Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

For some reason I thought I was watching the Shrek sequel where he and his pals go to get Arthur from Boarding School. Only that movie was somewhat less painful and the animated characters displayed more emotional range.

Ok, sorry, but this is the rant thread, right?

The overall effect was like some third-rate Hollywood hacks had taken the characters from a wonderfully written epic fantasy set in a high medieval age and dropped them into a spoof in a high school setting, with cliché one liners, come-backs and bitch-fights in place of dialogue or plot development and any lack of a semblance of military, feudal or any other in-universe logic. 

Moments that had been years in anticipation - Jon bonding with a Dragon, Jon finding out about his parentage, Jon re-united with Arya, Sansa with Tyrion, you name it - each feel flatter than any of Tyrion's attempted puns.

I really hope George did not have to watch this travesty, but if he was really made to, bound and gagged, he must have been making a mental note to himself to kill off half of this cast of characters before the plot got to this point, if it ever gets to this point.

I think the Umber boy was actually the little boy from the 'Emperor with no clothes' and was about to scream out to all the cheer-leading reviewers across different media outlets "This is actually complete shit, innit", and so D&D had to actually kill him off. Like for real. Too much money at stake. What's one little boy when there's so much money at stake? Or whatever that saying was.

3 minutes ago, Nami said:

So, Kit Harrington threw a hissy fit and told people to "f*** off" for criticizing the new season because apparently since they worked hard on it, people are not supposed to say anything bad.

My god. This is what the world is coming to. 

1 hour ago, Nami said:

So, Kit Harrington threw a hissy fit and told people to "f*** off" for criticizing the new season because apparently since they worked hard on it, people are not supposed to say anything bad.

I'd rather he let people use their right to freedom of speech, that's only polite. But how about he uses some of the millions he made from this show to get acting lessons? Unless he wants to be in crap movies and shows for the rest of his life or typecast for that matter.

If they're not going to show Ghost, can we at least have him mentioned. I still don't understand how at least Drogon doesn't have a saddle. In the inside the episode HBO does D&D say only Targs can ride a dragon, no one in-world knows this? Jon riding a dragon should be a big moment, I kinda feel like they played it off as if it wasn't imo.  

Theon leaves dragonstone with one ship.. rescues Yara, now they suddenly have 3 ships.  Okay maybe they stole 2, Theon was shown with maybe 15 guys on dragonstone, so 5 guys per ship?  Yara plans to take the Iron Island with 15 guys? Then she tells Theon to go ahead and go to Winterfell, so he takes a rowboat Gendry style? A little finger jet pack? One of the 3 ships and man's it by himself? Or takes some of Yaras few guys she was going to invade the Iron islands with?

So many questions.. I'm confused! 

In talking to a friend and lamenting the absence of Ghost, we came up with a scenario we liked. Have Ghost trailing Jon and Dany as they approach the dragons. Ghost doesn't have to close enough to interact with them so the only CGI would be enlarging a dog. Perhaps he is apprehensive of the dragons and when Jon rides Rhaegal, we see Ghost running to follow and can't. It would underscore a theme they were trying to shove down our throat - Arya telling Jon not to forget his family. I mean, enlarging a dog with no one interacting with him is not too much of an ask, is it?

8 hours ago, Nami said:

Kit and 90% of the remaining cast will be instantly forgotten after the end of the series and he knows. Many tried and failed to root their acting skills outside of GOT...

8 hours ago, Mystical said:

I'd rather he let people use their right to freedom of speech, that's only polite. But how about he uses some of the millions he made from this show to get acting lessons? Unless he wants to be in crap movies and shows for the rest of his life or typecast for that matter.

he is terrible.  he'll probably be able to ride on the GoT coattails for awhile because he's OMGjonsnow but that will fade before you know it. he should just be grateful that he miraculously got this role when he didn't deserve it at all. 

5 hours ago, Gertrude said:

In talking to a friend and lamenting the absence of Ghost, we came up with a scenario we liked. Have Ghost trailing Jon and Dany as they approach the dragons. Ghost doesn't have to close enough to interact with them so the only CGI would be enlarging a dog. Perhaps he is apprehensive of the dragons and when Jon rides Rhaegal, we see Ghost running to follow and can't. It would underscore a theme they were trying to shove down our throat - Arya telling Jon not to forget his family. I mean, enlarging a dog with no one interacting with him is not too much of an ask, is it?

A scene like that would break my heart.:bawl: I'm pleased Ghost isn't in the show now - he'll be killed off as soon as he appears so no news is good news, imv.

15 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Err...of course they are. This is a story. It isn't a documentary you realise? :leer:

I'm not sure what your getting at. 

I know what a story is... the King's Landing storyline doesn't feel like it has any focus or direction. 

A well written story should feel like it has focus and direction even if the reader doesn't know where or what that is. 

It just feels like they are killing time. 

So many things but number one has to be how easily Jon believed Sam. I know they are friends but he shouldn't have believed him. He should have been calling him a liar, claiming he was saying it because he was mad about his dad and brother dying even though that was their own fault, or demanding proof. The red priestesses admit to making mistakes. Bran could have done the same. But he didn't even mention Bran so Jon should have asked for some kind of evidence of this.  Bran's visions aren't enough and all Sam had was proof of the annulment. That isn't proof at all. This reminds me of how everyone believed Littlefinger's crimes without any evidence.

So lots of problems with the episode. No Ghost, Jorah doesn't get a scene with Lyanna Mormont,  the pointless brothel bit, no snow in kings landing, no storms or blizzards in the north. (The Walking Dead did winter far better on their first try recently), Jon being able to ride a dragon as if it's as easy as getting on a horse, Jamie arriving without any Lannister soldiers, Danerys not bringing any food supplies at all.

So many things but for what is one of the biggest moments ever, they really messed up. They had better bring Meera and Howland Reed in the next episode of very soon. At least he can provide proof of this.

And great to be here. LTRFTW. I loved this topic in season 7 and was determined to join in this time. So many people fail to see the shows faults but this thread is heavenly. Nice to read from some smart people

1 hour ago, Ghostlydragon said:

But he didn't even mention Bran

He did mention Bran. He explicitly says "I found it the books, and Bran... whatever he does" or something like that.

Jon should have asked for some kind of evidence of this

That's true. We will see how this pans out.

So lots of problems with the episode. No Ghost

No Ghost might be a pity for some fans, but certainly not "a problem". That is ridiculous.

Jorah doesn't get a scene with Lyanna Mormont

We had so many hasted reunions, I am glad there hadn't been even more. Be a little bit more patient. By the way, most probably Lyanna and Jorah never knew each other, so it's not a reunion anyway. This is actually somehow unimportant. We know that Lyanna will be sceptical about Jorah.

Jon being able to ride a dragon as if it's as easy as getting on a horse

True, I didn't like that either.

Jamie arriving without any Lannister soldiers,

That's fine, because in S7 he left alone and on his own. No one expected Lannister soldiers with him.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Am I right that no one in the show has mentioned that all the men of House Frey were mysteriously killed by an unknown assassin? This isn't news, either in WF or KL? 

I believe Jaime mentioned all the Freys getting killed in season 7 to Cersei. Outside of that, I don't think its been mentioned.

Where do i start, when Dany finds out about her dragon i expected some anger and rage and talk of revenge but instead we get to see Dany flexing her face muscles. Later when Jon meets Dany i expected him to show some sympathy and say some kind words to her because he got Viserion killed but we get nothing. The most anticipated reunion felt slow and empty, i expected some real emotion and some talk about them against the world but instead Arya tells Jon that Sansa is the smartest person she ever known which we all know is dragonshit infact Arya herself is smarter than Sansa, As for Jon riding a dragon it felt really forced for no reason, i expected that event to be on a more serious situation, maybe like when Day having trouble fighting weight and Jon was forced to go through it. And the reveal about Jon was dissapointing, i was like come on Jon show some emotion, question yourself, wonder about the things you went through in you life or the fact that you fucked your aunt, i don't know maybe wake the fucking dragon, instead they started talking about who the ruler should be. What a letdown.

So Jon expects the Northerners to forget all about titles because they don't matter but it's fine that Dany prances around proclaiming to be Queen and expecting everyone to treat her as such. So he didn't give her a speech about how titles don't matter in an apocalypse with ice zombies? Can his girlfriend get away with literally anything while he expects everyone else to operate on a different level?

He disses his siter, he doesn't mind his girlfriend threatening family, he's fine with his girlfriend burning people, he expects everyone to forget their titles except his girlfriend, he doesn't care about his faithful friend (remember Ghost? no?) because he prefers dragons now, he still doesn't understand how to deal with people or what micro-management is. And people want this guy to be King?

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Am I right that no one in the show has mentioned that all the men of House Frey were mysteriously killed by an unknown assassin? This isn't news, either in WF or KL? 

All characters are just props on the show, once used, they are discards by the writers, and completely forgotten by everyone else in the show.

Has anyone Stark mentioned Rickon? Has Jon ever mentioned him executing a boy as young as Olly and show any kind of effect of doing something like that?  Davos completely forgot about Shireen when he teams up with Melisandre, only to remember it briefly and then never mentions it again afterwards.

Archived