Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

Where is Ghost?? Jon has his own pet too, but they only focus on the dragons.

But I feel that even if Ghost show up this season it will be underwhelming whatever they'll do with him since he's gone for so long.

It's just bizarre how they disappeared with Ghost. When was this? right before Jon died, right?

It's not even a bad soap anymore. No depth, no meaning. It's just filler until the next battle. Maybe the books will finish the story one day.

ps. About the graphic violence. Hitchcock used to say what the audience doesn't see, they will imagine far worse. This sure isn't Hitchcock.

3 minutes ago, Nami said:

But I feel that even if Ghost show up this season it will be underwhelming whatever they'll do with him since he's gone for so long.

It's just bizarre how they disappeared with Ghost. When was this? right before Jon died, right?

He was with Jon when he died and (i just looked up) apparently when Jon first went into Winterfell (after the battle of the Bastards) but he is long overdue to show up. I hope they do include him and not just for 1 scene. 

Where are the King's Guard? Are they supposed to be those guards dressed with black armor and no white cloak? Is there even a KG anymore?

Who is ruling The Reach and Riverlands? What happened to Dorne? Because Cersei blew up a bunch of nobles inside the Sept those lands were erased from the map?
How is Cersei maintaining the throne? Is it because she has a Terminator next to her and Josef Mengele?

P.S. I'm bothered that Varys and Davos became a meme making machine. Varys, the the most clever character alongside Littlefinger, became comic relief. Not to mention what a waste of an amazing actor.

9 minutes ago, Nami said:

P.S. I'm bothered that Varys and Davos became a meme making machine. Varys, the the most clever character alongside Littlefinger, became comic relief. Not to mention what a waste of an amazing actor.

I really hate what has become of Varys on the show. He is such a shell of a character. There seems to be no depth anymore. Not for a long time now. 

10 minutes ago, Nami said:

Hated the Jon flies Rhaegal scene for so many reasons, but mostly because it was a painful reminder that we haven't seen Ghost for the entire S7 and S8 premiere... Only made me feel "Jon you traitor to your wolf!" And then I hate the showwriters for it, because it's OOC for Jon and they're doing it because they lurrve dragons and hate wolves and using it to manipulate our feelings about Jon and his Stark side. Just ugh.

And then they spent time on that romantic getaway which was entirely unconvcing for me: like really... you just learned the Wall fell, and you're out and about flying dragons and talking "we can stay here and everyone will forget about us"... sure! Not!

Ok, not a fan of Jonerys, not convinced either it will happen in the books. But I can deal with some lovey-dovey stuff, as when Davos-Tyrion-Varys watch them. The time they spent on those various scenes were just not realistic to me at all. And they left a major reunion out of the premier because of it. Can anyone tell me why the Hound and Sansa haven't met up yet? Really?

54 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Lots, I suppose, Sansa is cleverer than Tyrion, who can't quit making tedious jokes about Varys. I don't dispute that Sansa is clever, it's just that the show doesn't really show us and relies on telling us. And when Sansa says last season 'I'm a slow learner, but I do learn' it kind of contradicts Arya saying'she's the smartest girl I know'. It's very inconsistent. I kind of hated how snippy Sansa was when she asked 'what do dragons eat, anyway?' It's a valid concern, but this is not the Sansa I know who wields courtesy as her weapon and shield. 

The reunions lacked any real emotion. That disappointed me. 

This! So much this! When Arya said that I was completely thrown out of that reunion scene. I'm all for Sansa becoming clever and smart, but I want to see it on screen through actions, not because another character telegraphs it to me, and certainly not by a character who has outwitted every opponent of hers so far. And Sansa snipping at a queen with dragons in public isn't being smart at all.

I felt the entire episode was completely underwhelming and badly written: 

1) I was looking forward to reunions but none of the reunions had any depth or emotion

2) alot of the screen time was wasted on chit-chat 

3) the story is becoming too predictable

4) Kings Landing scenes and Theon/Yara felt like fillers 

5) No Ghost 

6) the entire epi seemed tired and forced, like the creators and actors have run out if steam

The only good parts of the episode for me were Sam's scenes 

1 minute ago, Starkblack said:

I hated that Dany was told her dragon is now fighting with the dead and we didn’t get more than a look. As emotionless as some of the reunions were I sort of expected way more of a reaction from her.

yeah like "how the hell do you know this, weird kid?"

53 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I can do without Euron asking Cersei about her sex life. What a waste of time (which means stay tuned for more).

Speaking of which, I thought Cersei wasn't even pretending she and Jaime weren't perverts anymore. Yet she threatened Urine's head when he brought it up. Or was that for general insolence. 

1 minute ago, MoonKnight21 said:

4) Kings Landing scenes and Theon/Yara felt like fillers 

The only good parts of the episode for me were Sam's scenes 

I actually liked Theon and Yara. I mean, the rescue was rushed, but that's fine - get it out of the way. I loved how they did the rescue, however. No words were spoken and yet we understood exactly what each of them were feeling. It moved the pieces where they needed to be without taking up too much time. I wonder if the Iron Isles are going to actually be an important point of retreat, or if it's just a convenient way to cut Yara.

I agree that Sam's scenes were good. It was a good transition from Dany wanting to thank Sam, then 'oh shit', to Sam confronting Jon in anger. Sam's doubt over Dany felt earned, unlike pretty much everyone else.

7 minutes ago, MoonKnight21 said:

I was looking forward to reunions but none of the reunions had any depth or emotion

Jon/Sam had some. But that's because there was built-up story being paid off and probably because those actors have spent an awful lot of time together. 

1 hour ago, darmody said:

Is it? Last season, they were shown flying up and down almost the whole continent in a very short span of time. I don't see why they couldn't fly South for lunch and be back in time for afternoon tea. 

It's a valid concern when their lunch could very well be your livestock on which you are depending for your own food.

14 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I actually liked Theon and Yara. I mean, the rescue was rushed, but that's fine - get it out of the way. I loved how they did the rescue, however. No words were spoken and yet we understood exactly what each of them were feeling.

I thought that was great! A head butt to say "thanks for deserting me", but then "give me a hand up, thanks for coming for me". And then the way she let Theon go fight with the Starks, acknowledging they were as much his family as she was and he owed them much.

14 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I wonder if the Iron Isles are going to actually be an important point of retreat, or if it's just a convenient way to cut Yara.

I wondered about that too, cuz it's the second time the dead not being able to swim has come up. But they'd have to have ships to get there.

15 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I agree that Sam's scenes were good.

It seems that Sam's scenes are always good. He is one of the best written characters of the series, IMO, and certainly one of my favorites.

25 minutes ago, darmody said:

Speaking of which, I thought Cersei wasn't even pretending she and Jaime weren't perverts anymore. Yet she threatened Urine's head when he brought it up. Or was that for general insolence. 

I think that was to let Euron know his place. And Jaime is still the only man she's ever really loved, even if she does want him killed.

32 minutes ago, Nami said:

yeah like "how the hell do you know this, weird kid?"

Ha. This at the very least. Was expecting some additional mourning. For all the talk about sacrifice and children. Also THE NK HAS A DRAGON, someone freak out.

33 minutes ago, MoonKnight21 said:

1) I was looking forward to reunions but none of the reunions had any depth or emotion

4) No Ghost 

I was disappointed in the reunions too, but keep in mind most of them included Arya, who doesn't show a lot of emotion these days. I was expecting Arya's return to be a surprise to Jon, but it makes sense that Sansa would have notified him by raven.  Still, with the exception of the big hugs and brief big smiles, it was pretty lame.  As was Arya and Gendry's. I hope to see some sparks in that relationship, but only 6 episodes and not all 90 min like was promised, not much time for romance.

And yeah, where the heck has Ghost been?

Archived