[Spoilers] E801 Discussion

Ran

To me the ep was pretty underwhelming and slow for only 6 episodes left to wrap up a massive sprawling story. Some awesome plot developments, but the big ones like Jon learning his lineage felt rushed when compared to scenes like, well, everything in Kings Landing. The dragon riding was extremely awkward too; shouldn't that have been more impactful than a romp to a secret location to bang and be stared at judgingly by your pets? And is anyone else getting the sense of pointless drama in Winterfell coming?

I dunno, it wasn't a horrible episode, just.. it didn't feel like it was working towards the end game.

Bran said in the episode what I was thinking about the episode. Get to the point, no time for this wasteful filler stuff.

"The rightful heir" When Ned changed Robert's will in Season 1, I thought it was for Stannis or maybe Gendry. Do you think it was for Jon? Had Ned lived and gotten back to Winterfell or the wall before Jon took his vows, he would have been the heir and could have claimed the throne, or tried to. (Y'all probably thought of this ages ago but it just came to me tonight.)

1 hour ago, direwoofwoof said:

Yes! That was a major theme in the Fire and Blood book. It took many years for rider AND dragon to get comfortable riding together and they grew up together (dragon egg was placed in child's crib). A few people died hopping on adult dragons for first time.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

And it was established that you needed dragon blood, so Dany, for all she knew, was risking Jon's life. And saddles and chains for the rider.

But does Dany know? I think that the only person who knows about dragonlore is Tyrion. 

1 hour ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Given how Sam questioned whether Dany should be the Queen because she executes people, I think it will be Dany that will forgive Jaime once he delivers the news about the Lannister army not coming to the North.

Those two are my favourite characters and I am really invested in their storyline. Perhaps Dany will forgive Jaime for now but I do wonder if the Tarly situation was a prelude to the Lannister controversy. Dany is grateful that Sam saved Jorah but she told him without showing remorse that she killed his family. Now she has to tell Tyrion what she really thinks of his beloved brother, the Kingslayer. After all Jaime brings nothing to them. He is but a cripple. 

1 hour ago, nara said:

NCW doesn’t need lines! IMO, he’s great at conveying emotion without words. But I think you’re right about this being the only episode.

He is so talented!

5 minutes ago, direwoofwoof said:

"The rightful heir" When Ned changed Robert's will in Season 1, I thought it was for Stannis or maybe Gendry. Do you think it was for Jon? Had Ned lived and gotten back to Winterfell or the wall before Jon took his vows, he would have been the heir and could have claimed the throne, or tried to. (Y'all probably thought of this ages ago but it just came to me tonight.)

No, i don't think ned would ever wanted Jon to claim the throne or be a targaryen, he was not as hostile to Rhaegar as was Robert, but i don't think he fancied the targaryens, thats why he let him go to the nights watch, he wanted jon to be a northman, the son of his sister.

Ned pretty much confirmed that stannis was the rightful heir to Varys, if not he, maybe even one of his bastards, maybe edric, but jon? never

Edited by BlueNightzx

2 minutes ago, direwoofwoof said:

No, I don't think so.  Jon isn't Robert's heir, plus he was a man of the Night's Watch, which means he had given up any rights he might had to the Iron Throne.

15 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Given how Sam questioned whether Dany should be the Queen because she executes people, I think it will be Dany that will forgive Jaime once he delivers the news about the Lannister army not coming to the North.

have you seen the preview for the next ep? no she wont.

I don't think so, I think the reason Ned said "the next I see you we'll talk about your mother" is so that Jon would have taken his Night's Watch vows and subsequently not allowed to try to claim the throne (honor would have demanded he keep his NW vows).

Trying to seat Jon on the throne would have meant another rebellion to undo the rebellion that he and Robert led.

In the books he wanted to declare for Stannis and send a letter by raven to him IIRC. He wanted to protect Jon, but he didn't want to make him king. And that imo was what the fight with the kg at ToJ was about... that the fight happened after he found Lyanna and her son, that the KG wanted to make him king, but Ned didn't.

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

In the books he wanted to declare for Stannis and send a letter by raven to him IIRC. He wanted to protect Jon, but he didn't want to make him king. And that imo was what the fight with the kg at ToJ was about... that the fight happened after he found Lyanna and her son, that the KG wanted to make him king, but Ned didn't.

I never heard this theory before. Has it been discussed in other places before?

1 hour ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

He was right.  Also, Sam is Jon's real brother.

Is he still? I thought that Jon was no longer affiliated with the Night's Watch. Family bonds in Got can get confusing.

Just now, Danelle said:

Is he still? I thought that Jon was no longer affiliated with the Night's Watch. Family bonds in Got can get confusing.

The Night's Watch pretty much doesn't exist any more to begin with now that the Wall has fallen.

There were only a few dozen of them left before that. 

4 minutes ago, Danelle said:

but I do wonder if the Tarly situation was a prelude to the Lannister controversy

I hated the Tarly burning scene in S7, but imo it was the set-up for Dany "mad queen" perception. The maesters at the Citadel hadn't told Sam about it in S7, and now we know why... d&d were keeping that info for Dany to reveal to Sam, and since it was son and father, that was used by Sam to question her when he talked to Jon: she did the same thing that her father did... roasted a father and son.