Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

On 4/16/2019 at 5:13 PM, Ser Hedge said:

... I really hope George did not have to watch this travesty ...

Well, he was happily photographed and interviewed at the Radio City Music Hall NYC premiere, a week before the episode went up on HBO. 

Now, it cannot be guaranteed whether he watched it or not, unless one was sitting with him the theater, which I wasn't -- but evidently others who were confirm that he watched it. :)

On 4/16/2019 at 5:21 PM, UnViserion said:

So, Kit Harrington threw a hissy fit and told people to "f*** off" for criticizing the new season because apparently since they worked hard on it, people are not supposed to say anything bad.

Sounds like college students -- how dare you give my paper a C?  I worked and worked and worked and my mother says it's great!  (But if they really had worked that hard, and followed the guidelines -- and wrote complete sentences, had structure and coherent organization, spell checked and fact checked -- the paper would show it, and the paper does not show it, but how dare the professor not agree?)

Let Theon swim to White Harbor and march to Winterfell with some Mermaids and some of those real Frey pies!

Also could Varys be any more useless? Littlefinger after the beginning of Season 5 became an idiot and Varys is not far off.

This piece in The New York Magazine attempts to grapple with the White Walkers and what their meaning and purpose are.  It should be interesting to the GOT's audience:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/game-of-thrones-horror-ned-umber-death.html

These are the final two paragraphs:

The obvious analogue here is, once again, “Hardhome.” After Jon Snow escapes to the sea with the few living humans (and one giant) who survived the onslaught of the dead, they look back at the battlefield, where the Night King stands triumphant. But he’s not done with them yet. Staring right at Jon, the Night King raises his arms — and suddenly all the people who’d been slaughtered during the chaotic struggle we’d just witnessed simply get back up and stare at Jon along with him. All those people were once alive and free, with their own hopes and dreams and fears and biases and hatreds and loves. The Night King murdered them. Then he raised his arms and brought them back, erasing everything they used to be in the process. It’s an awesome sight, in a near-biblical sense: a complete and total perversion of the tragedy that has just taken place, on a scale that visibly boggles the survivors’ minds.

All three of these tactics — the slaughter of the innocent, the desecration and objectification of the human body, the perversion of death into a mockery of life — are nailed right up there on the wall of the Last Hearth for all to see. The creators of Game of Thrones have developed a unique favored strain of horror with which to offset both the grandiosity of the show’s fantasy trappings and the down-and-dirty realpolitik of its story line, one that speaks directly to its core ideas about our common humanity and the way we threaten and betray it. Tormund & Co. can burn it away for now, but Game of Thrones is all but guaranteed to return to this well before the closing credits roll for a final time, and drink fuller than ever.

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

This piece in The New York Magazine attempts to grapple with the White Walkers and what their meaning and purpose are.  It should be interesting to the GOT's audience:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/game-of-thrones-horror-ned-umber-death.html

These are the final two paragraphs:

Great article. 

13 minutes ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

Great article. 

This is someone who analyzes both book and show writing in a sensible, intelligent, informed manner.  The author hasn't forgotten that essential element of GRRM's writing, which is he's a horror writer, more than he is anything else.  He's not a natural epic fantasy writer -- he was never interested in this before he began the AOIAF research into what it takes to make a successful epic fantasy.

Ultimately, GOT is a horror project -- not a project about romance, which so many seem to think it is as they beat relentlessly on who pairs with whom at the end.  Nope.  This is horror, not romance!

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Hilarious as usual.

I didn't know the show decided to make Dickon Tarly older than Sam. What stupidity. Or is Jacobs wrong about this one?

Didn't watch the video, but Sam's out of the running due to his vows so age wouldn't matter anyway. I can't remember if Sam mentioned it when he was telling Jon his life story in season 1.

1. Arya declaring Sansa the smartest person she knows.  As twisted as Arya has become, she's been the smartest of the Starks in that she's been put in terrible situations and came up with the solutions herself.  Not a fan of declaring traits on a character they haven't earned, in particuler at the expense of other character´s development.   

2.  Potential issue in the future.   Lord Tarley didn't just side against Danny he sided with queen C who had just blown up the Sept along with most of the Tyrell's to raid against the last Tyrell and the last of her loyal banner men.   He was lucky he got the offer he did.  I don't think there'll be time to revisit, but  I have a hard time believing Sam didn't hear of this sooner.  

To be fair  I did like the episode  overall .

2 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Didn't watch the video, but Sam's out of the running due to his vows so age wouldn't matter anyway. I can't remember if Sam mentioned it when he was telling Jon his life story in season 1.

That mistake was supposedly in behind the show video. It´s just that Dickon being older would mean that Sam would never have to join NW in the first place.

Well then that's just sloppy on the part of whoever did the behind the scenes. This is an example of the lack of care with the story that really fucking bugs me. Now I have to figure out who said that because if the writers can't even bother to keep shit this easy straight, then fuck those assholes.

3 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Well then that's just sloppy on the part of whoever did the behind the scenes. This is an example of the lack of care with the story that really fucking bugs me. Now I have to figure out who said that because if the writers can't even bother to keep shit this easy straight, then fuck those assholes.

I think it was Weiss...

On 4/15/2019 at 4:39 AM, riffwraith said:

Why was Jamie's hair darker? Was this intentionally done, but at the same time a 'read between the lines' sorta thing, now that he has gone his separate way from Cersi? (Even tho one's hair would not darken b/c of that).

His hair has been getting steadily darker for several seasons now. I do think it is supposed to be symbolic of his separation from Cersei. It is jarring to look back on the first season where the Lannister's bright blonde hair was the key to the entire main plot.

Archived