Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

IT WAS ONLY AN HOUR!!!!!!!!!  What happened to only 6 episodes but they will all be well over an hour?

Cersei had sex with Euron. Ick. Anyone having sex with Euron, ICK!

I know Arya is a "cold little bitch" these days, but she and Jon were each other's favorites. That reunion at least should have been more emotional.

1 hour ago, MoonKnight21 said:

I felt the entire episode was completely underwhelming and badly written: 

1) I was looking forward to reunions but none of the reunions had any depth or emotion

2) alot of the screen time was wasted on chit-chat 

3) the story is becoming too predictable

4) Kings Landing scenes and Theon/Yara felt like fillers 

5) No Ghost 

6) the entire epi seemed tired and forced, like the creators and actors have run out if steam

Same here. They just dont't do non-action scenes well.

Ghost's absence was particularly glaring as they included his very first (and other) scenes in the previouslies.

No, Arya, it's not clever for Sansa to be all passive-aggressive to your new Queen. In public, to boot. The whole Sansa-Dany drama feels forced, 'cause women be catty, amiright? (Even though I must admit I did like Dany's comeback. "Whatever they like". Take that, bitch!)

Loved the ending with Jaime/ Bran but I bet that basically Bran will tell Jaime it's all well, because no crippling=no 3ER.

Did Bran really say, "He's not my brother"? I mean, technically, yeah, but...

The romantic dragon flight was because they wanted a romantic dragon flight, period. The part of "oh look, how cute, the dragons are watching them kiss!" made me roll my eyes.

Great callback to S1: Totally useless gratuitious brothel scene! Yay for nostalgia I guess? Although in this case it was really all tits and (talk of) dragons, so there's that.

PS: Was Tyrion's speech in the hall supposed to be this bad and unconvincing or is it just me?

Oh and one more thing. Had not Yara pledged to fight alongside Dany? So just because she was a pow, she's headed back to the Iron Islands to wait it all out?! Lame and ooc.

Gotta say, Theon was far more efficient with the sibling freeing stuff; but of course he didn't have to deal with genius half naked Ramsay, so...

36 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

I know Arya is a "cold little bitch" these days, but she and Jon were each other's favorites. That reunion at least should have been more emotional.

It did seem weird didn't it?

I mean, the last time we saw Jon and Arya together was when he gave her Needle. That was a very emotional scene, especially since it is obviously pointed out that Arya has a strong bond with Jon. 

And Needle is really part of Arya's identity.

It just seemed as if two neighbours, who used to be fond of each other but drifted apart are back together. 

Ironically Sandor and Arya reunion seemed more emotional. And with Gendtry as well.

38 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Did Bran really say, "He's not my brother"? I mean, technically, yeah, but...

Bran didn't mean it like "I reject our experience growing up thinking we were half-brothers." It was more, "We're cousins and it's time Jon knew who his real parents are."

14 minutes ago, Danelle said:

Ironically Sandor and Arya reunion seemed more emotional. And with Gendtry as well.

The Hound and Arya had something to settle, and neither ever wanted to admit possessing feelings for eachother. So there was drama in their reunion. 

Jon/Arya was probably the most anticipated reunion in fan sentiment (not counting Cleganebowl), because we all remember fondly the two outsiders of the family saying goodbye and needle being passed. But the drama that should have been present the show didn't want to dig into.

They touched upon it, when Jon asked where she's been; what she's been doing. Jon has been through more than her, considering he died. But she was just a girl. She's been traumatized beyond words can express. He feels he should have been there to protect her. 

This sort of stuff I have to read into the scene because they won't bring it out. It's all "Hey, nice sword" and "Sansa's smart; I didn't threaten to wear her face three days ago whattya talking about?"

22 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

The last four are going to be a little over an hour and a half. The last one will be close to 2 hours long.

Where did you hear that? The article I read today said the first three would be about an hour and the last three would be about an hour and 20 min.

I hope you're right cuz I feel cheated! I don't feel they'll be as good if they squeezed so much into so little time.

39 minutes ago, Danelle said:

It did seem weird didn't it?

I mean, the last time we saw Jon and Arya together was when he gave her Needle. That was a very emotional scene, especially since it is obviously pointed out that Arya has a strong bond with Jon. 

And Needle is really part of Arya's identity.

It just seemed as if two neighbours, who used to be fond of each other but drifted apart are back together. 

Yes, it did seem weird for exactly the reason you said. And at some point, didn't she tell someone her brother gave her Needle, implying it had sentimental value to her?

She and Gendry did fall pretty quickly into their old routine of "My Lady" - "Don't call me that", but I thought their reunion was kind of lukewarm too. She once told Gendry she could be his family. It seems Jon and Gendry would be the two people that could make her cold exterior melt a little.

Her reunion with Sandor was great. They still didn't like each other, but exhibited mutual respect.

Incidentally, if Arya is ever to fall in love, I think it would and should be Gendry.

47 minutes ago, Nami said:

Anyone else feels that Emilia and Kit have no chemistry?

Yup. The dragon-riding scene was a total rip-off from Avatar, except that even the half-cgi characters in Avatar had more chemistry.

The script was quite meh, as anyone has mentioned. I did enjoy the Sam scenes greatly: John Bradley put on a very moving performance and vocalized my sentiments regarding Danaerys' unworthiness perfectly. I hope the Jon-versus-Danaerys tension doesn't get resolved in some cheap, careless manner in the next 2 episodes.

4 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

She and Gendry did fall pretty quickly into their old routine of "My Lady" - "Don't call me that", but I thought their reunion was kind of lukewarm too. She once told Gendry she could be his family. It seems Jon and Gendry would be the two people that could make her cold exterior melt a little.

Her reunion with Sandor was great. They still didn't like each other, but exhibited mutual respect.

Incidentally, if Arya is ever to fall in love, I think it would and should be Gendry.

Well, Gendry and Arya reuniting was indeed lukewarm on the other hand you might explain his attitude because he is now working as a blacksmith at her castle, where everyone refers to her as "Lady Stark". They both went through a lot but Gendry remains a bastard and she is still a Stark. 

I agree that Gendry seems to be the most likely love interest for Arya, if she ever has one, but her cold and distant attitude puzzles me. It is understandable to be that way, given what she has been through, there is no arguing that and indeed her attitude towards Sandor and his attitude towards her, fit perfectly with the way their relationship developped during season 3. That encounter was wonderfully written.

But Gendry, as you said, along with Jon, was someone that she really cared about. I always wondered whether the "I can be your family" quote was an attempt by Arya to replace her family, especially Jon. I mean following the events of the first episodes of season 1, the Stark kids were seperated and they all went on separate ways. Jon had new brothers at the NW, Sansa was infatuated with the Lannisters and by the prospect of joining their house and later she had a sisterly relationship with Margaery. Robb and Talisa were about to start a new family and the Reeds and Osha were a form of surrogate family to Bran and Rickon.

But now they are, most of them at least and they have to learn to live like a family, again, a real family.

I strongly doubt that if lets say, Arya decides to be good friends with Gendry and treat him as an equal or even suggests to marry him, anyone, Dany, Jon or Sansa will care of forbid her from associating with Gendry. The problem is that it is Arya who doesn't seem all that eager.

Perhaps the Jon-Arya reunion was too short because it is sign of how much they have both changed or because it is a sign of Jon choosing House Targaryen over House Stark.

13 minutes ago, Danelle said:

Well, Gendry and Arya reuniting was indeed lukewarm on the other hand you might explain his attitude because he is now working as a blacksmith at her castle, where everyone refers to her as "Lady Stark". They both went through a lot but Gendry remains a bastard and she is still a Stark. 

I agree that Gendry seems to be the most likely love interest for Arya, if she ever has one, but her cold and distant attitude puzzles me. It is understandable to be that way, given what she has been through, there is no arguing that and indeed her attitude towards Sandor and his attitude towards her, fit perfectly with the way their relationship developped during season 3. That encounter was wonderfully written.

But Gendry, as you said, along with Jon, was someone that she really cared about. I always wondered whether the "I can be your family" quote was an attempt by Arya to replace her family, especially Jon. I mean following the events of the first episodes of season 1, the Stark kids were seperated and they all went on separate ways. Jon had new brothers at the NW, Sansa was infatuated with the Lannisters and by the prospect of joining their house and later she had a sisterly relationship with Margaery. Robb and Talisa were about to start a new family and the Reeds and Osha were a form of surrogate family to Bran and Rickon.

But now they are, most of them at least and they have to learn to live like a family, again, a real family.

I strongly doubt that if lets say, Arya decides to be good friends with Gendry and treat him as an equal or even suggests to marry him, anyone, Dany, Jon or Sansa will care of forbid her from associating with Gendry. The problem is that it is Arya who doesn't seem all that eager.

Perhaps the Jon-Arya reunion was too short because it is sign of how much they have both changed or because it is a sign of Jon choosing House Targaryen over House Stark.

Arya's coldness and distance doesn't puzzle me in general. At a very young age her family was pretty much torn apart and she saw her father beheaded. And even though she claimed to hate Sansa, her betrayal had to have hurt.  She is feeling scared and forlorn when she meets Gendry and forms a bond with him, and then he chooses the brotherhood over her when she was desperate to have someone to call family. She already has a very strong desire for revenge, and I think it's a classic case of building walls around oneself for emotional protection and allowing revenge to replace affection. Arya doesn't care one whit about being a "lady", but there were other people around so Gendry would certainly restrain himself. (And I couldn't understand part of the dialogue, even the second time through, so I don't know what I missed.) And then maybe she still carries the hurt of Gendry choosing the Brotherhood over her.  That's what drives me nuts about TV. With characters like Arya, you just can't get in their heads like you can in a book.

It wasn't the length of Jon and Arya's reunion, it was the lack of excitement. I wanted "Jon!" Arya!" I'm so happy to see you! But instead they're in the godswood (a quiet, reverent place), and it starts with "How did you sneak up on me?"  But then she jumped into his arms for a warm, extended embrace and genuine smiles, and that was good. And I guess we shouldn't downplay how pleased Jon was to see that she still had Needle. It just seems the writers are determined to give us fans only a little of what we want and it irks me!

Yeah, I'm not feeling the chemistry either. Their sex scene last season was the most awkward ever, and not because of the incest. I was gonna kind blame it on their stoic personas, but Jon and Ygritte had chemistry (obviously) even though Kit was as serious as ever in those seasons. I thought Emilia and Momoa had some good chemistry too, so I'm not blaming it on the actors, it's just really too bad that it didn't happen with these two.

Negative this episode:

* No surprises. Nowhere.

* Jaime not stopping in the Riverlands

* Rescuing Yara from a ship that is probably anchored in KL

* Wasting CGI-Budget on idle dragonriding

* Wasting good actors (Tyrion, Varys) on idle dialogues

* Mentioning the needed supplies for a dothraki horde - but who shall produce the 50k winterclothes?

The rather cold reunion of Jon and Arya is not my concern. She has grown cold for seasons, and the "Stark family first"-attitude fits to her character.

With regards to Arya-reunion scenes. They actually are better than I expected. Yes, she's quite cold and self-controlled and in a way timid towards Jon and Gendry, but they made Arya such a personality who has been closed off from her former exhuberant self, that it was quite believable to me now that she cannot yet fully turn the knob off. Just seeing her smile was nice to see after the bleakness of her S7 performance.

In that way the opener laid the tone. She sees Jon and wants to signal almost, in excitement, but he doesn't see her, and her manner becomes one of "oh right, I'm Arya Underfoot, the one people overlook". At least when she sees Gendry, she just smiles and isn't disheartened if he didn't see her. So, I get why she sneeks up to Jon and isn't sure how to behave towards him, though she let her guard down for a moment by rushing into his arms, and forgetting that line about Sansa being the smartest person she ever met, her smile when being held by Jon showed the warmth she's capable.

Then later we get the Gendry-Hound-Arya scene. Not sure she initially tended to be cold to the Hound, but she walks in on him being an ass to Gendry for no reason. And she corrects him immediately. Then of course, Arya mirrors his cool and coldness. The Hound seemed to get it, and I liked how his voice at the end revealed some warmth towards her. He gets it.

Given how Gendry turned down her offer to be her family, her being vulnerable to him, and the years between it, her experiences and her feelings for him, I also get why she doesn't know how to act. Seemed to me as if she was waiting to see how Gendry would behave towards her. The moment he starts to tease her in his usual way about being castleborn, a lord's daughter, a lady, etc, and giving her the Wesley line "as you wish, m'lady" she can't help but smile and by the end she feels secure enough to return the teasing-pattern they developed and gains confidence, even in the way she walks away from him. She thawed surprisingly quickly in her behaviour towards Gendry imo.

So, for me, those were actually ideal scenes I could see play out, for both the show as well as the books. Also particularly with Gendry, I'm reminded of a line that Darcy uses towards Lizzy in Pride & Prejudice, "For someone feeling less that would be easy" (or along those lines).

Now to the R&R:

- Tyrion jokes about Varys not having balls 

- Tits and dragons

- Euron & Cersei in KL. They should have cut it after she signals Euron can come up. The after-sex scene was pointless imo.

- Theon & Yara rushed. Here's the man's redemption scene of regaining some of his former bravery and it was over in the blink of an eye

- Gag at the fly-dragon scene and romantic getaway

- While I get Sansa's scepticism towards Dany, it's absolutely NOT smart to be sassy

- Even if Sansa may have had no time or courage yet to face the Hound, I would have thought at least the Hound eyeing Sansa would have been appropriate in the premier

So started watching it just now:

Opening scene is way too long. A full three minutes of coverage shots of people walking isn't interesting. No idea why they used the Baratheon theme for Dany arriving, other than everything is tailored here to reflect Robert's arrival at Winterfell back in S1 (except thrice as long). I have to say, Isaac Hempstead-Wright is really not a good actor. Not sure why Araya is in the Wintertown, either, but I guess that doesn't matter. I feel like this scene should have been a minute long, rather than 3. 

Sansa/Dany conflict just seems uninteresting. Theon rescuing Yara felt rushed and underwhelming. Lmfao at Sansa apologising to Tyrion for being his family's hostage and behaving like a hostage. 

I, too, want an elephant, Cersei. 

Did Bronn need to be with three whores when Qyburn finds him? Felt cheap and silly. 

Jon can ride Rhaegal. Again, felt cheap and lazy. No bonding with him, winning his trust, connecting with him, no training him. Just happens. And, honestly, the dragon-riding was okay, but it's been done better in both Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon.  (And why has no one thought to saddle these damn things yet?)

Wights not being able to swim is still the dumbest thing. Even still, they crossed at Eastwatch, and they'll pass White Harbour... can't they just commandeer some ships and sail?

Best part:
- Jon and Sam realize that Daenerys ain't all that great (aka she killed Sam's family)
- the crucified little Umber boy going alive
- Jaime's look when he saw Bran

Worst parts:
- Bran looking permanently high
- Bronn and three whores - was this really necessary?
- the endless "long time no see" between various characters
- way too many supporting characters with basically no use at this moment, yet they get a bit of screen time to remind us they are alive (for example Missandei and Worm)

Archived