite.

StarkS *plural* for the throne. Jon keeps it warm. Sansa and Arya make all the decisions. Bran stares pensively at a dust particle and tells them that they're absolutely right.

3 minutes ago, Danelle said:

I also agree that the revelation of Jon's parentage was anticlimactic. I mean he was raised as a bastard Stark, had no idea who his mother was, he is in love with Daenerys and all of a sudddn he is told that Lyanna is his mom and Rhaegar his dad? I understand that in the show they don't have much time to further explain things but it seemed too fast.Honestly I cared more abiut the impact of the revelation that Dany killed the Tarly than Jon finally learning who he is. 

Yeah, it was so poorly done. They could've cut the 'how to train your dragon' moment a bit and worked on this part a little more.

The Northerners coldness toward Dany is really bothering me. Davos says their loyalty must be earned but what does he think she’s doing? She went there to help them and is quite literally providing them with everything she has: the might of her armies and her dragons. Speaking of which, those dragons are priceless and she lost one of them helping Jon. She didn’t turn her back on him tho. Once she knew what was at stake she still offered to help. Did everyone forget that she would have helped even if Jon hadn’t bent the knee? He did it because he wanted to! All the northern lords are doing is sitting on their bums airing out their petty grievances while death is literally on their doorstep and they don’t stand a chance without Dany. Even with all her help it might not be enough. It’s like they don’t take the threat seriously and it makes them look like fools. I don’t blame Dany for being upset at how they treat her when she’s there to help the petty lot of them.

8 minutes ago, Danelle said:

Another moment that was really powerful was when Sam told Bran that he is Jon's brother and he should be the one to tell him but Bran replies that they are not really brothers. It does seem as if Bran is very cold and distant.

I thought that too while watching, but technically they are cousins, not brothers. So he probably just meant that and not necessarily "I'm a tree now, trees don't have humans as brothers".

7 minutes ago, Gemma said:

The Northerners coldness toward Dany is really bothering me. Davos says their loyalty must be earned but what does he think she’s doing? She went there to help them and is quite literally providing them with everything she has: the might of her armies and her dragons. Speaking of which, those dragons are priceless and she lost one of them helping Jon. She didn’t turn her back on him tho. Once she knew what was at stake she still offered to help. Did everyone forget that she would have helped even if Jon hadn’t bent the knee? He did it because he wanted to! All the northern lords are doing is sitting on their bums airing out their petty grievances while death is literally on their doorstep and they don’t stand a chance without Dany. Even with all her help it might not be enough. It’s like they don’t take the threat seriously and it makes them look like fools. I don’t blame Dany for being upset at how they treat her when she’s there to help the petty lot of them.

Nailed it. 

15 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I've suspected that but there was not a single hint. Not that I was expecting a dragon tattoo on his ass but I thought there could be some kind of foreshadowing. A throwaway conversation about the last time The Golden Company came westward during the War of the Ninepenny Kings or something about Ser Barristan killing Maelys the Monstrous. Maybe next week or maybe never.

Can we discuss book spoilers here?  If so, given what George said about the books and the show having very similar endings, my guess is that the Aegon storyline in the books is going nowhere.  I feel that if George had stuck to the 7 main characters, and not expanded the universe to the point where he's actually writing history, the books would have been finished by now.  Oh well..