[Spoilers] E801 Discussion

Ran

Just now, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Oh.  I see.  That's very interesting.  That's not what we saw on the show of course.  It would have been a great twist though.

The show played the dream sequence out as if it was the literal truth, yup. We can toss that aside, since George reminds readers it's a dream, not an actual account of the events that took place.

9 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

By the way, is there a link to any discussions on the importance of the Winter Sun?  I admit I haven't heard any such theories before.

Well, it's white and black like the Stark and Targaryen background sigil colors. There's always the possible sun/son wordplay as well.

11 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Up to a point yes, but all the other Lyanna allusions in aGoT, including the one at the tourney, are about Ned starting to doubt whether Robert was the king to back or not, and often always versus Lyanna. It's there with the Knight of Flowers (wearing blue flowers) and the "black" horny stallion that Clegane rides at the tourney. It's there when he remembers Lyanna's words about Robert. So, Ned's mind is mostly working overtime on whether he made the right choice to believe in Robert. The sole alternative at the ToJ was Jon, whom the KG backed.

What is the link to this particular analysis? I've written a bit about the parallels between the TotH and HH. It really jumps out at you eventually. Why is the Knight of Flowers wearing blue when his house colors are green and gold? Doesn't that make him a knight of blue flowers?

Twining black vine and tiny blue forget-me-nots.

The rose petals fell from her hands, dead and black.

1 minute ago, J. Stargaryen said:

Well, it's white and black like the Stark and Targaryen background sigil colors. There's always the possible sun/son wordplay as well.

What is the link to this particular analysis? I've written a bit about the parallels between the TotH and HH. It really jumps out at you eventually. Why is the Knight of Flowers wearing blue when his house colors are green and gold? Doesn't that make him a knight of blue flowers?

Twining black vine and tiny blue forget-me-nots.

The rose petals fell from her hands, dead and black.

https://sweeticeandfiresunray.com/2015/10/30/the-cursed-souls-of-eddard-and-robert/

KoF and his "mare" wear blue-forget-me-nots. More on the tourney scene during Ned's POV in this essay: Ned Stark's wrong bet

So as i expected episode 1 is Party Chat: the Episode.  Which was to be expected, so many important reunions to go through,  and I thought they were all pretty well done.  The tension between Sansa and Daenerys was well handled, but the scene between Daenerys and Sam was not something I expected (at least not in the way it happened).  So that was definitely a highlight of the episode for me, though they were quite a few of those to be honest.

Bran is just pure awesome with his creepy stare.  He is like the slenderman of Winterfell, just teleporting around to unnerve people (okay maybe he isn't really teleporting around but I don't think I actually saw him move at all).  I'm really hoping that he gets some good moments with Jaime and Theon in the coming episodes.

Sansa was also in top form in this episode.  Her laying down the truth on Tyrion was great, he really isn't as clever as he thinks he is.

I also loved that Theon already saved Yara and showed her how its done.  Sure she didn't make quite as big of a nuisance of herself, but we didn't see him decide at the end that she wasn't worth it and leave her in disgust.

While I haven't liked Arya for a while now, this episode helped reverse that a bit.  I'm actually starting to believe that she truly cares about her family now and isn't just creepy assassin girl that she came across as for the past few seasons.

For an episode without much action there is quite a lot to think over, luckily there is a week until the next one (or unluckily since I don't know if I can wait that long).  I thought this was a pretty strong start to the season so here's hoping that it stays this good.  Though I do love good character drama and so an episode focused on character interactions was bound to be received favorably from me.

Regarding the Tarlys what was Dany supposed to do? She offered them the chance to bend the knee and they refused. Tyrion offered an alternative (taking the Black) but Randyll was too proud to accept. She wasn’t even going to execute Dickon but he stepped forward and chose to die with his father. Even if she had burned the father and left the son he would have wanted revenge. It’s not a clear cut situation but I don’t see how it makes her a mad queen. She offered them an out and they didn’t take it. Her father never would have given them a choice.

14 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Does anyone know what this is by the way?

http://i65.tinypic.com/20j36vq.png

Left pretty clearly looks like a lion with a trout in its mouth.  Middle appears to be a direwolf being hanged with arrows and at least one dagger in it (possible reference to Jon's death?).  Right is less clear...a white walker holding a severed head?  Maybe a reference to the first scene in the series.  

4 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Regarding the Tarlys what was Dany supposed to do? 

Smartest thing would have been to take them prisoner and revisit things after the war.  Or take Sam's dad prisoner to force Dickon's loyalty.  Or execute Randyll only.  

Pretty much anything other than burning them both alive would have been great.  

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

Left pretty clearly looks like a lion with a trout in its mouth.  Middle appears to be a direwolf being hanged with arrows and at least one dagger in it (possible reference to Jon's death?).  Right is less clear...a white walker holding a severed head?  Maybe a reference to the first scene in the series.  

If that lion has a trout in its mouth I'm guessing it's referencing the Red Wedding. At least in the show we know they cut off Robb's head.

ETA: That's definitely the Twins around the middle image.

Edited by J. Stargaryen

23 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I think it's meant to show what happened at the Red Wedding. You can see the Stark direwolf hanging from The Twins covered in arrows with dead fish (House Tully) below it with the Lannister lion holding a paw in its mouth and what appeared to be House Bolton's Flayed Man holding a dead direwolf head.

Edited by Tara Cicora

6 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Regarding the Tarlys what was Dany supposed to do? She offered them the chance to bend the knee and they refused. Tyrion offered an alternative (taking the Black) but Randyll was too proud to accept. She wasn’t even going to execute Dickon but he stepped forward and chose to die with his father. Even if she had burned the father and left the son he would have wanted revenge. It’s not a clear cut situation but I don’t see how it makes her a mad queen. She offered them an out and they didn’t take it. Her father never would have given them a choice.

Take them prisoner and decide what to do later. Hell they are Lords, excellent bargaining chips right there. But Dany lacks intelligence and equates being a prisoner with being a slave and she won't put people back in shackles. Why does anyone support this character to become Queen? Someone who doesn't even understand such simple things and how they differ. Oh right, the same person who crucified people without establishing that the people she crucified are guilty. Who doesn't understand the first thing about fair trial or establishing a law under which a set rule is to be followed and if violated there is an established punishment. She prefers to treat people differently and makes punishments up on a whim. And anyone who inconveniences her gets taken out. Sansa better watch out because there was a clear threat to her life made by Dany, as usual the threat of dragons.

1 hour ago, BlueNightzx said:

With Tyrion, Brienne and Varys there i find very hard to see them killing jaime without a major fallout of the whole political situation that could end any chance of an unified front against the WWs.

If Dany executes jaime for killing her father (the mad king) after her fallout with Sam, she will become the Mad Quen at the spot, no chance to be accepted by anyone on the seven kingdoms.

if Sansa executes him for crippling Bran, Tyrion will force a conflict between Dany and her

if Arya kills him, well, arya survived a twisting knife wound in the guts after swimming on a sewer, maybe she can pull it off.

Nobody is killing Jamie, he is seen fighting against the wights in the season 8 trailer. 

41 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

That's a fricking hanging direwolf pierced with arrows/crossbow bolts! And a lion with a fish in its mouth! NOTE: Hanging from The Twin Towers. 

The RED WEDDING. (And foreshadowing?)*

*Book verse: definitely foreshadowing! The three-eyed crow's feast of the dead. Show verse: ???

Edited by TheSeason