[Spoilers] E801 Discussion

Ran

15 minutes ago, Danelle said:

Is it me or in the books dragonriding for the first time is not so easy? 

Yes! That was a major theme in the Fire and Blood book. It took many years for rider AND dragon to get comfortable riding together and they grew up together (dragon egg was placed in child's crib). A few people died hopping on adult dragons for first time.

19 minutes ago, Danelle said:

The last scene, the way that Jaime looks around being back at Winterfell, taking off his hood was definitely a reference to him arriving there at season 1. But the look on his face when he gazes Bran? Chilling.

I feel that Jaime had completely forgotten what he had done to Bran and was horrified when he saw him.

1 minute ago, direwoofwoof said:

Yes! That was a major theme in the Fire and Blood book. It took many years for rider AND dragon to get comfortable riding together and they grew up together (dragon egg was placed in child's crib). A few people died hopping on adult dragons for first time.

Well they even had the Hound and Tormund ride Drogon last season.  Wasn't that even more ridiculous?

1 minute ago, direwoofwoof said:

And it was established that you needed dragon blood, so Dany, for all she knew, was risking Jon's life. And saddles and chains for the rider.

18 minutes ago, Skills said:

Good start to the final season.  I figured there would need to be some place-setting before things get crazy from here on out.

Just curious (and I hope it's ok to ask this) to those of you who followed all the leaks/spoilers/etc over the past 2 years...after having seen the premiere, were any of the leaked scripts correct?  I remember reading some of the desinerd ones a couple of summers ago and they were pretty depressing.

Episode 1 was completely spoiled a few weeks ago, but nothing else has leaked, with the exception of one big scene that takes place in episode 6 and reveals which characters survived.

38 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It looks to me like they're already setting up Daenerys' death, especially when you factor in how morbid Emilia sounded about the final season in interviews. Having her threaten Sansa in front of Jon, and then having Arya tell him that she's on Sansa's side and that Jon needs to "remember who his family is" really seemed like foreshadowing. And then there was Sam.

I'm guessing Bran is going to defend Jaime in the next episode, and that's why he looks so surprised in the preview. Jaime has a roll to play and Bran knows that. (I also loved his look of shock when he saw Bran at the end of the episode).

Given how Sam questioned whether Dany should be the Queen because she executes people, I think it will be Dany that will forgive Jaime once he delivers the news about the Lannister army not coming to the North.

1 minute ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Given how Sam questioned whether Dany should be the Queen because she executes people, I think it will be Dany that will forgive Jaime once he delivers the news about the Lannister army not coming to the North.

Her dialogue about how Jaime murdered her father seems destined to end with, "But my father deserved it."

Also, would it kill them to use some better lighting? I can't see anything.

I thought Sophie's acting showed a lot of improvement this episode (as did Kit's and Maisie's). She seems to have gotten the hang of Sansa's "soft but stoic" approach.

1 hour ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Can we discuss book spoilers here?  If so, given what George said about the books and the show having very similar endings, my guess is that the Aegon storyline in the books is going nowhere.  

To be honest, in regards to Faegon, since he was introduced so late in the books I always thought that he was a distraction or a reason for Dany to be propted to return and abandon Meereen. On the other hand Faegon is linked to Varys so it would be interesting to see what happens next. After all Varys is still part of the plot. I wonder how he will react to Jon's real paternity.

1 hour ago, Fire is coming said:

I thought that too while watching, but technically they are cousins, not brothers. So he probably just meant that and not necessarily "I'm a tree now, trees don't have humans as brothers".

Oh I agree. Although it wasn't what he said but how he said it. He had a similar look on his face when he told Lf that chaos is a ladder.

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

The Northerners coldness toward Dany is really bothering me. Davos says their loyalty must be earned but what does he think she’s doing? She went there to help them and is quite literally providing them with everything she has: the might of her armies and her dragons. Speaking of which, those dragons are priceless and she lost one of them helping Jon. She didn’t turn her back on him tho. Once she knew what was at stake she still offered to help. Did everyone forget that she would have helped even if Jon hadn’t bent the knee? He did it because he wanted to! All the northern lords are doing is sitting on their bums airing out their petty grievances while death is literally on their doorstep and they don’t stand a chance without Dany. Even with all her help it might not be enough. It’s like they don’t take the threat seriously and it makes them look like fools. I don’t blame Dany for being upset at how they treat her when she’s there to help the petty lot of them.

Well as a huge Dany fan, I agree that Dany has shown that she is eager to help. On the other hand though they are probably scared and the memory of the Mad King is not an asset for Dany. I do wonder if in the followig episodes Jon will be compared to Rhaegar and Dany to Aerys.

Also looking forward to the reunion of my two favourite characters, Jaime and Dany. Gotta love Jaime joining the side of thewoman whose father he killed and of the boy he crippled.

1 hour ago, Nymeria Stone said:

Yeah, it was so poorly done. They could've cut the 'how to train your dragon' moment a bit and worked on this part a little more.

Perhaps they did it because Jon riding a dragon could be further proof of him being a Targaryen. Dany accidentally showed the world that Jon is a Targ.

1 hour ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I feel that Jaime had completely forgotten what he had done to Bran and was horrified when he saw him.

Wonder if the first thing that Bran tells Jaime is the things I do for love.

Edited by Danelle

13 minutes ago, Gemma said:

The Northerners coldness toward Dany is really bothering me. Davos says their loyalty must be earned but what does he think she’s doing? She went there to help them and is quite literally providing them with everything she has: the might of her armies and her dragons. Speaking of which, those dragons are priceless and she lost one of them helping Jon. She didn’t turn her back on him tho. Once she knew what was at stake she still offered to help. Did everyone forget that she would have helped even if Jon hadn’t bent the knee? He did it because he wanted to! All the northern lords are doing is sitting on their bums airing out their petty grievances while death is literally on their doorstep and they don’t stand a chance without Dany. Even with all her help it might not be enough. It’s like they don’t take the threat seriously and it makes them look like fools. I don’t blame Dany for being upset at how they treat her when she’s there to help the petty lot of them.

The northern lords don't know about Dany's eagerness to help.

I believe you're right about the lords not taking the threat seriously. Most of them didn't see the others, they followed Jon against the Boltons, they were annoyed with the Boltons. Most, like Glover, are still playing the Game of Thrones.

But this poses a chance for Dany. She still has to show the Westerosi lords she's worthy. To most she might still look like the arrogant and temperamental previous  Targaryens (the Tarly deaths doesn't help on that regard).

If Dany can conquer Sansa's and  the others lords respect without threats and meaningless complaints, she can grow a lot. She has to learn a little from Jon. Sam asked if she would give up her crown for the realm. I'm not sure she would right now. But she might grow in that direction (and then die, GRRM would do that IMO).

I'm looking forward dor hher encounter with Jaime.

Just now, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

How cool was the title sequence.  Loved the new sequence, going inside Winterfell (the crypts still have a part to play in my opinion).  Plus ending it on the Iron Throne reminding people what the end game is all about.

Thought they did a great job of adapting the credits to the condensed settings.  

And yeah, if the crypts don't have a key role in this season it'll be a major disappointment given the foreshadowing. 

With Tyrion, Brienne and Varys there i find very hard to see them killing jaime without a major fallout of the whole political situation that could end any chance of an unified front against the WWs.

If Dany executes jaime for killing her father (the mad king) after her fallout with Sam, she will become the Mad Quen at the spot, no chance to be accepted by anyone on the seven kingdoms.

if Sansa executes him for crippling Bran, Tyrion will force a conflict between Dany and her

if Arya kills him, well, arya survived a twisting knife wound in the guts after swimming on a sewer, maybe she can pull it off.

Edited by BlueNightzx