[Poll] How would you rate episode 801?

Ran

How would you rate episode 801?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

I've given it an 8, but could  be argued down to a 7. 

Genuinely surprised by so many giving it a 6 however. I don't know what people were expecting from the first episode? Historically they've always been about re-introducing characters/storylines etc. and usually very little of substance happens. With that in mind I would say that behind the very first episode of the show, this is the best opening episode to any season. We had VERY important moments occur (Jon riding a dragon for the first time + the reveal of his parentage), a nice 5 minute horror film set at The Last Hearth, touching albeit brief character reunions, an amazing scene with Sam and the advancement of the Greyjoy plot. 

Also, as per usual, the visual effects were great.

The only criticisms I have is that whilst it was advanced, I would say that Yara being rescued this quickly makes the whole arc kind of pointless. But hey, we only have 5 episodes left after this, so as those criticised the episode for not doing enough, we have to get moving. So I don't mind the speed. That and I felt that the Jon/Drogon stuff was stupid. But hey, it was like 20 seconds. 

6/10

The dialogue was so flat and boring, it seems that most characters don't have any personality left. A lot of reveals felt rushed, but I guess it's because there is only this season left to wrap everything up, so they decided that since the viewers already know about R+L=J, Littlefinger's fate, Sam's family fate, etc, they decided to gloss over most of dialogues or reactions from the characters. I also found it weird how Jon just climbed up on a huge dragon and flew away like no bid deal.

But I guess these things are to be expected since the TV show skipped or heavily altered all the story arcs in AFFC and ADWD, and went straight to the end game.

Edited by Dornish Mage

3 out of 10 for me.

The only things to elevate it were seeing Edd, seeing Arya smile for the first time in forever, and John Bradley's acting.

The How to Train your Dragon seen, while necessary, was cheesy. And Arya stating Sandra is the smartest person she's ever known was laughable considering Sandra is, along with Jon, the dumbest character throughout the entire series.

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

3 out of 10 for me.

The only things to elevate it were seeing Edd, seeing Arya smile for the first time in forever, and John Bradley's acting.

The How to Train your Dragon seen, while necessary, was cheesy. And Arya stating Sandra is the smartest person she's ever known was laughable considering Sandra is, along with Jon, the dumbest character throughout the entire series.

"Sandra", as a dynamic character has demonstrated a superb character arc through the series. Jon's still pretty dumb though.

I ranked 5/10. Overall, I liked the episode. In summary, however, the episode was too short and too little happened. I had wished for more content, more emotions and was expecting more than 51 min.

REUNIONS

Some of the reunions could have been more emotional. On the other side, have you ever lived through a real reunion after seven years not seeing each other and having developed significantly? It's always a strange feeling in the beginning, old emotions but new facts.

+ I liked the Arya/Jon reunion, it was sort of realistically. Starting somehow cold, but getting warmer in seconds. She still sees him as family, they hugged closely, smiled. It's fine for me. 

+ The reunion of Sansa and Tyrion was very good. Distanced as expected, some common ground but a lot of discrepancies, her last sentence about him being not so smart after all in still believing Cersei was great. 

+ I really liked the Sam/Jon reunion with all its conflicting emotions, but instantly being close to each other again. They were not separated for so long and they bond again more easily. That is realistic. I liked that Sam told him about his parentage.

+ The Bran/Jamie cold stare whether unsure glance was great, but some words could have been exchanged. Anyway, great scene.

+ Arya and the Hound... again, somewhat realistically, not any faked emotions, but I had wished for a bit more. 

+ Arya and Gendry... very well done. They were even flirting with each other, banter each other a bit. What could you expect more than that? Personally, I am not a fan of an Arya/Gendry romance, but the reunion was done nicely.

STORYLINE

+ The North was unhappy with Jon Snow bending the knee. Realistic. They don't give up too easily. They're suspicious and disappointed. They show the tensions, but the dialogues of these scenes are mediocre. Lyanna Mormont this time shallow, Tyrions speech not really igniting the fire.

- What I don't like is that Daenerys expects Jon to be able to ride a dragon. Aren't only Valyrians or Targaryens supposed to do so? Does she know more about him? Or can anyone ride a dragon? This appears to be inconsistent. The dragon ride scenes themselves were poorly made in my opinion. Unspectacular, on the border to boring. 

- Sansa is presented as smart now. I don't really feel this development. She was so naive and dumb, and now she is smart and courageous? That was too absupt in S7 and still is in S8. But we have to accept that she is supposed to have mellowed, smartened, developed. Strange, but the way it is. They even need Arya to state that Sansa is smart. Crazy. Just because Sansa thinks of feeding the people or putting leather in armor? This is not smart, but basic.

+ I like the Umber scene with the symbol. Well done. Good effect. Again shows us that there is some reasoning, planning, some culture in the White Walkers. Not just dumb ice creatures coming to kill, but a species with an agenda.

- I didn't like that they set up Bronn to kill Jamie and Tyrion. That's too simple and Bronn should be beyond the point of trusting Cersei or just going for money. He's supposed to be a smart man.

- I like sex scenes, but the Bronn scene lacked enthusiam. Not up to the high standards we are used to.

In summary, the episode was too short, too little happened. I had wished for more and was expecting more than 51 min.

4 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

"Sandra", as a dynamic character has demonstrated a superb character arc through the series. Jon's still pretty dumb though.

Pretty sure her relationships with Joffrey, Cersei, Tyrion, Ramsey, Littlefinger, etc. would state she has been pretty dumb throughout her existence. And now they are setting up this awful catfight between her and Dany. No thanks.

Though, her put down of Tyrion in the first episode was a pretty good slam.

An underwhelming start. 

Good points:

Interesting new opening credits that'll be worth watching.

Two good scenes without dialogue (opening and closing scenes).

Always like a bit of dragon CGI.

John Bradley's scenes.

Bad points:

Poor dialogue.  Testicle jokes.  Tits and arse for no good reason.  Unfulfilling reunions. Pacing off.

Telling us Sansa's smart rather than showing us (as she's been pretty dumb for seven seasons).

Making all women, even Lyanna Mormont, snarky and petty.

Dragon riding as comedy.

Can't go better than 4/10.

6/10.

Frat humor is alive and kicking, the dialogue stilted and flat without Martin's wit, the acting stiff due to the lackluster writing, but overall it could've been worse. I actually sort of enjoyed myself, which is a rare occurrence in these later seasons.

The real test will be upcoming episodes. I somehow doubt D&D will be able to restrain themselves from slipping in one or twenty narrative breaking contrivances.

I voted 7/10.

Good but not remarkable.

Enjoyed (most of) the reunions.

The aesthetic and music, as always, is top notch.

As others have said, some scenes felt rushed/underwhelming.  Jon parentage reveal ok I suppose but could've been handled better. Some of the actors seemed like they couldn't be bothered, or is that unfair?

Still I enjoyed the episode overall.

A solid season opener, laying out the pieces and setting the scene for what's to come.

Some touching reunions, glad they got them all done and dusted early and didn't drag them out over too long.

It was a general intro to the season, with just six episodes I was hoping it would move along a little faster than that. 

King's Landing scenes were a mess.

Sansa and Dany snark is already annoying.

But Sam finding out about his father and brother, really well done. Same with his confrontation with Jon. All well done.

7.  It was the first episode of the final season and it pretty much did what it was supposed to do.  It reminded us of characters we like and do not like, and it showed character circles, like Tyrion, Varys, and Davos.  Bran is alone.  Jon belongs to 2 different groups and is torn.  The coming scenes look good.

What I did not like-

Bronn's scenes were entirely unnecessary, designed to fill the naked girl quota.

Cersei and Euron are very annoying.  She is insane and he loves himself.  Wonder who is going to win the mirror, mirror contest?

WHERE IS GHOST?

2 hours ago, Elayis said:

6/10.

Frat humor is alive and kicking, the dialogue stilted and flat without Martin's wit, the acting stiff due to the lackluster writing, but overall it could've been worse. I actually sort of enjoyed myself, which is a rare occurrence in these later seasons.

The real test will be upcoming episodes. I somehow doubt D&D will be able to restrain themselves from slipping in one or twenty narrative breaking contrivances.

The dialogue has been problematic ever since they outpaced the source material, IMO.

Unless they're saving Ghost for some epic, just-in-time dramatic entrance, I don't see why he's not at Winterfell. Mind you, looking at what they did to Summer, he'll probably dramatically mid-battle and get skewered within 5 seconds.

It was a decent 'Episode 1' with all of the requisite exposition. However, it seems to me (and I recall thinking this from last season)… for a series that has a helluva lot to wrap up and tie together in such a short time, there continues to be a lot of what I would consider filler.

7.25 out of 10.  Competent but not mind blowing, didn't make me regret looking forward to it.

I am, however, so out of practice after the two year lay off that I put my rating post in the discussion thread, forgetting there was a separate rating thread such as this.  Oopsie!

here's a link

Was between a 6-7, ended up closer to a 6.

Honestly wasn't a fan of really anything in the first half of the episode outside of the S1x01 mirror with the procession entering Winterfell. I guess I liked Theon rescuing Yara. Nice little action sequence. Kinda rushed sure - but it was fun.

I really enjoyed the Last Hearth piece, along with John Bradley's performance. Nikolaj as Jaime managed to be better than most of the cast in a 20 second scene with no dialogue.

Met expectations, wasn't really expecting much.

3, this is just terrible. They are relying on us feeling nostalgic about the episode and cramming reunions while making nonsense conflicts. Not to mention fan service for characters. The truth is they don’t have a story, besides the White Walkers  because they made the story Jon centric.

Gave this a 7/10

was a strong episode with plenty of politics happening and building to tension between characters,  Brans look over to Tyrion could be quite telling, although could be a red herring too.

Didn't like the dragon scene, should have meant much more for Jons first flight and Danny should have been looking on and thinking how is this happening, sure only Targaryens have been able to ride dragons since the doom, just felt a bit underwhelming.