Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

As someone else said, Show Cersei is boring.  She's been doing the same thing for years now.  A long, blank stare, speaking in a contained monotone, gritting her teeth as if every word is a chore. Lena is a good actress and she has been good in the show, but since the walk of shame her character is totally one note, one note, all the time, never changing. In fact, she acts now, fairly similarly to Dany in that she has a regal air, long vacant stare, the only difference is that at least Dany is still somewhat interesting in that she continues to pontificate on her right to rule and demand that everyone bend the knee or else.  LOL.

Daenerys should have been absolutely devastated when she found out the Night King has Viserion. It’s bad enough that the enemy has one of the most lethal weapons in the world. But, to know that he’s your baby, and he was turned evil against his will. And that in order to survive, you will have to kill him. OMG, this should have been a much bigger deal. 

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

No one on the show has normal reactions.  They hear something SHOCKING, and the camera pans back, while they stare into space, they don't react, or speak.  They're just there for the slow motion fade out.

Count Sam out. He gets very emotional. Also Euron has several expressions and reactions.

31 minutes ago, Greenmonsterff said:

Daenerys should have been absolutely devastated when she found out the Night King has Viserion. It’s bad enough that the enemy has one of the most lethal weapons in the world. But, to know that he’s your baby, and he was turned evil against his will. And that in order to survive, you will have to kill him. OMG, this should have been a much bigger deal. 

Agreed, this one could be redeemed by how she reacts when she see's him.

It's a cliché moment in virtually every "zombie" story that someone hesitates to act because the zombie was someone they care about.

25 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

Count Sam out. He gets very emotional. Also Euron has several expressions and reactions.

And every expression seems to be a variation on the proverbial perverted teenager discovering a new way to make inappropriate comments or gestures.

7 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Sad.  And even though the show took out the Kettleblacks, we still had Show Cersei in season 2 telling Sansa how women can use sex to get what they want...but this element completely dropped out, as you say, so much so, that the actress doesn't believe the character she plays would use sex to get what she wants.  Of all the things for the actress to fight against, that was it.  Sad.  Also, it's sad that she plays Cersei not as the wild, tempestuous, paranoid character we had started to see at the Blackwater ep, but as a totally muted, whispering, one note, blank staring, emotionless automaton. Also sad.

It's sad how little the cast understands their own characters.  D&D doesn't understand them (or better yet they do and think they can write them better) and most of the actors haven't even read the books.  

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

No one on the show has normal reactions.  They hear something SHOCKING, and the camera pans back, while they stare into space, they don't react, or speak.  They're just there for the slow motion fade out.

Also, the actors in the background, and I'm not talking about extras, often have blank stares. They speak their lines, then they space out, no longer part of the scene. That's more the director's fault, probably, but it would be nice if the ones with experience showed they were still engaged.

8 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Sad.  And even though the show took out the Kettleblacks, we still had Show Cersei in season 2 telling Sansa how women can use sex to get what they want...but this element completely dropped out, as you say, so much so, that the actress doesn't believe the character she plays would use sex to get what she wants.  Of all the things for the actress to fight against, that was it.  Sad.  Also, it's sad that she plays Cersei not as the wild, tempestuous, paranoid character we had started to see at the Blackwater ep, but as a totally muted, whispering, one note, blank staring, emotionless automaton. Also sad.

Show Cersei hasn't really used her sex for intrigue. Aside from speculatively when it looked like Stannis might sack King's Landing. And retrospectively, with her husband the king. The time we've known her she's either had Jaime, used a Jaime stand-in, or abstained. But now she doesn't have Jaime, and apparently wants him dead. 

Urine clearly doesn't get the better part of the deal. He was a bit pathetic. "Was it good for you? It was good, right? Right? Why aren't you talking?"

3 hours ago, Deminelle said:

Urine is alive as a person, but he's completely wrong. Like a character from Rock of Ages who sings lead in a pirate-themed band instead of a monarch in a medieval fantasy drama. 

2 hours ago, teemo said:

It's sad how little the cast understands their own characters.  D&D doesn't understand them (or better yet they do and think they can write them better) and most of the actors haven't even read the books.  

I wouldn't expect actors to read anything besides their scripts. And those could be read to them. They have to understand certain things beyond the words given them to speak, okay, but they are just actors. Tools in the hands of people who should know better. 

I finally managed to set some time apart to watch EP 1 of Season 8 and.....
...I'm not sure how I feel about it considering how much I loved the show once...
... but I don't care anymore.

Everything and everyone I liked about the show is either gone, dead or bent beyond recognition and has been for a long, long time. Cersei is jut one good example, she was an itneresting and layered character once, now she's boring and has ugly dresses.
But everything is kidna crap these days. How is Sansa the smartest person Arya has met? The series never allowed her to have the character arc that would have allowed her to grow (instead they had her raped) How can Tyrion and Jon be so foolish? Even Daenerys doesn't have the fire and presence she used to have, now she's intimidated and stared down by unwashed, Northern Smallfolk!
The magic is just gone, and it has been gone since season 5.
I'm just glad when it's over at this point...  

28 minutes ago, darmody said:

I wouldn't expect actors to read anything besides their scripts. And those could be read to them. They have to understand certain things beyond the words given them to speak, okay, but they are just actors. Tools in the hands of people who should know better. 

I'm pretty sure that Alfie Allen is one of the only ones to have read the books and I always thought he was one of the better actors who really understood his character.  That's the only thing that made me even think of that. 

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

As someone else said, Show Cersei is boring.  She's been doing the same thing for years now.  A long, blank stare, speaking in a contained monotone, gritting her teeth as if every word is a chore. Lena is a good actress and she has been good in the show, but since the walk of shame her character is totally one note, one note, all the time, never changing. In fact, she acts now, fairly similarly to Dany in that she has a regal air, long vacant stare, the only difference is that at least Dany is still somewhat interesting in that she continues to pontificate on her right to rule and demand that everyone bend the knee or else.  LOL.

Agree, but you forgot turn her head sideways.  She almost never delivers a line without turning her head sideways.

On the actors not understanding their characters, Stephen Dillane (Stannis) said as much when he left the show.  He never understood what he was doing.  That is 100% on the directors and (more so in this case) the show runners.  They few times we've heard actors actually give honest answers (rather than the scripted cliches you hear in every press setting), it's clear they are not given much direction

4 hours ago, Greenmonsterff said:

they were too busy with CGI and Jonerys date scene.

52 minutes ago, legba11 said:

Stephen Dillane (Stannis) said as much when he left the show.  He never understood what he was doing.  That is 100% on the directors and (more so in this case) the show runners.  They few times we've heard actors actually give honest answers (rather than the scripted cliches you hear in every press setting), it's clear they are not given much direction

What could they tell him about what Stannis was doing? They didn't know themselves. He was just a guy whom they had to get out of the way, like a kidney stone. 

7 minutes ago, darmody said:

What could they tell him about what Stannis was doing? They didn't know themselves. He was just a guy whom they had to get out of the way, like a kidney stone. 

the unsullied don't even remember most of the characters that were on this show

1 hour ago, Nami said:

the unsullied don't even remember most of the characters that were on this show

Lol yup 

many of my unsullied friends honestly try hard to keep up with the characters.. but still EASILY forget a third of the important characters who did big things but weren’t headliners.

Archived