Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:

yburn says that Cersei wants him to kill Tyrion and Jaime should they not die in battle. Qyburn says Cersei always pays upfront and in gold, except we just saw that she doesn't. She will pay later, and sometimes pays in other things than gold, like sex. 

We also see no signs that Cersei is angry at Tyrion and Jaime. On the contrary, she seems lonely and sad. Euron's mention of Jaime doesn't raise anything resembling murderous feelings. 

Qyburn gets a few camera shots in this episode where we're supposed to notice what he's thinking. 

Cersei only partially paid in sex. Urine wants not merely to mount her but to marry and impregnate her. (Or so he says. Perhaps he'll kill her and take the Iron Throne at the nearest opportunity.) He can't very well impregnate an already-pregnant queen, and I have no doubt Cersei shall never marry Resuci Andie. 

It's a curious question about Qyburn. While Tyrion's untimely death would be more dear to Cersei than anything but her baby and her crown, why send Bronn of all people to consummate it? Except that she knows he's good at killing and discreet. But how about find an assassin who hadn't been travelling and drinking companion to both brothers. 

Furthermore, she could have had Zombie Mountain kill Jaime lickety-split, and for free, last season. 

One small thing that really shows the difference between the thought that goes into the book compared to the show is the flaming sword Thoros (then beric) has.

In the book its explained that its a cheap trick used by Thoros before going into battle. He spreads something flammable on it and it makes the steel brittle and can only be done once maybe twice. 

But the show is just like "Thoros (and now beric) are magic and can make the sword go 'flame on/flame off' whenever they want for an unlimited number of times. 

1 hour ago, JonSleet said:

One small thing that really shows the difference between the thought that goes into the book compared to the show is the flaming sword Thoros (then beric) has.

In the book its explained that its a cheap trick used by Thoros before going into battle. He spreads something flammable on it and it makes the steel brittle and can only be done once maybe twice. 

But the show is just like "Thoros (and now beric) are magic and can make the sword go 'flame on/flame off' whenever they want for an unlimited number of times. 

Truth.

in-world rules only matter in the show if the show runners want them to. In other words, creatively it only makes sense to them so long as it doesn't get in the way of what they want to happen.

Tyrion and Varys are written as if by untalented teenagers. It shows the writers up badly when they have to try to write dialogue for clever characters without anything from GRRM to go off.

I was half enjoying the start right up until the first dialogue exchange.

2 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Green and bronze.

Personally I thought they finally made his color clear. I've had issues with the show differentiating them enough. Sure, there are hints of color for each of them, but they've all been so dark most of the time that you had to look hard to catch their colors. It's not the shade of green I've always envisioned Rhaegal, but he's not black with just hints of green anymore and I'm pretty happy about that.

I liked how Rhaegal looked, too. Last season, when Viserion died, I had to find out online, because I couldn't tell in that scene.

The show is so bad now that it reminds me of a B-tier drama film and even that is giving it praise. The extremely cliched, cringe inducing dialogue, the low budget high school acting. the sets, the plot, the lost complexity which GOT was once known for. Literally everything I can think of is bad. The only good thing I can say about this episode is Sam's scene (for once). And it mostly down to the actor giving a very good performance rather than anything else.

4 hours ago, JonSleet said:

That's Thoros trick, yes, but when Arya's with the brotherhood and witnesses the duel between Beric and the Hound, she sees the sword takes flame with Beric's blood. Even Gendry who explained to her in the book that Thoros was jsut using a trick calls it "magic" when Beric does it to light his sword for the duel against the Hound.

Me, I'm just annoyed that Beric's doing stuff he shouldn't be doing. He's long dead, for real, already. Dead in the Riverlands. And I cannot for the life of me see Lady Stoneheart going off on some wight hunt north of the Wall, or creep through halls of Last Hearth with a flaming sword.

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

That's Thoros trick, yes, but when Arya's with the brotherhood and witnesses the duel between Beric and the Hound, she sees the sword takes flame with Beric's blood. Even Gendry who explained to her in the book that Thoros was jsut using a trick calls it "magic" when Beric does it to light his sword for the duel against the Hound.

Me, I'm just annoyed that Beric's doing stuff he shouldn't be doing. He's long dead, for real, already. Dead in the Riverlands. And I cannot for the life of me see Lady Stoneheart going off on some wight hunt north of the Wall, or creep through halls of Last Hearth with a flaming sword.

The only reason Beric is still alive is that his flaming sword looks cool.  So they are going to milk the image of that not-a-light-sabre for all its worth.

The main reason I now resent this show is that it does exactly all the things the book was trying the deconstruct, like it's the antithesis of the books.  This is another example, in the books the flaming sword is shown to be a trick that uses image to manipulate people.  D&D cynically do what GRRM was trying to deconstruct, using the image of the flaming sword to manipulate their audience

2 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

That's true, but it's also mentioned in the book that fire ruins swords, so it's annoying to see Beric do that so often. And I imagine he no longer has feeling in his hands, considering he has to cut his hand to ignite the blade. Or is he using spit now?

13 hours ago, Pandean said:

The entire dragon scene did two things for me:

1. Make me go wtf is this fucking disney

2. Make my vertigo act up and I got really dizzy

I was thinking Harry Potter, Buckbeak, and the King of the World from Titanic.

Are D&D ever going to stop performing fellatio on Tyrion? They write him as a dumb schlock but still everyone has to apologize to him even when it makes no sense. He raked Theon over the coals for being mean to him when it was literally the opposite. Now Sansa has to apologize for running out of the Purple Wedding and leaving him behind. Seriously? The political prisoner forced to marry him has to apologize for running from her prison when she had the chance? Jesus F Christ.

2 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

I was thinking Harry Potter, Buckbeak, and the King of the World from Titanic.

Honestly, I sometimes get jealous because I can barely be in a car without getting violently ill, let alone ride Buckbeak or a dragon.

I wanna ride a fucking dragon.

1 hour ago, Mystical said:

Are D&D ever going to stop performing fellatio on Tyrion? They write him as a dumb schlock but still everyone has to apologize to him even when it makes no sense. He raked Theon over the coals for being mean to him when it was literally the opposite. Now Sansa has to apologize for running out of the Purple Wedding and leaving him behind. Seriously? The political prisoner forced to marry him has to apologize for running from her prison when she had the chance? Jesus F Christ.

Saint Tyrion is good. Saint Tyrion is God. 

But somehow he makes increasingly stupid decisions while also still getting praised for being smart and a favorite.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, Kajjo said:

What I don't like is that Daenerys expects Jon to be able to ride a dragon. Aren't only Targaryens supposed to do so? Does she know more about him? Or can anyone ride a dragon? This appears to be inconsistent. The dragon ride scenes were poorly made in my opinion. Unspectacular, on the border to boring. I expected more than that.

Daenerys is so secure in her role as the "mother of dragons" that she likely thinks that the dragon is obeying her by letting her man go for a ride. I don't think there's any reason to believe she knows more about Jon's parentage.  Her invitation is definitely a sign that she's  into him and that she really trusts him (maybe too much). I agree with a reddit comment I saw that the dragon riding scenes looked like an ad for a theme park ride. 

Jon riding a dragon early in the episode doesn't make much sense. If they were going to make Jon ride a dragon, it should have happened after he finds out about his birth parents. That way, the dragon riding has more impact on his character.

Tyrion and Varys have been completely reduced from politically savvy characters to comic relief. Ironically enough, their comedic moments aren't even funny. 

Lyanna Mormont is as insufferable as ever.

The whole Sansa vs Dany drama is such a waste of time. It's almost like Sansa vs Arya all over gain. Winterfell should really be called Winterhell.

Sansa is supposedly the smartest person and yet she's openly antagonizing someone who has two dragons and a large army. Doesn't sound like a very smart strategy to me. Book!Sansa knows how to use courtesy as her armor when she's making underhanded remarks towards someone.

Last season, Dany agreed to help the North and then Jon pledged himself to her. So how come this season Jon is claiming that it happened the other way around? Did the show writers just forget this detail?

Cersei wants to kill Jaime and Tyrion so why on earth would she send Bronn (who happens to be close to both her brothers)??

D&D continue to butcher Bran's character and use him as just a plot device.

Where is Ghost?

This is super nit-picky but it continues to bother me that some of the dialogue can be predicted a beat before the characters speak it.  Like the discussion between Tyrion, Varys and the Onion Knight about how the young only respect older folks to keep them at a distance because they are a reminder of an unpleasant truth.  

These three are supposed to be wise and witty, so the response (which I'm pretty sure came from Tyrion) asking "how so?" should have been completely unnecessary.  The implication of Varys' statement was obvious and Tyrion (or Davos) could have shown an ounce of brains by simply agreeing with Varys with the words "Nothing lasts".  It would have been a lot less pedantic for the audience, and would have had the same impact when voiced over the image of J & D, without making Tyrion look like an obtuse oaf. 

Ok, I get that Tyrion was feeling sensitive about being grouped in with the old men, but come on.  His character is getting more and more useless and my only hope is that this is meant to be a sign that his role as Dany's Hand has diminished him. He will hopefully come back to himself early in the season by switching loyalties.  

Archived