The Dragon Riders are all Targs?

Fragile Bird

I have been wondering about the same thing. So far the only Targaryen who is known for spending a lot of time beyond the Wall is Bloodraven but he is not the Night's King. Possibly when Viserion was reanimated he became a thrall and whatever magical allegiance he had to Dany or to any Targaryen was lost.. 

We saw the Night King as a man, didn't we? The Children of the Forest used one of the First Men. I don't think it's possible he had Targaryan blood. 

Or was that just the first White Walker? He looked like the Night King, as I recall. 

4 minutes ago, darmody said:

We saw the Night King as a man, didn't we? The Children of the Forest used one of the First Men. I don't think it's possible he had Targaryan blood. 

Or was that just the first White Walker? He looked like the Night King, as I recall. 

You're correct, he wasn't Targaryen. This argument is a red herring; only Targaryen blood can tame a living dragon (and yes, there was an exception in the Dance of the Dragons - a girl (Nettles?) who fed a dragon sheep since it was a baby, but that wouldn't apply here either).

Eh, the Nettles example is inconclusive. GRRM didn't give us an answer, but gave us fuel for speculation and theories without revealing anything concrete. And did Nettles feed the dragon since it was a baby? That's not my recollection.

In the books there's hits that the long night happened all over planetos at one point, so he could possibly have Valeryan roots.

That being said, i think a dragon isn't a dragon anymore once dead. He is simply a tool that the NK reanimated, and is making use of.

31 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Eh, the Nettles example is inconclusive. GRRM didn't give us an answer, but gave us fuel for speculation and theories without revealing anything concrete. And did Nettles feed the dragon since it was a baby? That's not my recollection.

Haven't read the story for a while but my impression was that while many tried to tame Sheepstealer (he was a wild dragon wasn't he?) only Nettles was successful. It was never specified for how long she was feeding him sheeps though and I am almost certain that this particular dragon was older than Nettles.

3 minutes ago, Danelle said:

Haven't read the story for a while but my impression was that while many tried to tame Sheepstealer (he was a wild dragon wasn't he?) only Nettles was successful. It was never specified for how long she was feeding him sheeps though and I am almost certain that this particular dragon was older than Nettles.

Yeah, I can't quote anything from it either, but I do recall that the point was she'd built up a relationship with the wild dragon that set her apart from other non-Targaryans. Maybe not since it was a baby, but over a considerable period of time. But my main point is as magicpen says, it doesn't apply to an undead dragon.

Interesting idea and frankly I haven't thought about it before. I think that the answer is no and I think that riding dragons isn't exclusive to Targaeryens, whether the dragon is alive or undead. I think that the Targaeryens have some kind of predispositions for being dragon masters but other people can rarely be dragon masters too (as the Nettles girl mentioned above).

As for the undead dragon, I think he is under NK's command mostly because the dragon is undead. If NK can command other undeads, there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to command dragons too.

Viserion is just a husk. The Night King must have some kind of skinchanging ability, and unlike an alive human a husk won't put up any resistance to their body being taken over. I wouldn't be surprised if Bran at some point in the season takes over Viserion's body to bring the Night King down. 

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The Night King must be a Targ, then, right? Who is he?

No, I don't think that wight dragons ("Ice Dragons") follow the same rules. Maybe Fire and Ice reverse each other.

Live dragons are only ridden by "Fire", i.e. Targaryens.  The wight dragon has been raised by the Nightking. As we know, all wights are directly controlled by the White Wanderer who raised them. Wight dragons do not need to be an exception.

While it seems impossible that the NK is a Targ and unlikely that he is another Valyrian bloodline, it is entirely possibly that he is a precursor to the Valyrians. He may have made some warm fleshy kids before he got too cold and brittle and had to start making them out of Crasters sons - he may have had some time where he just had blue eyes (kind of like Uncle Benjin) and was still capable of normal biological copulation. What the Children did to him could be the source of all human magic, and magical human bloodlines, in the story.

The belief is that you need to have Valyrian blood to tame a dragon. The Velayrons of Driftmark were a Valyrian House as or near as old and pure as the Targaryens. Aegon I's mother was a Velayron. Rhaenyra Targaryen's husband,  Laenor Velayron, had two bastards (though most likely they belonged to his father, Corlys the Sea Snake) named Addam and Alyn who both tried to tame a dragon during the Dance.  Addam succeeded. 

As far as Nettle, my recollection is that she didn't start feeding Sheepstealer until after the call for new dragon riders went out. As Gertrude pointed out, the situation is murky on whether her taming Sheepstealer is only because she fed him. While it's pointed out a few times that she was "brown as a nut", that doesn't mean she couldn't have been what was called a dragonseed. Rhaegar's daughter looked Dornish.

And has been pointed out elsewhere, Viserion might not actually be a Wight but in fact a Walker. When the NK raised him, he touched him on the head just as he did when he turned the baby in season 4. That's not definitive proof but it's worth noting.

22 minutes ago, Trebla said:

When the NK raised him, he touched him on the head just as he did when he turned the baby in season 4. That's not definitive proof but it's worth noting.

That's true and remarkable, but the baby was alive and turned, while the dragonw as dead and resurrected. The later should lead to a wight. But I agree, it's an unclear situation.

2 minutes ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

I thought it was obvious that the whoever the NK kills and re-animates becomes enthralled to him.

Fully agree. That's how I see it. He raised the dragon, he controls it. Simple as that. 

There is no way that The NK could be of Valyrian blood since Valyria did not exist until at least 3000 years after the war of the dawn which occurred 2000 years after the creation of the white walkers. 

Like other have said the dragon was dead when it was brought back it came under the control of the NK like all the wrights.  They lose their free will and become tools of the walkers.  

So many cool answers here, thanks guys!

1 hour ago, Trebla said:

The belief is that you need to have Valyrian blood to tame a dragon. The Velayrons of Driftmark were a Valyrian House as or near as old and pure as the Targaryens. 

And has been pointed out elsewhere, Viserion might not actually be a Wight but in fact a Walker. When the NK raised him, he touched him on the head just as he did when he turned the baby in season 4. That's not definitive proof but it's worth noting.

Good point about Valyrians.

And wights are the risen dead and Walkers are the babies transformed? So that should make Viserion a wight, except he was touched so maybe not?

Archived