Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

4 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Not true.

Only true blondes stay blonde until they get old at which point it turns grey and then white (or sometimes, straight to white)

I always took Tyrion's change of hair color to be a sign of aging. Jaime? I didn't notice his hair this season but it seems like a seasonal change (which also happens in real life) because his hair was still pretty blonde in seasons 5 and 6.d

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

All the Lannisters are true blondes.  Jamie's hair is supposed to be golden, like Joff's and Cersei's.  Not the dull, dirty blonde it has been for many seasons.

The Lannister siblings being secret Targs confirmed. :P Cersei is obviously dyeing hers.

The next Grand Maester writing the 2nd edition of the Genealogy of the Great Houses "Ser Jaime Lannister, blonde of hair. Later in life, brown of hair"

Oh my god, the hair discussion. Tyrion hasn't been blonde for a while because he looks terrible as a blonde. Jaime has had shorter hair which doesn't look as blonde as his longer hair. The quick look at him we had this episode was heavily color corrected to give the typical Northern look - it's heavily blue and dark. I remember the same issue with Melisandre and I saw a few reactors be confused that her hair wasn't red anymore. It was - it was just color corrected to hell and back.

Between this and the spiral symbol of the White Walkers and WHAT IT ALL MEANS! I'm so ready for this season to be done so I don't have to watch people running down rabbit holes that the show introduces because the show is sloppy.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, Citadel_acolyte said:

Daenerys is so secure in her role as the "mother of dragons" that she likely thinks that the dragon is obeying her by letting her man go for a ride. I don't think there's any reason to believe she knows more about Jon's parentage.  Her invitation is definitely a sign that she's  into him and that she really trusts him (maybe too much). I agree with a reddit comment I saw that the dragon riding scenes looked like an ad for a theme park ride. 

The dragons read Danny's Dream Book, and if that fails to clear a potential rider, they inspect nasally certain areas of a person's body for signs of m'Lady. 

On 4/16/2019 at 3:55 PM, Citadel_acolyte said:

This is super nit-picky but it continues to bother me that some of the dialogue can be predicted a beat before the characters speak it.  Like the discussion between Tyrion, Varys and the Onion Knight about how the young only respect older folks to keep them at a distance because they are a reminder of an unpleasant truth.  

These three are supposed to be wise and witty, so the response (which I'm pretty sure came from Tyrion) asking "how so?" should have been completely unnecessary.  The implication of Varys' statement was obvious and Tyrion (or Davos) could have shown an ounce of brains by simply agreeing with Varys with the words "Nothing lasts".  It would have been a lot less pedantic for the audience, and would have had the same impact when voiced over the image of J & D, without making Tyrion look like an obtuse oaf. 

Ok, I get that Tyrion was feeling sensitive about being grouped in with the old men, but come on.  His character is getting more and more useless and my only hope is that this is meant to be a sign that his role as Dany's Hand has diminished him. He will hopefully come back to himself early in the season by switching loyalties.  

On the bright side, it prompted me to start singing Stay Gold. 

On 4/16/2019 at 4:12 PM, UnViserion said:

Not a single scene of Dany mourning the loss of one of her dragons, one of her children, to the Night King

To be fair, we got her dumb blank stare while it happened. Which was enough, if you have important testicle jokes to get to. 

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but apparently Lena Headey didn't like the fact that Cersei wouldn't have sex with Euron to keep him loyal.

“I kept saying, ‘She wouldn’t, she wouldn’t, that she would keep fighting,’” Headey tells EW. “But [showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] obviously know what they’re doing and were adamant Cersei would do what she had to do.”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/15/game-of-thrones-lena-headey-cersei-euron/

This is what D&D has done to the character, altering her so much that a notable element of her personality feels out of character to the actor who has been playing her for 8 seasons. That's about as damning a statement as I could think of.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:56 PM, Gertrude said:

In talking to a friend and lamenting the absence of Ghost, we came up with a scenario we liked. Have Ghost trailing Jon and Dany as they approach the dragons. Ghost doesn't have to close enough to interact with them so the only CGI would be enlarging a dog. Perhaps he is apprehensive of the dragons and when Jon rides Rhaegal, we see Ghost running to follow and can't. It would underscore a theme they were trying to shove down our throat - Arya telling Jon not to forget his family. I mean, enlarging a dog with no one interacting with him is not too much of an ask, is it?

I honestly don't understand what's so complicated and expensive about these beasts. Is it animating the little hairs?

Get a big dog. A real one. Shoot him in forced perspective to make him appear bigger than he is. Boom. That's it. 

Dogs are highly trainable and human-friendly. 

The audience doesn't really know what direwolves are supposed to look like. And if it doesn't match previous seasons, who cares? Some of the sets from season one could have been from a basic cable show from 1996. 

24 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

If Arya and Gendry become a couple, how would Starks take the news of Gendry possibly being Cersei's son as well as Robert's? Is there any reason to stretch the plot to involve Cersei?

There really isn't any reason, except that long ago Cersei mentioned something about a dark-haired child who died. If that was Gendry, some elaborate scheme was employed to trick Robert, Cersei, or both. To what end? Do that the Crown Prince could be a blacksmith apprentice on the Mean Streets, then get shuffled around a bunch of different armed gangs, only to be almost killed by his uncle and take a mystical boat trip beyond science and probability. 

20 minutes ago, darmody said:

There really isn't any reason, except that long ago Cersei mentioned something about a dark-haired child who died.

That was Cersei's narration of what happened.

The WIKI is a bit more clear about what happened to her dark-haired-boy.... (although this is book canon).

On one occasion, early in her marriage, Cersei became pregnant by Robert. Unwilling to give birth to Robert's child, she sent Jaime out to find a woman to cleanse her. Having grown to resent Robert over the years, Cersei took further care to ensure he did not impregnate her

10 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Guys, guys, we're way over-thinking this whole hair thing.  C'mon!  Jaime finally picked up some Just For KnightsTM hair dye!  He's gettin' a little self-conscious about all that gray hair.  There's really no more to it than that:P

Best viewer-provided explanation yet! :lol:

This show is so lazy, they rely on people to fill everything in with their own explanations.

If you asked the showrunners they'd just say, oh, are Lannisters supposed to have blonde hair?

1 hour ago, Elayis said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but apparently Lena Headey didn't like the fact that Cersei wouldn't have sex with Euron to keep him loyal.

“I kept saying, ‘She wouldn’t, she wouldn’t, that she would keep fighting,’” Headey tells EW. “But [showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] obviously know what they’re doing and were adamant Cersei would do what she had to do.”

This is what D&D has done to the character, altering her so much that a notable element of her personality feels out of character to the actor who has been playing her for 8 seasons. That's about as damning a statement as I could think of.

Sad.  And even though the show took out the Kettleblacks, we still had Show Cersei in season 2 telling Sansa how women can use sex to get what they want...but this element completely dropped out, as you say, so much so, that the actress doesn't believe the character she plays would use sex to get what she wants.  Of all the things for the actress to fight against, that was it.  Sad.  Also, it's sad that she plays Cersei not as the wild, tempestuous, paranoid character we had started to see at the Blackwater ep, but as a totally muted, whispering, one note, blank staring, emotionless automaton. Also sad.

Adaptional complaints aside, the Cersei of the most recent seasons is simply a boring character to watch. You'd think with the level of praise her performance received that D&D would give better material to work with to show off her range. Just like with Coster-Waldau, what a waste of a talented actor. Cersei was never more fun than in "Blackwater," and I imagine the reason why they never again referenced her behavior from that episode was because Martin wrote it.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Sad.  And even though the show took out the Kettleblacks, we still had Show Cersei in season 2 telling Sansa how women can use sex to get what they want...but this element completely dropped out, as you say, so much so, that the actress doesn't believe the character she plays would use sex to get what she wants.  Of all the things for the actress to fight against, that was it.  Sad.  Also, it's sad that she plays Cersei not as the wild, tempestuous, paranoid character we had started to see at the Blackwater ep, but as a totally muted, whispering, one note, blank staring, emotionless automaton. Also sad.

Benioff and Weiss turned all the characters into themselves via the actors. So what we see is what they would do if they were the actor, and the actor doing what they would do if they were the character. The character is lost in all of this.

On 4/18/2019 at 3:36 AM, Corvinus said:

Hilarious as usual.

I didn't know the show decided to make Dickon Tarly older than Sam. What stupidity. Or is Jacobs wrong about this one?

Nope. Dickon's younger than Sam and a kid of about Arya's age in the books.

3 hours ago, Elayis said:

Well, when it comes to book-Cersei I disagree with Lena. Cersei uses sex as a weapon, and always has. Even in aFfC, she beds men and women as payment for what she requires of them, despite the fact that she's the de facto ruler as regent of Tommen, not having to deal with Kevan (who left KL), etc. On the other hand, book-Cersei also has no real enjoyment of sex, except when it is with someone who in some way mirrors her (Jaime because he's her twin, or the woman because she's a woman). So, I can see her wanting more power and independence from sexually favouring someone she regards to be beneath her.

In that sense, I think show-Cersei giving into Euron is partially a plotzee from aFfC when she gives into a male character wanting it for all the traitorous acts he's about to do and has set in motion. If in the speculative book-future Cersei were to be queen of Westeros in her own name, not as regent, rid of sons and Tyrells, I can imagine book-Cersei would believe herself to be free from having to pay with sex, only to end up back in a situation where a man of lesser station in her eyes demands it of her in order to preserve an alliance. Book-Cersei would do it and be deeply disturbed internally that she cannot escape this even in such a position of "power". It is an effective way to show book-Cersei how power cannot stand on its own.

The problem is that the show has never delved into this aspect of Cersei: Robert's marital "rights" were rape and duty of a wife, Jaime a narcissistic love, Lancel a physical replacement of Jaime while he was captive. Can't remember but did she try to seduce Ned somewhat during her private conversatoin with him when he told her he knew Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella were Jaime's not Robert's? In any case, show-Cersei was never really portrayed as using sex as a weapon, only that she gets turned on when learning of a defeat of one of her enemies in s7. And so it makes much less sense for show-Cersei to give into an ally such as Euron sexually. 

I was ok with it, because it fits book-Cersei's relation towards sex way more. Except she wouldn't be shedding a tear and look heartbroken after it, when alone again. She'd be angry and burn something.

Mad narcissistic Cersei shows more grief than Dany ever has across all the seasons. And that's just warped.

1 hour ago, Elayis said:

Adaptional complaints aside, the Cersei of the most recent seasons is simply a boring character to watch. You'd think with the level of praise her performance received that D&D would give better material to work with to show off her range. Just like with Coster-Waldau, what a waste of a talented actor. Cersei was never more fun than in "Blackwater," and I imagine the reason why they never again referenced her behavior from that episode was because Martin wrote it.

Ah ha, I had almost forgotten that part, Martin writing the Blackwater episode and it meaning that the Ds really had nothing much to do with that presentation of Cersei.  Lena did play it well, too.  I always took that as a sign of perhaps prophecies and all threatening to overtake her psyche, but Tywin manages to save the day.  I think that beats back some issues for Cersei, but with Joff's killing, then Tywin's killing and Tyrion going missing.........all bets are off and the crazy, paranoid, WildFire Queen comes to the fore. 

I really don't understand this character of the Ds and Lena's creation, and I don't really want to understand her at this point.  She's beyond boring.  I guess I can't blame Lena for not understanding a lot of things about Cersei, including wardrobe choices.  Cersei may not like having sex with anyone other than Jaime, so far anyway, but she has always enjoyed dressing beautifully, imagining every man, and woman (Hello Taena), must want her.  She's always made sure to dress the part.  Cersei would have had Clapton and her costumes given over to Qyburn and dungeons. 

13 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Guys, guys, we're way over-thinking this whole hair thing.  C'mon!  Jaime finally picked up some Just For KnightsTM hair dye!  He's gettin' a little self-conscious about all that gray hair.  There's really no more to it than that:P

Hahahaha, I love it.  Yup, Jaime might be the only Lannister left that is really worrying about appearances.  Ice Queen of Boredom Cersei sure isn't anymore.  The more metal, chains, and coverups, the better?  Who is that woman, anyway. 

Archived