Rant and Rave Thread

teemo

5 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

In fact, when they got to Needle and Jon asks Arya if she ever used it, I LITERALLY SAID OUT LOUD “Once or twice.”  And then Arya said that same thing (I did the same thing with Cersei in the throne room with “buy a whore… earn a queen” line).  So, to sum up, I CAN NOW ANTICIPATE WHAT GoT dialog will be.

It's funny that you mention this. Right before the show started last night, I turned to my wife and said, within the first 5 lines in the show there will be a dick and/or ball joke. And bet $20 on it. 

Easiest $20 ever made.

Just now, Nerevanin said:

She's like that in the books too... She started as a good character but since ASOS she oscillates between "saviour of all people" and "mad queen"

I really need to reread the books soon because I don't remember as much. That does very vaguely come to mind. I think that the show is mirroring the books, it just seems less subtle, or more jerky. I don't know the best way to phrase it...

1 hour ago, btfu806 said:

It seems like (from my opinion) that this show doesn't know if it wants Dany to be a mad queen or not. Subtly they show it. With her smirking as the Northerners run from her dragons. Or the whole confrontation/remarks with Sansa. Then at the same time, has her show sympathy to Sam for killing his father and brother. It's a weird vibe that I guess shows the battle she is having internally to not be/or to be the mad queen. Or the show wants us to not hate her yet or try to make her a more complicated. I can't tell yet and probably won't know till the end. So this could become a good or bad thing...

Her smirking at the northerners is totally understandable on two levels: they had shown the northerners gawking at these foreigners, including Missandei and Grey Worm and I appreciated that there was no dialogue to nail the point home. But then Dany would've felt them gawking at her in exactly the same way and so that smirk was at the satisfying but harmless comeuppance. The second level is that from her point of view it was hilarious, she's probably used to that reaction at the dragons but at some occasions she allows herself to enjoy it. 

What I agree was problematic was the "feud" with Sansa. Sansa could've been courteous but not warm, a fact that Dany would have remarked to Jon. Point made. No need for this catty stuff we were dealt with.

2 hours ago, LokisRaider said:

There are a bunch of things I could nit pick about but my three real problems are ones that have been recurring over the last few seasons.

- They don't let the story tell the story tell the story and let the viewer come to natural conclusions. ...

- The dialogue is pretty bad for the most part. ...

- Lack of emotional depth or tension. They knew they had all these reunions to do so, boom let's get them all out of the way in the first episode. Made them just feel underwhelming for the most part. 

I truncated your comment but I agree with all points. The main for me is the last point you made, so many reunions to go through, that was unavoidable. But I'd have loved for them to set aside a low budget (by their standards) first episode where they take their time with all the reunions. Just a simple reaction of Jon hearing that Arya was there when their father's head was chopped off. A sense that they're catching up. But all this had to happen in Offscreenville and it makes me a little sad. We spent years with these characters (and actors) in their formative years and to see moments from season 1 being given a payoff years later should've been emotional. But that was secondary, so they get shoved off so that we get ready for some epic battle. 

36 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

You guys still watching this thing? I've given up after season 6 after realizing I get the more same satisfaction from reading a plot synoposis, it avoids all the cringy dialogue and the incoherent scene transitions.

The show is still good compared to other shows. It just lacks the potential of the books that we all crave. Yes, the show makes silly decisions, but it's a fun ride if you can disengage your brain. I (mostly) enjoy it in the moment, but when I have time to think about it, I come into this thread to vent :)

3 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I think I might be able to do the same if I weren't so attached to the original material.  But honestly I don't watch much TV these days because so little of what's on is worth watching, GOT used be to appointment TV for me way back in the early seasons.

I get that. Season 5 almost broke me, but I came back somewhat detached and with lowered expectations and a 'don't think about it, just enjoy the ride' mentality. They failed to meet even those expectations, so I don't question anything as I watch it anymore. The show is good at spectacle - it's just that the build up to spectacle and those moments is way too often surrounded by eyerolls.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

When Rhaegal went into a nose dive, I gesticulated with my hand Jon flipping over, losing his grip and falling to his death. But that didn't happen, because plot.

Yeah the writers scrapped the saddle out of the story and inserted this THEY ARE TARGS SO THEY NATURALLY WRITE DRAGONS AND DON'T FALL OFF. The way they ride those dragons almost look Disney-ish.

it's silly. ASOIAF is fantasy, but GRRM tries to stay realistic on these little things.

1 hour ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

You guys still watching this thing? I've given up after season 6 after realizing I get the more same satisfaction from reading a plot synoposis, it avoids all the cringy dialogue and the incoherent scene transitions.

I hate-watch it since season 4. I'm emotionally attached to ASOIAF and since GRRM don't write anymore, it's the only place I can see that universe again.

26 minutes ago, Ser Morbid said:

Is it just me but idea of sending Theon to Winterfell is ridiculous ? of all people Theon ? The guy who publicly executed ser Rodrik .. you know ... the very respected and loved northerman from noble house ?

It makes sense for this show because the North remembers nothing.  Nobody even knows who Rodrik Cassell was.

45 minutes ago, Nami said:

I hate-watch it since season 4. I'm emotionally attached to ASOIAF and since GRRM don't write anymore, it's the only place I can see that universe again.

That's what I tried to do in season 6, but I just can't even get up the emotion to do that, I just feel plainly apathetic about it.  So for season 7 all I did was read the plot synopsis, and I found it a more efficient way to get everything that I hoping to get out of season 6. So I'm doing that for seson 8 as well.

2 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

It makes sense for this show because the North remembers nothing.  Nobody even knows who Rodrik Cassell was.

Yeah the North remembers when “creatively it makes sense” for D&D, otherwise the North has collective amnesia. 

5 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Ha-ha, all my negatives not negative enough? Do I have to change personality to be able to post here?

You're not supposed to question people posting in this thread why they are so negative, that is all that @Rhodan meant. Ranting is being "on topic".

Last Hearth:

I didn't even get why Ned Umber was to fetch his people himself. Makes no sense. They send ravens to CB and Glovers to tell them - retreat to WF, but hey the little kid lord who's already at WF, and who doesn't have years of horseriding experience has to saddle a horse and go ride north towards the army of the dead and get his people personally, losing several days for the way up and then back again. I mean we all know those ravens could have arrived within 5 mins after being sent to Last Hearth, since we have ravens that can fly at ultrasonic-boom speed from Eastwatch to Dragonstone previous season right? As soon as he was being sent to fetch them personally (on a kid pony probably), you knew he'd end up dead.

The actual Last Hearth scene was as dark as ever. I was hearing sounds but my eyes saw nothing, even when squinting, for half of it. The spiral thing is just some gimmick to me - like a serial killer's signature in wannabe horror movies - and just does nothing for me. I guess they left little Ned Umber to scream his butt off as wight to warn the Others of stragglers. There was some light comedic relief with Edd shouting "keep back, he's got blue eyes". That's the closest they've come to giving Dolorous Edd a funny line since S3. But that's it. I guess he'll be one of the stragglers dying when Tormund and the remaining NW will try to bypass the army of the dead.

Oh god, that was so dark. I don't know why they are in love with dark, dark scenes and color correcting the shit out of the North. Ease up on the blue, we get it! I've seen reviews where people were confused as to why Mel's hair wasn't red anymore.

Archived