Who knows Jon has come back from the dead?

shawnpmcd

I guess we are supposed to asume that Sansa informed Arya. I don't recall that it's common knowledge in the North, only the people closer to him know. And that's the main reason why the Northen Lords not  confronting Jon for leaving the Night's Watch was a serious inconsistency in season 6. Anyway, Sansa knew.

I think Danaerys knows too, in the moment she saw his wounds she realized that it wasn't a "figure of speech" when Davos said that Jon  " took a knife in the heart for his people"

She probably found out from Bran or Sansa. There where quite a few witnesses at Castle Black too, so I think eventually rumors will start to spread around the North, each one more exaggerated then the last. Who knows, in a thousand years time Jon might get worshiped as some sort or Jesus like figure. 

12 hours ago, shawnpmcd said:

Is it common knowledge in The North?

I believe so, yes.

1. The whole Nightwatch and the Wildlings know and you cannot keep such a secret. 

2. There is no other explanation that no one challenges his Nightwatch's oath. He died and his watch ended.

12 hours ago, shawnpmcd said:

Dany doesn't know, right?

Initially, Davos had a slip of tongue, then it later was down-talked to a "figure of speech" -- and then Daenerys had sex with him and saw his chest wounds, so she actually might know or at least wonder about what really happened. We simply don't know, but Daenerys should be able to guess that there was more to it than just a "figure of speech".

Didn't Tormund say the wildlings thought he was a messiah or something back after it happened? I'd guess a messiah is something worth talking to each other about, especially when there is no internet with dumb stuff on it, so quite a few people probably know.

2 hours ago, ummester said:

so quite a few people probably know.

All the wildlings know and all of the Nightwatch, incl. guests like Davos and Melisandre. That's for sure. 

Sansa most probably knows, so will Arya. We have to accept hat they know the truth. I have no problem with that. It makes sense.

I was a bit confused when she asked him about it as well, I thought back to the scene in the dragonstone throne room when Davos had the slip of the tongue and Jon looked at him like he did not want anyone to know what happened.  So I kind of assumed that he did not want people to know it.  I dont think there was some big announcement.

The best I can figure is that the wildlings women and children who came down to Winterfell were talking about it and eventhough the Northmen would probably not be mingling with and associating with the wildlings but people talk and things are overheard.  The rumors start to swirl and the story is he was stabbed in the heart but somehow survived the bit about being a messiah is being written off as wildling stories.  

Just now, xander_blackfyre said:

I dont think there was some big announcement.

Me neither. 

But the Nightwatch and the Wildlings know, because they knew he was dead and seen his corpse. And they saw him alive again. They accepted "his watch is over".

If everyone in the North really knows about Jon's resurrection, it's funny that no one is scared about it. I mean, you are expecting a huge army of walking dead to be at your gates any day and yet your leader is kinda a zombie too. Makes total sense. It's clear that Jon isn't the same thing as wights but how can everyone be so sure that he isn't dangerous / that they can trust him?

6 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Between undead wights and a resurrected man couldn't be any bigger difference. It's extremelys easy to imagine that the people realise that, too.

It's clear that Jon isn't the same thing as wights but how can everyone be so sure that he isn't dangerous / that they can trust him?

13 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

It's clear that Jon isn't the same thing as wights but how can everyone be so sure that he isn't dangerous / that they can trust him?

He looks and behaves just as normal. They trust in the Starks. I see no problem there.

Western people are too enlightened to care about shit like that. Tricks like surviving fire may work on eastern savages but western folk? Naaaah. Come back from the dead? Meh. Blow up the religious leader? Meh. Blow up the sacred church? Meh. Who cares about shit anyway? 

I think it goes in the category of stuff the show isn't going to deal with.  Communication lines are much like transportation, time passage and logistics in the show.  They only matter when they matter.  I find it a bit jarring at times but easily forgivable when they are doing other things right, but very annoying when they are in Dumb and Dumber mode.  It's like a partner who chews with their mouth open...

Assuming (most) everyone knows is only odd when they made such a point about Jon not wanting Dany to know, which I never understood.

The people around him have accepted dragons, the walking dead, warlocks, I guess they accept this.

If it shows up later as a plot point (like Davos suddenly finding out Shireen was burned to death), then it's problematic as it switches from stuff we didn't want to spend screen time on to stuff we were too stupid/lazy to write well.

It's probably pretty common knowledge, at least in the north.
The fact that the Wildlings and the Nights Watch all know means there's a lot of people who know, and "rumors" like this spread fast.

As for show-characters, the better question is "who *doesn't* know" at this point.

Archived