Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

6 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah in that aspect, absolutely. In fact, were there even manderlys in the show? 

I personally hated her guts from day 1. But I know that’s just me. “Sassy” kid has been a go-to television tool for decades, it’s widely enjoyed so Of course they were going to get an all-year pass for that bandwagon. 

Yeah he was there last season for about 30 seconds, first he told Sansa and Jon to fuck off, and then in the big 'moment' after pint size gave everyone a lecture on their vows he rededicated himself....but then, I didn't see him this episode.  Probably already deserted again along with the Glovers.  LOL.

8 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah in that aspect, absolutely. In fact, were there even manderlys in the show? 

Yes, lord Manderly showed up at Winterfell after the battle in season 6. Lyanna calls him out that despite his son being killed at the Red Wedding, he still refused the call. He agrees with her, and declares that the White Wolf avenged the Red Wedding.

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah he was there last season for about 30 seconds, first he told Sansa and Jon to fuck off, and then in the big 'moment' after pint size gave everyone a lecture on their vows he rededicated himself....but then, I didn't see him this episode.  Probably already deserted again along with the Glovers.  LOL.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, lord Manderly showed up at Winterfell after the battle in season 6. Lyanna calls him out that despite his son being killed at the Red Wedding, he still refused the call. He agrees with her, and declares that the White Wolf avenged the Red Wedding.

Right, you guys are correct. That Lyanna Mormont speech is such a mush. She called out Cerwyn too, who Sansa and Jon didn’t even end up asking. Who the heck can tell what actually happened there? I know I can’t. 

5 minutes ago, divica said:

Another interesting thing. If jon doesn t need to know he is a targ to be a dragon rider then why does he MUST know the truth about his parents. And I am stressing MUST because that is what bran uses...

Must=The Will of the Writers.  Just like the they "must" bring back a wight from beyond the wall for Cersei.  

22 minutes ago, divica said:

Another interesting thing. If jon doesn t need to know he is a targ to be a dragon rider then why does he MUST know the truth about his parents. And I am stressing MUST because that is what bran uses...

It's so ridiculous this "we need to tell Jon ASAP" thing wthout explaining why that I can only conclude that either Bran is manipulating Jon or it's just really really bad writing.

2 minutes ago, Nami said:

It's so ridiculous this "we need to tell Jon ASAP" thing wthout explaining why that I can only conclude that either Bran is manipulating Jon or it's just really really bad writing.

I really hope they will tell us why jon needed to know before the battle. If they just ignore this on the next ep or if it doesn t become importante before the battle I will be seriously pissed.

17 hours ago, princess brittany said:

sansa and dany drama was dumb. i loved when sam told jon who he was

I hated this because the actor playing Sam is so average. What should have been an amazing pivotal scene in the entire series was meh. 

AND why was Sam so upset about his father getting toasted when he didn't even like him? I've gone right off him.

If this episode's night shots are any indication, I can't wait for the Battle of Winterfell. The most expensive and longest battle ever shot and 90% of it will be completely invisible for the viewer because in all that budget there was no money for decent lighting.

27 minutes ago, Mystical said:

If this episode's night shots are any indication, I can't wait for the Battle of Winterfell. The most expensive and longest battle ever shot and 90% of it will be completely invisible for the viewer because in all that budget there was no money for decent lighting.

I have to agree there, although it's been forever that the show's stuff in the North has been to dark to see even on a large TV.  

I forgot about the forging of Dragonglass!  Lol...

Was it really that much less dramatic to show Beefcake the Gendry chipping it for edged weapons like flint?

I didn't rewind, but didn't even mold the brackets holding the axe head from a single pour?

So I'm back after a 1+ year GoT sabbatical since deciding not to watch or read any spoilers for the last season. Here's my general thoughts and questions:

- First of all, we can officially throw the Westeros map to the trash bin, it doesn't have any bearing on what is currently transpiring on the show, travelling from one location to another feels like I'm playing some sort of interactive RPG. Unsullied travel apparently thousands of miles from KL to Winterfell in like a week while on the other hand Night's King is a couple hundred miles from Winterfell but instead of marching there he got artsy,

- Adding to the previous point, apparently places like let's say the Riverlands (I vaguely remember main characters literally spending whole seasons suffering though this region) or the Neck have been erased from the show,

- If the last season is supposed to remind us of the second coming on the Long Night (you know: blizzards, freezing temperatures) it sure doesn't feel that way. I mean, Jon and Dany flying all across the North while the Night King and his undead dragon are chilling, I guess?

- Reunions were meh, except for Jaime/Bran and maybe Arya/Gendry,

- Cersei finally got banned from using 'infinite Lannister cannon fodder' cheat codes so the Golden Company arrives and will be thrown into a future meatgrinder instead,

- too many dick jokes, sex scenes (Bronn, Cersei/Euron), it really feels like the showrunners are buned out, have ran out of book material and are just making it up as they go,

- King's Landing feels like Pripyat. I don't blame the population, who would want to be governed by a bunch of loonies and a Frankenstein enforcer?, 

- Where is Melisandre?,

- Where is Ghost?,

- I have to agree with 'forging' obsidian. I mean, as a certified geologist I instantly rolled my eyes and then facepalmed. You can carve out something from it but forge it? Goodness gracious.

14 hours ago, darmody said:

About Bronn and the whores, King's Landing looks like a ghost town. Sex prices have probably cratered. (Though there are a bunch of sailors and mercenaries freshly arrived.)

Heh, you think those Iron Men are paying the gold price?

7 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

You guys still watching this thing? I've given up after season 6 after realizing I get the more same satisfaction from reading a plot synoposis, it avoids all the cringy dialogue and the incoherent scene transitions.

6 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I get that. Season 5 almost broke me, but I came back somewhat detached and with lowered expectations and a 'don't think about it, just enjoy the ride' mentality. They failed to meet even those expectations, so I don't question anything as I watch it anymore. The show is good at spectacle - it's just that the build up to spectacle and those moments is way too often surrounded by eyerolls.

I am very similar, Gertrude (though maybe a bit on the higher side).  I used to rate the Ep's on a special Game of Thrones scale.  It would be pointless to rate them  as I normally would (10 means in the top 10% of television this season, 9 means top 20%, etc...).  I had to rate them based on other GOT episodes (though I cheated and set 5 as the likely bottom like a school grading system).  Starting with S5, I had to scrap that and just rate them compared to other shows on TV.  I gave this one a 9, as I think it's likely better than 80% of the crap on TV, but on the old  GOT scale it would have been a 5 or 6.  I appreciate the spectacle (normally), also.  The attack on Lannister supply train was a masterpiece of production.  The shot of Jaime charging Dany might have been one of the most difficult stunts ever shot (it incorporates nearly everything dangerous you can get).  And I eyeroll (and call the characters names like Urine) to get through the rest...

Why can't Jon just man up already? I know that sounds sexist but rewatching the episode I got more and more annoyed with him. Whatever people say to him about his decisions, Dany's decisions etc. he always uses the same excuse of 'we need her armies/dragons' and 'none of this matters'. Since when does none of it matter and needing Dany's armies or dragons is not a blanket excuse for everything. People think you screwed up, own it. Explain it, with the truth preferably. People have trouble with your gf or her decisions, don't make excuses for her. Do you have your own mind or not?

As much as the North has been accused of tunnel vision why is it excused for Jon? Yes, titles and petty infighting doesn't matter when an apocalypse is coming. But there is still the human element to consider and you can't fight together, in unison, if you completely ignore the human element. That's what got Ned and Robb killed and Jon actually. Jon makes impulsive decisions that have consequences and blanket excuses are not the solution. You'd think Jon would have learned that by now, what with being killed and all, but this show and character development is an oxy-moron.

10 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Why can't Jon just man up already? I know that sounds sexist but rewatching the episode I got more and more annoyed with him. Whatever people say to him about his decisions, Dany's decisions etc. he always uses the same excuse of 'we need her armies/dragons' and 'none of this matters'. Since when does none of it matter and needing Dany's armies or dragons is not a blanket excuse for everything. People think you screwed up, own it. Explain it, with the truth preferably. People have trouble with your gf or her decisions, don't make excuses for her. Do you have your own mind or not?

As much as the North has been accused of tunnel vision why is it excused for Jon? Yes, titles and petty infighting doesn't matter when an apocalypse is coming. But there is still the human element to consider and you can't fight together, in unison, if you completely ignore the human element. That's what got Ned and Robb killed and Jon actually. Jon makes impulsive decisions that have consequences and blanket excuses are not the solution. You'd think Jon would have learned that by now, what with being killed and all, but this show and character development is an oxy-moron.

That's why he will die, because he didn't learn anything from his assassination about laying the groundwork, building consensus for his decisions and including supportive facts and evidence.  He keeps saying the same thing with feeling, and that's it.  It failed with the NW, and it's going to fail him again.  I don't think he's impulsive really, but he doesn't get that not everyone will see what he sees, and he needs to bring people along, not just rant at them about the end of the world.

9 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

difficulty getting Daenerys to a point where she grasp the nuances of conquering and ruling.  Meereen just kind of became "peaceful" after her dragons burned some ships, which doesn't ring true.  Kinda a cop out. 

The Meereen plot from season 6 felt like it was all jammed into one episode, which was also the Battle of the Bastards episode. But in point of fact the show tried to have Tyrion be the savior of the city, setting it on the path to economic and religious progress. Only he failed horribly because the masters came back. 

It would have been better if Danny had been there instead of wasting all season winning herself a Dothraki army through the supreme virtue of inflamability.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

I hated this because the actor playing Sam is so average. What should have been an amazing pivotal scene in the entire series was meh. 

AND why was Sam so upset about his father getting toasted when he didn't even like him? I've gone right off him.

He was upset about his father, but not all that upset. His brother is what really set him off. 

1 hour ago, Tyrek Lannister said:

So I'm back after a 1+ year GoT sabbatical since deciding not to watch or read any spoilers for the last season. Here's my general thoughts and questions:

- First of all, we can officially throw the Westeros map to the trash bin, it doesn't have any bearing on what is currently transpiring on the show, travelling from one location to another feels like I'm playing some sort of interactive RPG. Unsullied travel apparently thousands of miles from KL to Winterfell in like a week while on the other hand Night's King is a couple hundred miles from Winterfell but instead of marching there he got artsy,

pfff, clearly you missed a lot. The map got thrown in the trash long ago, and last season the trash compactor finally did its thing, which is why we have this condensed version now, as the intro titles showed.

As always, credit where credit is due. Theon didn't blow the stealth maritime rescue by shouting "FOR YARA!"

(And that scene was totally believable because Euron's men - as Euron reminded Yara whilst taunting her - are mute, and therefore would plausibly struggle to sound an alarm in timely fashion.)

Archived