The Dragon Riders are all Targs?

Fragile Bird

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

So that should make Viserion a wight, except he was touched so maybe not?

Indeed. For me he is a wight dragon.

The touch is a continuity problem, but we could argue that raising the dead can be done by touch or gesture.

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

Yeh, we saw him created by the COTF, supposedly during the Long Night although oddly it was daytime.

Except the other story is that he was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, long after the CotF created the first one.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Except the other story is that he was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, long after the CotF created the first one.

Ah yes, although it may not have been 'long after'. During a war there may have been a rapid turnover of Lords Commander - 13 from the start to finish of the long night is not unfeasible. However, given a whole spin-off entitled 'The Long Night' is next up, I'm assuming all such speculation will be saved for that.

Just now, House Cambodia said:

Ah yes, although it may not have been 'long after'. During a war there may have been a rapid turnover of Lords Commander - 13 from the start to finish of the long night is not unfeasible. However, given a whole spin-off entitled 'The Long Night' is next up, I'm assuming all such speculation will be saved for that.

Well, I think the CotF created the first White Walker, not the Night King. If there were no WW yet, who would he be king of? The WW were supposed to drive out the First Men, but that went so wrong the CotF ended up making allies with the First Men to drive out the Night Walkers. They drove them north and built the Wall, which would have taken decades if not centuries. Thirteen commanders probably means at least 100 years more.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

the CotF created the first White Walker, not the Night King. If there were no WW yet, who would he be king of?

Right. The CotF created the first WW. That's it. 

Whether the Nighking has any special abilities or is just a leader, we don't really know .

I just wanted to add this. At the end of last season it seemed to me that seeing the NK get up on a re-animated Viserion just made sense at the time. NK + wight. Just the way they ride the horses too.

But, this opener, showing how Jon practically gets invited to climb up on his dragon in spite of his fears, just seems to scream out you must have Targ blood to ride a dragon. I don't care if it's an ice dragon, you still have to be a Targ. And then the show goes out of the way to point out the NK has the dragon. 

My take had been the valyarians used some kind of blood magic/sacrafice to tame the dragons.  Somehow that marked thier blood as well and is passed down to thier children.  Hence inbreeding to keep the line pure.  Some bastards managed to tame dragons so apparently some half valyarians inherit whatever blood sacrafice resulted.  The dragons i suppose can sense/smell that and if they deem the guy worthy then they let them ride them?  

In the books it is quite clear that dragons can only be ridden by descendants of dragonlords.

In the show this has not been established, so it makes no sense to waste thoughts on this kind of thing.

But it is quite clear that the wight dragon does whatever the Lich King tells him to. This would have nothing to do with stuff from the book.

So in here people were saying that once Viserion was changed his allegiances changed / no longer need Targ blood. Got me thinking about how Dany would change if she were a wigt, would she still be fireproof ??? Cause that would make her quite an interesting / important wigt 

On 4/15/2019 at 4:34 PM, Lord Varys said:

In the books it is quite clear that dragons can only be ridden by descendants of dragonlords.

In the show this has not been established, so it makes no sense to waste thoughts on this kind of thing.

But it is quite clear that the wight dragon does whatever the Lich King tells him to. This would have nothing to do with stuff from the book.

I agree, the show never brought that up.  My only when it comes to Viserion is that he is now a slave to The Night King.  Which gets me to thinking what Dany said in season 3 episode 4, and then again in season 7 episode 7. “A dragon is not a slave.”  I think something might happen when the Night King tries to use Viserion to attack Dany or the other dragons.  Maybe he won’t attack them, I don’t know.  I stated in another thread that Bryan Cogman listed 21 episodes to rewatch before season 8, one of them is season 3 episode 4.

3 hours ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

I agree, the show never brought that up.  My only when it comes to Viserion is that he is now a slave to The Night King.  Which gets me to thinking what Dany said in season 3 episode 4, and then again in season 7 episode 7. “A dragon is not a slave.”  I think something might happen when the Night King tries to use Viserion to attack Dany or the other dragons.  Maybe he won’t attack them, I don’t know.  I stated in another thread that Bryan Cogman listed 21 episodes to rewatch before season 8, one of them is season 3 episode 4.

To add to this, the CotF used dragonglass on Benjen from keeping him from turning into a wight. ( oh and hey, what is up with Bran drinking blood, is that what he eats now?). Can Viserion be turned back, using the method the CotF used on Benjen? 

5 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Can Viserion be turned back, using the method the CotF used on Benjen? 

No, probably not. Benjen was saved BEFORE he died. The Children of the Forest push the dragon class into him while he lived. Viserion was dead and got raised as a wight dragon. Wights are just remote-controlled.

Archived