Jump to content
teemo

Rant and Rave Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, A man doesn't have a name said:

Folk got his nipple sliced off and didn't even flinch, surely a bad whether shouldn't be that hard to handle.

I mean, it's not like it's just a snowstorm.

I figure that even Unsullied can succumb to hypothermia like everyone else. They may be able to ignore the symptoms/pain/etc. of things but they're still only human.

I don't expect them to be shivering cowards in the cold or whatever because there's no doubt they know how to endure but as people who probably have never seen snow and also are wearing Essosi-style desert armor, well, they're still only human.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I got another thing to rant about:

 

I really disliked how in the Jon/Arya reunion Jon tries to talk smack about Sansa behind her back to Arya. The way he acts in that scene is also a little patronizing to Arya, herself. Or at least, I read the body language as such. In general I was expecting....more for their reunion.cc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sandor and Arya's reunion just seemed off.  I figured they'd be decent with each other out of mutual respect, sure trade insults, with a grin at the end and walk off or something.  I kept waiting for a grin or smile or something.. nope.. just insults and then they parted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Oh, I got another thing to rant about:

 

I really disliked how in the Jon/Arya reunion Jon tries to talk smack about Sansa behind her back to Arya. The way he acts in that scene is also a little patronizing to Arya, herself. Or at least, I read the body language as such. In general I was expecting....more for their reunion.cc

Almost like he was trying to pull a littlefinger and split them up.  Wonder if he knows about poor poor littlefingers demise yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reunion that I liked was the one with Yara and Theon.  All of Arya's much anticipated reunions, especially with Jon were a let down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Oh, I got another thing to rant about:

 

I really disliked how in the Jon/Arya reunion Jon tries to talk smack about Sansa behind her back to Arya. The way he acts in that scene is also a little patronizing to Arya, herself. Or at least, I read the body language as such. In general I was expecting....more for their reunion.cc

Agreed I really hoped for more from their reunion, suddenly Jons talking Sansa smack and Arya is defending. It goes back to my biggest rant about the whole episode ... it was awkward!!

 

This was seriously one of the most awkward episodes of any shows I've ever watched. So many moments just cringing, no idea if that was intentional or not. I mean in some cases I think so like Dany being the one to tell Sam about his family, but man just awkward. Dany meeting Sansa = awkward , Bran and everyone = awkward , Jon and Arya = awkward, Arya and hound = a bit awkward, Everyone giving Jon shit for bringing Dany and bending the knee = awkward, Bran and Jaimie = super awkward, Dragon riding, then stoping in front of cave and reference to the whole Ygritte in a cave and then Drogon mean mugging Jon while they kissed = awkward, Sam telling Jon his ancestry and the whole incest angle in Jons mind = awkward, there were more too. It was like an episode of The Office where Michael Scott just created situations and said things that you had to watch but kind of wanted to look away.

Highlights I think were Arya and Gendry (loved the flirting), and  I'm glad they at least finally told Jon about the whole ancestry thing, maybe wasn't the best way of doing it but at least its out there now (though I cringed at the whole new level of awkwardness this will bring with him and Dany), and glad Tormund still around (though knew he survived the wall since he was in the trailers). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The only reunion that I liked was the one with Yara and Theon.  All of Arya's much anticipated reunions, especially with Jon were a let down.  

I actually loved that too. I think they're one of my favorite sibling pairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bradam said:

Almost like he was trying to pull a littlefinger and split them up.  Wonder if he knows about poor poor littlefingers demise yet.

It's almost like he expected things to be back to when they were children and they would make fun of Sansa or belittle her interests/etc. Which, imo, they did. Sansa wasn't the only bratty child in the beginning.

tbh I've grown to like Arya less throughout the series but at that moment I really fucking loved her. Like, yes, defend your pack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, nymeria_2321 said:

Agreed I really hoped for more from their reunion, suddenly Jons talking Sansa smack and Arya is defending. It goes back to my biggest rant about the whole episode ... it was awkward!!

 

This was seriously one of the most awkward episodes of any shows I've ever watched. So many moments just cringing, no idea if that was intentional or not. I mean in some cases I think so like Dany being the one to tell Sam about his family, but man just awkward. Dany meeting Sansa = awkward , Bran and everyone = awkward , Jon and Arya = awkward, Arya and hound = a bit awkward, Everyone giving Jon shit for bringing Dany and bending the knee = awkward, Bran and Jaimie = super awkward, Dragon riding, then stoping in front of cave and reference to the whole Ygritte in a cave and then Drogon mean mugging Jon while they kissed = awkward, Sam telling Jon his ancestry and the whole incest angle in Jons mind = awkward, there were more too. It was like an episode of The Office where Michael Scott just created situations and said things that you had to watch but kind of wanted to look away.

Highlights I think were Arya and Gendry (loved the flirting), and  I'm glad they at least finally told Jon about the whole ancestry thing, maybe wasn't the best way of doing it but at least its out there now (though I cringed at the whole new level of awkwardness this will bring with him and Dany), and glad Tormund still around (though knew he survived the wall since he was in the trailers). 

The entire dragon scene did two things for me:

1. Make me go wtf is this fucking disney

2. Make my vertigo act up and I got really dizzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pandean said:

I mean, it's not like it's just a snowstorm.

I figure that even Unsullied can succumb to hypothermia like everyone else. They may be able to ignore the symptoms/pain/etc. of things but they're still only human.

I don't expect them to be shivering cowards in the cold or whatever because there's no doubt they know how to endure but as people who probably have never seen snow and also are wearing Essosi-style desert armor, well, they're still only human.

It's a good point. Also, I presume all these people are camping as no fortified city would be able to accommodate them all. Doesn't sound like the best way to keep warm, although Wildlings seemed to have had it sorted. Maybe is time the Unsullied get some fur coats, except that there are not nearly enough beasts around to provide all that. Better keep moving, folks. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's incredible how D&D and writers are not able to write a single dialogue that is longer than two minutes. Since passing the books the characters all speak in topics, with short sentences, feels like everyone is dumber and they try to hide this by making the lines sparse and short. They take every single opportunity to avoid conversation, like in Theon's little rescue mission. There was no way they could write an interesting moment, so they made a little joke, just like the first scene with Tyrion and Varys.

Edited by Saturno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Saturno said:

It's incredible how D&D and writers are not able to write a single dialogue that is longer than two minutes. Since passing the books the characters all speak in topics, with short sentences, feels like everyone is dumber and they try to hide this by making the lines sparse and short. They take every single opportunity to avoid conversation, like in Theon's little rescue mission. There was no way they could write an interesting moment, so they made a little joke, just like the first scene with Tyrion and Varys.

This is the problem with the dialogue now. It isn't dialogue. It consists of 2 people shooting one liners at each other.. except nobody is every witty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first inclination is that this is just a writing problem and thus a rant, but it might be something more. I've mistaken bad writing for something more before. 

In the Cersei/Euron scene in the throne room, there's a lot of back and forth about what's owed, payment and whatnot. In the next scene, Qyburn says that Cersei wants him to kill Tyrion and Jaime should they not die in battle. Qyburn says Cersei always pays upfront and in gold, except we just saw that she doesn't. She will pay later, and sometimes pays in other things than gold, like sex. 

We also see no signs that Cersei is angry at Tyrion and Jaime. On the contrary, she seems lonely and sad. Euron's mention of Jaime doesn't raise anything resembling murderous feelings. 

Qyburn gets a few camera shots in this episode where we're supposed to notice what he's thinking. So, assuming it's not just bad writing, maybe this is all on Qyburn and he's going behind Cersei's back. The payment discrepancy was the clue. 

That scene also supplied a possible motive: Qyburn reminds us that he's nothing if he's not Cersei's hand, so he would want to ensure she stays in power. He's shocked that she gave in to Euron meaning she's vulnerable, and perhaps Jaime and Tyrion could return and sway her in a way that doesn't benefit Qyburn. 


 

Or it's just crap writing :dunno:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A man doesn't have a name said:

It's a good point. Also, I presume all these people are camping as no fortified city would be able to accommodate them all. Doesn't sound like the best way to keep warm, although Wildlings seemed to have had it sorted. Maybe is time the Unsullied get some fur coats, except that there are not nearly enough beasts around to provide all that. Better keep moving, folks. :D

Too bad they can't get warm in the traditional Wildling way. 

Which reminds me, I swear if we get another cringey non-sex sex scene between Grey Worm and Missandei I will scream. 

But yeah. Like dudes, I know you're all super soldiers and whatnot but throw on some furs! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saturno said:

It's incredible how D&D and writers are not able to write a single dialogue that is longer than two minutes. Since passing the books the characters all speak in topics, with short sentences, feels like everyone is dumber and they try to hide this by making the lines sparse and short. They take every single opportunity to avoid conversation, like in Theon's little rescue mission. There was no way they could write an interesting moment, so they made a little joke, just like the first scene with Tyrion and Varys.

When I think back on the first few seasons, I remember catchy phrases, one-liners, and exchanges. But mostly it was stuff that on the surface was whatever you'd expect a person in that situation with that background might say when faced with such things. Nothing remarkable in itself. 

But it might as well have been Shakespeare compared to this. Because every other element of the story--plot, character, theme, setting, and so on--was worked out ahead of time. And I want to emphasize work, because it worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, storm.131 said:

Was I the only one who thought Rhaegal was more green than gold?

Nope. I thought so too.

But I thought it was Viserion who was white and gold. Rhaegal was green and....something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green and bronze.

Personally I thought they finally made his color clear. I've had issues with the show differentiating them enough. Sure, there are hints of color for each of them, but they've all been so dark most of the time that you had to look hard to catch their colors. It's not the shade of green I've always envisioned Rhaegal, but he's not black with just hints of green anymore and I'm pretty happy about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×